Kerry to Ride in Pan-Massachusetts Challenge This Weekend

Mettle to the pedal: Senator John Kerry, his brother Cameron Kerry, and Joe Kennedy, president of Citizens Energy Corp., will join Pan-Massachusetts Challenge founder Billy Starr in this weekend’s two-day bike ride event to raise money for the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

The Pan-Massachusetts Challenge is a 189 bicycle ride through Massachusetts to raise money for the Dana-Farber cancer Institute.

Pan-Massachusetts Challenge

PMC cyclists use their strength to help those who cannot. With each mile pedaled, the PMC brings researchers closer to finding cures for various types of cancer that affect millions of people each year.

In August 2003, just months after undergoing surgery and treatment for prostate cancer, Kerry finished the 110-mile Pan-Massachusetts Challenge in 6 1/2 hours. He came in at 32nd place in the field of 3,700 riders.

“It was thrilling to once again join the thousands of bikers taking part in the Pan-Mass Challenge. The PMC is a national model of compassion and commitment in the fight to cure cancer. I congratulate all the organizers, volunteers, participants and all of you who took the extra step to contribute to this important cause. This was a great day for biking and a greater day for the fight against cancer.” – John Kerry

24 Responses to Kerry to Ride in Pan-Massachusetts Challenge This Weekend

1. Teresa says:

Oh my heart! This man!

He sure as hell pedals better than this pathetic so called president we have.

2. Teresa

I hear you… on all counts. I hope there will be some photos somewhere online. I remember when he did this in 03. I found the link to my piece on the UnBlog about it (click on his name on the end). I had hoped there was a photo there but there wasn’t. Meanwhile W is down on the ranch and there’s goofy pictures of him in his pickup. Hold me back, I can’t stand the charisma–or lack there of.

3. Teresa says:

Yeah. Back to his beloved chain saw.

There will be Kerry photos. The camera loves him.

4. Marjorie G says:

Charisma is a personal thing, and parroting the media’s image, the blogs still reliving last year because of Hackett call Kerry a goofy Professor and not Clinton. Well, they have that right, thank goodness.

He is the substantive, soulful GQ guy, maybe a little goofy, but what an athlete. Real renaissance man. Can’t wait for more photos to put on my desktop montage. My own coping with denial.

5. NativeTexan4Kerry says:

6. Marjorie G says:

Clarify the numbers, please. If 3,700 riders last year, only 189 this year? Or is it 189 miles?

Want to include somewhere.

7. Marjorie

It was ’03 the last time he rode, there were 3700 riders and he rode 110 miles.

There are various options for ride depending on the riders abilities:

Two-Day Rides: (August 6 & 7)
    Sturbridge to Provincetown Inn – 189 miles
    Sturbridge to Wellesley – 178 miles
    Wellesley to Provincetown Inn – 161 miles
    Wellesley to Wellesley – 151 miles
    One-Day Rides: (August 6)
    Sturbridge to Bourne – 111 miles
    Wellesley to Bourne – 83 miles
    One-Day Volunteer Ride: (August 7)
    Bourne to Wellesley – 68 miles

8. Marjorie G says:

Thanks, Pamela. Now what is this about a chain-saw. A photo-op, or GW with his own Texas massacre?

9. Indie Liberal says:

Kerry raises money while Bush kills the environment. (Hee hee!)

10. Marjorie

I think Indlie Liberal put that well… Has anyone read Crimes Against Nature?

11. Marjorie G says:

I though the Crawford ranch was eco-friendly, perhaps the only place on the planet.

With the universe falling apart, will someone tell the media and polls to stop projecting ’08, there is work to do.

Guiliani and McCain ahead, beating Hillary, then JK. From the momentary leadership of Rudy during 911, making amends for everything that came before, does everyone know he is going around hyping the defective communication devices used at 911, responsible for so many firemens’ deaths, for a profit. That bit of culpability was also left out of the 911 hearing.

McCain is a phony, sorry, despite his heroic survival. Too much political compromise to be straight-talking.

12. Teresa says:

Bush’s idea of fun and relaxation is destroying something. So is his idea of work.

If we could master anything, it would be to develop an immunitry to the ‘fear of polls’. The ’08 polls are ridiculous. Hillary is a pop star and is polling well(ahead of Kerry) because she is in the news. Same thing with McCain, as he has been portrayed as a very safe moderate. The media is fucking with our heads. Don’t fall for it.

My bet is that if Kerry ran against McCain in ’08 it would be an interesting race, but Kerry would win.

13. Marjorie G says:

Teresa, safety and security will still be an issue, as all the messes and al Quaeda will still need cleaning up, intelligently, for at least 10 years.

Kerry’s competition will be Biden, cheerful and simple answers, reassuring to some, and the money likes him. I’m not as thrilled, but any anti-war knee jerk candidate embraced by our purists will cause the whole party problems.

And then there’s Hillary. We really really need to focus on ’06 and election reform, but the media is doing easy entertainment news again.

14. Ron Chusid says:

It’s way too early to predict who will be the nominees in 2008.

One possibility to look for with the Republicans is that appearing connected to Bush could be a major negative factor with regards to electability.

It will also be interesting to see how their various factions fight it out. If Row v. Wade hasn’t been overturned (and I doubt it will be) it will be interesting to see if the religious right is still a factor.

15. BlueWashington says:

Hey fellow Dems!

There’s a nice video clip on the Boston Globe’s NECN connection interviewing JK. They talk about Kerry’s Pan-Mass ride, cancer research and his own bout with the disease. I’d give you the connection right here, but alas, I’m not that good.

Go look, it’s worth your time.

16. Marjorie G says:

These links will hopefully work as a copy and paster, although pasted hot. I am not a tech savvy.
    Pan-Mass Challenge on NECN homepage, and below the direct link to the video with John Kerry talking about the PMC and his cured bout with cancer .

17. Marjorie G says:

The video link is direct, but takes a while. Currently there is a link on the homepage for the same video.

18. Marjorie G says:

I should never try these video links again. The main home page is correct, above, but I infused it with with the hot link, somehow. Copy and paste it. Also, the direct Kerry video link is no longer on the home page. Use above.

19. Marjorie

I worked for me! They cut him off talking about Iraq!

20. Marjorie G says:

Noticed that. Deliberate or just non-PMC and in over-time?

Wasn’t he fabulous…He speaks such wonderful, WHOLE sentences. What a treat.

21. Marjorie

It was wonderful. Leaders who know how to speak and formulate thoughts into sentences, let alone action should be in demand, don’t you think?

I’ve been searching online for some photos but have not found anything yet.

22. Nick says:

I agree its too early to predict 2008, but what the hell. As far as I’m concerned, Dems should keep a watchful eye on Virginia Senator George Allen. That’s my two cents.

23. If I’m not mistaken we never heard about W riding a bicycle until after JK rode in the Pan MA, in 2003. W can’t stay on bicycle because he’s not an avid cyclist like JK, that’s just a meme.

24. Ginny in Co says:

JK can also stay on skis, a snowboard, a motorcycle and a windsurfing craft. It just makes me wonder where the critics get the stuck up, patrician, elite east coaster image.

Wanted for ’08 presidential nominee: intelligent (IQ and EQ), skilled, experienced, thinking individual willing to take on a real mell of a hess.

But first, the ’06 challenge; retake the Senate/House. Then we can watch W fall off his presidency!