Rick Santorum claimed yesterday on ABC’s “This Week with George Stephanopoulos” that in July 2002, when he wrote the article that has recently resurfaced, calling Boston the “liberal” seat of church abuse, he did not know that there were similar cases in PA. In my earlier post on this today, I noted that George Stephanopoulos called him on that statement.

Since my earlier post on this, I have received numerous newspaper articles from an anonymous source, dating back to March 2002 that all make reference to church abuse cases in PA. The most interesting article was from July 12, 2002 – Capitol Hill Pastor Faces Child Sex Case.

The pastor of a historic Capitol Hill parish that serves many Roman Catholic members of Congress was placed on leave yesterday after a Washington area man accused him of sexual abuse in the early 1970s, the second such allegation against the priest.

The last paragraph of the article notes that among the church’s parishioners included “Sens. Pete Domenici (R-N.M.) and Rick Santorum (R-Pa.).”

It’s absolutely despicable that Rick Santorum is playing politics with with the victims of these cases. If this is some sort of marketing ploy to sell his new book to conservatives it’s a sick joke aimed towards those who have suffered. No man with any sense of moral dignity, would continue pushing this issue as Santorum has.

It’s time for Rick Santorum to step up to the plate and do the right thing, as it is he who dredged up these painful memories and put them back in the limelight. Instead of working to help heal the victims of church abuse Santorum has perpetuated the ugliest of rumors and lies in the name of politics and marketing.

On July 21st, Santorum met with the leaders of Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP), and made promises “to find out why the U.S. Justice Department has taken no action to investigate the Catholic Church’s secret transport of pedophile priests across state lines and international boundaries via church operated “treatment” and “retreat” facilities. ”

SNAP issued a press release today regarding Santorum’s latest outburst yesterday and queried as to when they could expect a response from Santorum. Read the press release here.

A March 3, 2002, NY Times article shows that the Vatican was aware of the full scope of the abuse problem. Yet, Rick Santorum, a self purported good Catholic claimed not to have know of any where in the country outside of MA that was stricken by the issue. Sorry, but such denial doesn’t wash.

A March 5th, NY Times article states that “several dioceses, including New Hampshire’s and Philadelphia’s, immediately suspended any priests ever accused of abusing children.”

It’s time for Rick Santorum to stop trying to score cheap political points and sell his book on the back of children who have been victims of sexual abuse. Such pandering is the lowest of low.

Related Post: Kerry Takes on Santorum in Fundraising Email

UPDATED – RELATED POST:
Santorum’s Slam on Boston Comes Back to Haunt Him
September 22nd, 2005

38 Responses to Santorum Knew: Priest in D.C. Church where Santorum Worships Charged with Sex Abuse in July 2002

1. Jalapeno says:

Yes–and how about the troubling fact that the real problem in Boston wasn’t the liberal culture, but the ultraconservative Cardinal who orchestrated the massive cover-up, then skedaddled to the Vatican to hide under the skirts of the conservative Pope when the whole thing blew up, leaving all the “liberals” to clean up his mess. The real problem was the conservatives for whom the Church superseded civil authorities. Church rules State….hmmmm…..

2. Joseph Logue says:

Let’s not forget the article of Canon Law that allows any prelate at any time to tell any lie to any secular authority to protect the interests of the Church. I remember reading how hard JFK had to work to convince people that his allegiance was to the US and its Constiitution, and not to Rome. How times change.

3. Ninja says:

First of all, nothing Santorum says surprises me. I’m living in W.PA. But
    I have learned to consider the source. After hearing his tirate on C-Span’s book review, he sounds more like a candidate for the priesthood than to be running for the 2nd highest position in the senate. Wake up PA voters-LET’S OUTSOURCE SANTORUM. …Little quote from Gibran—–
    “He brings disater upon his nation who never sows a seed, or lays a brick, or weaves a garment, BUT MAKES POLITICS HIS OCCUPATION”.
    Time for a sweeping change in all areas.

4. Grace says:

Santorum is a certified idiot. He gives all concerned Roman Catholics a bad name. But it is surprising how many thoughtful people agree with him!

The irony is that a true Catholic christian like John Kerry was smeared by the Republican talking machine and the church for not being true to the standards set by the most right wing conservatives in the church.

I know it makes me want to become an Episcopalian. If enough concerned Catholics would leave and take their money with them, then the church might listen.

My country and my church are failing me more each day.

5. Jalapeno says:

Hey Ninja–what was the deal where he scammed his hometown school district to pay for home-schooling for his kids, who were in DC? Guess Mom doesn’t have to work when you’re benefitting from that type of largesse…

6. Jalapeno says:

Oh, and by the way, where is the Church on all these death-penalty “pro-lifers”?

