Kerry Seeks Release of Roberts’ Documents

From AP: Democratic Sen. John Kerry urged the White House on Friday to release “in their entirety” all documents and memos from Supreme Court nominee John Roberts’ tenure in two Republican administrations.

“We cannot do our duty if either Judge Roberts or the Bush administration hides elements of his professional record,” said the Massachusetts senator who was his party’s presidential candidate last year.

See related post below with Kerry’s statement.

11 Responses to Kerry Seeks Release of Roberts’ Documents

1. Marjorie G says:

Guess that tells me what he was doing today instead of grilling Hughes. Should we post that as defense?

2. Marjorie G says:

SF Gate didn’t mention civil rights or any great content of Kerry’s statement, but they also didn’t say failed presidential candidate. Could the tide be turning?

3. Margorie

The SF Gate loves JK. It’s the same story as the one I posted below. It’s all over the news wires. A lot of coverage! And good coverage. The article makes note that Kerry is not on the Judicial Committee and is pushing this.

Also see my post below that links to Ted Kennedy’s website and read his statement about Roberts and Civil Rights.

4. kj says:

The civil rights is new to me… actually, all of Robert’s record is. Thanks for the links, Pamela. I’ll be sure to read Uncle Teddy’s statement also.

5. Ron Chusid says:

There’s always his position on kids eating french fries in the subway.

In case anyone hasn’t heard the story, the police started a zero tolerance policy as to eating in the subway. Due to a quirk in the law, they could give citations to adults but had to arrest children. The family of one kid, I believe age 12, arrested for eating french fries in the subway, sued hoping to get this expunged from her record. Roberts voted against this. Most likely he was technically right on the law, but sometimes it makes sense to bend the law a little. (Of couse Fritz might consider this to be as bad as judicial activism).

6. Wow, right on the law or not, what a jerky thing to do.

I don’t like him. He’s too smooth looking and I don’t know something about him bothers me.

7. Here’s the scoop from the B Globe —

Civil rights groups cite concerns over Roberts
    Question record on voting, busing
    By Charlie Savage, Globe Staff | July 22, 2005

WASHINGTON — Supreme Court nominee John G. Roberts Jr. has a history of working to roll back government affirmative action and voting rights programs enacted to help minorities overcome the effects of past discrimination, leading some civil rights groups to eye him warily.

8. Ron Chusid says:

Correction: Apparently it was just one french fry for which the girl was arrested.

To be fair, some Roberts supporters claim it was a really big steak fry.

9. kj says:

She was fried for a fry. Well, it *was* French, after all. 😉

10. Speaking of French…

Oui! Oui! The picture in the thread above of JK and Lance Armstrong is awesome. I just went through most of the photos at the link that Ron posted in the thread. Very cool.