7. Grace says:

jalapeno;
    Santorum did charge the Penn Hills school districe in western PA for the turition for his children who now live in Virginia. The residence he owns in that district is occupied by a cousin (or some other relative) and his family. Santorum’s children are using the computer based education certified in Pennsylvania. When the school board sued to get the money back, the judge decided that the school district “took too long to file charges”. As of now, he does not have to pay anything back to PA.

He and his wife also ducked more than 8 calls for jury duty and then when
    this news hit about the tuition, suddenly they both showed up for duty. He
    made the snide remark “if that is how the people of PA want their Senator to use his valubale time” thereby denigrating the whole function of the justice system as set up in the US constitution.

And he wants re-elected!!!!

8. Liam says:

Grace says, “My country and my church are failing me more each day.”

9. Grace

I have to agree, Santorum gives concerned Catholics a bad name. It’s this sort of behavior that has driven people from the Catholic church. Old Boston Yankees are actually rather conservative although they might be Dems. It’s the proper Bostonian thing. Santorum is clueless.

10. everett says:

Liam,

I think Grace will stay and help clean up the mess YOUR party has made of this country.

11. Grace says:

Thanks Everett;

I intend to do just that. Maybe Liam should leave. No ,he should stay and face the music when these thugs are “outed”. I do know that will happen maybe later rather than sooner, but it will happen.

12. Well said Everett!

It’s great to see some new voices here… I hope you will keep visiting!

13. Tony says:

Santorum is an idiot. “Liam” is an idiot. Grace speaks her mind against conservative style. As a typical conservative, “Liam” wants her to disappear. While on the subject of church related to conservatism I always like to point out the thousands of dead people in Iraq – ours and theirs alike, we’re all human. Nobody seems to care about all the dead people. How can any church or “religious” figure, like Santorum, who proudly wears his faith on his shirt sleeve, support the current activity in the middle east? Yeah, yeah, over there instead of here…grow up have a notion of your own. Puke on you Santorum and “Liam” and those you support. I can’t wait to see all you arrogant, immoral, unconscionable, criminal, deceitful, animals crawl back under your rocks. It will happen soon and there will be those of us who ensure your stay.

14. Liam says:

Tony says: “Puke on you Santorum and “Liam” and those you support. I can’t wait to see all you arrogant, immoral, unconscionable, criminal, deceitful, animals crawl back under your rocks. It will happen soon and there will be those of us who ensure your stay. ”

Calm down, Tony, you bleedin’ mental case. This is what happens when you skip your meds.

15. Liam

Clearly you don’t think that people can’t express their opinions about Santorum, do you?

16. Grace says:

Thank you Pamela. I hope we can all express our opinions, even Liam. I hope he continues to monitor this blog. Maybe we can change his mind about Santorum at least. I live in PA too and there isn’t a bigger hypocrit in the Senate than he is. When he was electd to the House, he slimed Doug Walgren and made an issue of him living in Virginia and representing PA. Lo and behold, who is doing the same thing? Little Ricky Santorum, but I forgot, he has “family values” and we don’t.

I guess killing 18oo Americans and thousands of innocent Iraqis somehow translates into “family values”. Cutting funding for after school programs is “family values”. Giving big tax breaks to the super rich is “family values”. Howard Dean is the only Democrat saying these things and we all better get on message or we will be stuck with little ricky for 6 more years!!!!

17. Hi Grace,

Santorum is one of the biggest hypocrites there is. I don’t see that he has a clue about family values. I’m originally from MA, and a Kerry supporter, so I take great offense to his recent attacks on MA and both Senators Kerry and Kennedy.

Democrats do need to get on message, and there are alot of who are out there fighting the good, along with Howard Dean. Personally the two good Senators from MA are on the top of my list when it comes to talking about the issues you’ve mentioned and a whole lot more!

Stick around… we’re just getting started on the DemDaily. We’ve already got one like Liam who loves to come here and tout his opinion, we welcome the debate, but prefer to stay out of the fray of attacking our own and mudslinging. 😉

18. Liam says:

Ms. Leavey writes: “Stick around… we’re just getting started on the DemDaily. We’ve already got one like Liam who loves to come here and tout his opinion, we welcome the debate, but prefer to stay out of the fray of attacking our own and mudslinging.”

You say I love to come here and “tout” my opiniion. For Christ’s sake! isn’t that what blogs are for? As for “mudslinging,” take a look at Tony’s rant below. That, Ms. Leavey, is mudslinging. Care to comment on Tony? Or is he one of your “own” so you give him a pass? I think something’s wrong with the boy.

19. sam says:

I don’t really need to comment on the obvious.

20. sam says:

do you?

21. Liam

I was responding to Grace, so if I mentioned you in the 3rd person I apologize.

I do believe your comment “Maybe you should leave your country and leave your church then. Both doors are open.”, triggered some reactions that you were here as a Santorum sympathizer. If that is the case, you will find no sympathy from me.

If you are not a Santorum sympathizer, then there is no need to get in huff. Thanks for sharing.

22. cilantro says:

I watched Santorum on CNN the other day and he said something and then tried to cover it up. He said that all of the left or liberals are tolerant of everything. They don’t hold people accountable. Then he said that conservatives teach honesty, hard work, faith, ect… But then quickly added that liberals want that those qualities too. My first reaction was if I’m a liberal that tolerates everything then the flip is that all conservatives have no tolerance of everything. If it isn’t what they believe, it’s wrong.

23. delusional says:

Santorum 08′. It takes a family is a must read, well so I heard. But I know that Rick goes to Church 2 hours a week so that makes him spiritual. What he does the other 166 hours doesn’t concern me.

24. Delusional

How long a person spends in church weekly does not make that person a spiritual person. A spiritual person rises above such attacks as Santorum has leveled. A spiritual person does not consider himself to be better than others.

I’m an only parent who has single-handedly raised an honor student who will graduate high school next year. She’s bright, sensitive, compassionate, constantly praised by her teachers and other adults for her well balanced, well adjusted nature.

It does not take a family. There are children raised in single parent homes who turn out just as good as those raised by two parents. Being a religious conservative doesn’t give anyone entitlement to better parenting or better kids. That’s a fact.

25. charles nau says:

Out of all of these comments, why has no one noted that the newspaper article quoted as “proof” that the Senator is a hypocrite does nothing of the sort. It refers to a scandal in Washington DC, not PA.

26. Charles

Actually if you read the article you will see that the charges filed against the priest in question, were filed in PA:

“The archdiocese placed Lavin on leave the day after a second accuser, George Kresslein, 45, of Annandale came forward. Kresslein said he filed a report with the Pittston, Pa., police department last month and described his alleged abuse to a church official for the first time Wednesday in a 30-minute meeting with Auxiliary Bishop Kevin J. Farrell.” –

The other articles linked also note cases in PA. It’s impossible that he did not know. The entire country knew, it was widespread by the time he wrote that attack piece on MA.

27. NativeTexan4Kerry

The choice is obvious! 🙂

28. GOP=Traitors says:

You know it’s funny how all these idiot Cons use some sort of variation of the phrase, “If you don’t like America then get the hell out!!” But the truth is, they’re the ones who hate America. Why else are they trying so hard to change all the things that make it what it is? Cons hate America!!

29. Casey06 says:

Let’s not forget the large settlement that Mrs. Santorm collected before Ricky decided that we need tort reform in this country!

[url=http://blog.thedemocraticdaily.com/?p=124]The Democratic Daily Blog » Blog Archive » Santorum Knew: Priest in D.C. Church where Santorum Worships Charged with Sex Abuse in July 2002[/url]

30. flipper says:

Like GOP=Traitors, I also love it when conservatives whip out the “If you don’t like America, get the hell out” argument. It’s just so . . . adolescent. I like to compare my relationship with America to my relationship with my husband–it’s built on all-encompassing love and respect, but it’s not without its problems. And just because there are some problems, does that mean I’m going to leave my husband? No. I’m going to stay and work and try to make things better. Similarly, I’m not going to “get the hell out of America” just because America only does about 30% of the housework even though we both work full-time.

See? When liberals criticize things that are going on in this country, it’s because we love this country and want to work to fix everything that Bush has messed up. But conservatives can’t understand this, because most of them are still stuck in that “my dad can beat up your dad” mentality–facile, childish, ignorant.

Not to plug my blog, but I did write a long piece on Santorum a while back that some of you might enjoy. Check out the blog title “Good Ol’ Saint Rick.”

31. Stephen Taylor says:

Hey! I liked your site very much!

32. Dinodean says:

Funny, I took the advise, ‘If you don’t like it in the US, or the Catholic Church, leave.’

I did leave and want to thank the rotten f**kers who did me the favor of pointing out that one does not have to just ‘get over it’ and other dumb cliches.

I escaped the rampant, fudal, IMPERIALIST, Corporate Fascism now appearing in all the local locations, and all the ILLEGAL, immoral, unprincipaled, neo-cons, and their screaming cronies, the Oil Mafia, the Armaments Mafia, the innumberable cons now being practiced on the US people.

Proud to take good advise, no matter where it comes from. There is life in other locations that is not manipulated by the US neo-cons. REALLY!!

HAPPY EX-PAT!!!

F**k them, let them roast in their own pork, just like they are now being served. Bush, the trust fund, frat brat, Cheney, the chickenhawk, Bolten the unbuttoned sociopath, and the whole pack of them.

It is great soap-opera stuff when you live outside of their juristiction.

33. Caroline Fagerlund Says:
    October 17th, 2005 at 9:47 pm

Spam alert!!!!!

34. Donnie

Yuck! Thank you — bad spam too. Thank god(dess) for Spam B Gone!

35. Anthony Clark says:

You’re doing a great work here. I enjoyed visiting here very much. Thanks!

36. KJ says: