When Will it End?

As Cindy Sheehan sits camped outside of Bush’s ranch, waiting for what may never transpire, an audience with George W. Bush, there are new reports today that the National Guard and Reserve have “suffered more combat deaths in Iraq during the first 10 days of August — at least 32, according to a Pentagon count — than in any full month of the entire war.”

More broadly, Pentagon casualty reports show that the number of deaths among Guard and Reserve forces has been trending upward much of this year, totaling more than 100 since May 1. That ranks as the deadliest stretch of the war for the Guard and Reserve, whose members perform both combat and support missions.

Today, speaking to reporters at his ranch, Bush reiterated that “Pulling the troops out would send a terrible signal to the enemy.”

Lacking the true leadership to to do the right thing, Bush stubbornly holds to his positions. Rather than speak to directly to Cindy Sheehan, Bush said to reporters, “I sympathize with Mrs. Sheehan. She feels strongly about her position. She has every right in the world to say what she believes. This is America.” What a cowardly cop out!

Rather than give Cindy Sheehan some time to express her grief, Bush was off today to a neighboring ranch for a fundraiser, there in showing his true priorities… the almighty dollar (that is sinking in value daily for poor in this country)…

He was scheduled to visit a neighbor’s ranch for a barbecue where he was to help raise a couple million dollars for the GOP just by showing up.

The fundraiser for some 230 people at Stan and Kathy Hickey’s Broken Spoke Ranch, a 478-acre spread next to Bush’s ranch, was expected to raise at least $2 million for the Republican National Committee, according to RNC spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt.

Actor, activist Viggo Mortensen paid a visit to yesterday at Camp Casey to show his support. Cindy also got some support from John Kerry and Ted Kennedy yesterday in her quest to obtain a meeting with Bush.

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy and Sen. John F. Kerry yesterday each threw their support behind Cindy Sheehan, who has been camped outside Bush’s Crawford, Texas, home since Saturday, vowing not to leave until the president meets with her about the war. Sheehan’s 24-year-old Marine son, Casey, was killed five days after he arrived in Iraq.

“The president has not leveled with our troops and the American people,” Kennedy said. “I admire Cindy Sheehan for her courage and determination to make the president answer to her.”

Kerry spokeswoman April Boyd said: “Senator Kerry understands the demands on Bush’s schedule but hopes he will take time to meet with Mrs. Sheehan.”

UPDATE: In a post above there is an article about John Kerry on a “Listening Tour” across the country.

The story highlights the difference between John Kerry and George W. Bush. While John Kerry is on vacation he takes time to stop and listen to concerned citizens across the country. While George W. Bush is on vacation, he can’t even make the time to sit down and talk with a Gold Star Mom camped outside of his ranch.

36 Responses to When Will it End?

1. marie says:

stuff happening at camp casey. check my blog and spread the word.

thanks

2. Charlie L says:

“Senator Kerry understands the demands on Bush’s schedule but hopes he will take time to meet with Mrs. Sheehan.’’

Kerry is, (I hate to say it) as usual, providing a wishy-washy and please-the-middle statement.

The “demands on Bush’s schedule” include a fundraising appearance at a local farm and “clearing some brush.” That can not possibly hold a candle to meeting with a woman who has made the supreme sacrifice and who represents the voice of thousands (tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions?, tens of millions?) of other Americans who want some answers about this ill-conceived, badly-executed, and quagmire-ish little profiteering excursion that the PNAC crowd has lied us into.

When will we stop talking about Kerry. He had his chance and he failed. (BTW, I don’t mean he failed to win, I mean he failed to stand up and demand accountability in the electoral process as he had promised to do.)

Kerry is NOT the “opposition party” in this country. He is NOT the candidate “in waiting” for 2008 (even if he and his advisors mistakenly believe he is). He is HISTORY. He is 1/100 votes in the Senate, and that is ALL he is. He is a single sentence in the history books, and nothing more.

KEEP UP THE BRAVE WORK CINDY! And to the rest of us — if you can get to Crawford, this is the time to make a stand! This could be the nexus. This could be the “political Woodstock” of our generation.

1000 people by the 17th.
    10,000 people by the 24th.
    500,000 people by the 31st?

Let’s make history happen, rather than just writing about it.

TO CRAWFORD!!!!

Charlie L
    Portland, Oregon
    CLL2001@gmail.com

3. Ron Chusid says:

Amazing how some people can look for fault in Kerry in any statement. While I agree that Bush should take the time to see Sheehan failure to understand the demands on a president’s schedule is quite ignorant. Even while at Crawford Bush has much more to do than the little listed above.

4. Indie Liberal says:

It’s funny how people blame Kerry for everything while the other Dem senators (not counting Boxer and Kennedy) get free passes.

5. Ron Chusid says:

Indy,

Not only do they blame Kerry for things they don’t blame other Senators for, they even find a way to blame Kerry when he does like he wants (such as attacking him after his statement in support of Sheehan).

6. Indie Liberal says:

I agree Ron. Mistakes during the campaign were made but we should ask the haters if their candidates would have done much better with a corporate controlled media that distorted your messages while propping up Bush’s lies and cheating voting machines.

I am glad Kerry, Kennedy, Conyers, and other Congressional Dems are supporting Ms. Sheehan. Better than no one at all.

7. kj says:

Charlie L, my slant on Kerry’s statement is a bit different than yours. In my mind, Kerry saying “demands on his schedule” while GWB is on his upteenth vacation, is a nice little hammer in a velvet glove comment.

But then, when it comes to slams, I’ve always preferred class to crass. John Kerry has class.

8. kj says:

And Charlie, if you’re going to state that…

“he (Kerry) failed to stand up and demand accountability in the electoral process as he had promised to do.”

to this bunch here, you’d better cite your source. The people on this blog have been following Kerry for… what is obvious to me… a lot longer than I imagine you realize. Kerry is NOT history. He’s still in the game and he’s scoring.

Update, dude. (she said, with a smile)

9. florida dem says:

I am glad that Senators Kerry and Kennedy are showing their support for Cindy. What’s so wishy washy about his statement? He hopes the president meets with her. It’s there plain as day. I agree with Ron, the daily demands on a president are numerous, whether you are a screw up or not. Now how well a president handles those demands is a whole other story. It’s amazing all the misconceptions some folks STILL hold on to just because “there guy” didn’t get the Dem nom. Unbelieveable.

10. kj says:

florida dem, yep, I agree. It’s unbelievable. And naive and one-note. But then, some folks like one-note candidates. And some of us prefer the full band. 🙂

11. Charlie L

John Kerry is far from history. He’s out there in the forefront of the Democrats fighting for the issues important to us everyday. He’s still a seated Senator last time I checked… and I have regular contact with his Senate office. You came to to the wrong place to level a baseless attack on Kerry. The regulars here, like myself as seasoned Kerry supporters, who know his record inside and out.

What Cindy Sheehan is doing is awesome. Will it make a difference. That remains to be seen. Meanwhile there are scores of others issues everyday that also deserve coverage. I applaud Cindy Sheehan, I applaud those who are dropping everything to stand by her side in Crawford. It’s high time the anti-war movement started taking on a more visible stance. This issue has recieved more attention from the MSM than any other anti-war demonstration to date.

12. kj says:

Hi Pamela! *waves* 🙂

I gotta go back to the old salt mine. Keep the home fires burning, as you and Ron always do.

13. Indie Liberal says:

He just wants Kerry to say to Bush, “either you meet her or I’ll strangle you” just like he should have done during the debates. Hee, hee.

14. florida dem says:

What’s up Indie!
    Yeah, that’s exactly what some of them want and most definitely what the Repub Slime Machine would love because then the debate can switch from ShrubCo’s lies and incompetence to being about JK and how anti-American, crude and opportunistic he is to politicize the war and then threaten the life of the president.

15. florida dem says:

Hi kj!

16. Indie Liberal says:

Hi florida dem!

17. marie says:

Friends Buddy and Annie Spell are Cindy’s attornies and are with her now. We are trying to keep everyone updated as to what’s going on. We’re dependent on cell phones today because the Spells will be with Cindy tonight. new info………….

From Annie –

“We have counter protesters showing up a little at a time, carrying little American flags and attempting to agitate the peaceful protesters. We have 5 law enforcement vehicles including county, city, state & SS. The media is on site. People are still being shuttled back and forth to the CPH. Ward & Andrea are heading back to CPH because they are sick like Annie was yesterday.

At the top of the triangle where the counter protesters are getting out of the car, is the same location where the vets & military families are. It’s almost as if they are deliberately picking that location to cause agitation.”

18. Bill Nelson says:

Kerry like Gore should be in the WH now. I very much doubt Bush got more votes than Kerry. Even if he did, he ran a dirty dishonest campaign. Those smearvets were 100% liars. So don’t blame Kerry. He whipped Bush in three debates and came a long way in a short time. He would beat Bush by 15% if the election were held again today.

Concentrate on 2006. Take back congress, indict Delay then impeach Bush and Cheney. That is how it’s done. Libs must unite with moderates, including GOp moderates. Against the far right crooks.

19. Marie

Thanks for the update. If you want to post updates here, let me know. You can set up a login and walk you through getting started.

20. Bill Nelson

Thanks! It’s appears Charlie L dropped his trash here and ran…

21. kj says:

Hi florida dem! Hi Indie!

And Bill Nelson, what you said. We take back Congress and we take back our own state representives, as well.

Marie, thanks for the updates. I hope, really hope, Cindy’s work in Crawford stays centered and calm. But then, we’ve seen what some agitators can do… witness Florida in 2000, etc. etc. etc.

22. Teresa says:

Well, miss kj! I thought you had run off with your Aries self and abandoned us!

I find it interesting now that Bush seems to be finished and trashing him is no longer fulfilling, that Kerry bashing still remains a favorite recreation. Got to have someone to hate. Right? No fair getting productive, like Kerry, and getting the ’06 elections taken care of.

23. kj says:

Hey Teresa! 🙂

Wouldn’t run away, at least for long. Life got hectic there for a bit, am sort of crawling out from under everything. Lots of stuff… people issues… people I love not feeling well… thinking about possibly changing jobs… got a bad haircut… you know the drill.

LOL

KERRY IS THE REAL DEAL.

24. Teresa says:

Well, knowing you, kj, these frikking irritations will be handled expertly.

But a bad haircut? Ouch!

25. KJ

Bad hair cut? Oh no. I had mine buzzed tonight! LOL! Not enough for a bad haircut!

26. Kibby says:

KERRY IS A BABE AND HE IS MY PRESIDENT. PERIOD. HE TOOK OVER AFTER AL GORE.

OUR PRAYERS FOR CINDY AND THOSE WITH HER. GODSPEED!

27. Greetings Kibby

He’s my president too…

28. Teresa says:

I hear ya loud and clear, Kibby!!

29. sam says:

Im the daughter of a decorated vet, and the mother of two grown sons. I could not be more With Cindy.

She has a right to ask questions and get answers from the man who orchestrated the conflict that took her son.

Intresting how the release of the 911 footage, hasn’t helped. The tide is turning.

This is Not a war on terror, this is a war on the American People. When these kids fighting this conflict got out of college, the job they trained for probably went to India or China. Many joined the military or reserves just to pay off their education…now they are pawns in a power game that is seemingly endless. Im lucky, so far. One son is old enough not to be prime meat when the draft comes back, and the other is diabetic.

This administration has single handedly made me ashamed of a Nation my Father gave his life to. It lies, cheats, steals, threatens, bribes, tortures. How could it be worse? Dont ask? Get OUT THERE.

It will get my kid over my dead body.

We have by our actions done more to PROMOTE terrorism than we ever did to end it. NOW IS THE TIME FOR ALL GOOD MEN TO COME TO THE AID OF THEIR PARTY……

nuff said.

30. sam says:

Also, Id like to tell the WASHINGTON POST I will Never buy that publication again if they do Indeed lend aid and comfort to the Enemy;

The Freedom March. The freeking mayor of Bagdad was thrown out and replaced with a Sheite. Where is this freedom?………..exactly?

How many more kids have to die in this quagmire??????? Dont see Jenna in a uniform………where indeed can her patriotism be?

Its o.k. for other peoples children have to die. Bush has such a tight schedule he hasn’t attended a single funeral of a single Iraq vet.

No, no , no, the American People are Not allowed even to see the flag draped coffins. GOD forbid begin counting them.

No let us instead close military bases where these vets might get the medical help they will SURELY need. Lets make em Oil Refineries. Why are US moms of vets discouraged from visiting their sons at Ramstein? Too many maimed victims of this sensless war. They might tell.

Homeland security dude.

Don’t go there.

We are inches from “show me your papers”……A police state. Inches.

Please wake up and get active. Volunteer to help a candidate you believe in. I think we can still Take Back our Country.

The more the better……right?

P.S. If you can reach Corn tell him he got hacked, port 80 . Probably a password dialer. I had some luck with a software called Ghost Surf. It found a dialer. This having been said, this software also changed my screen resolution. Its always a trade off.

Run it, don’t load it is the best way.

Once its on your HD it can be way difficult to get off.

If I was Corn, first thing I would do is: reformat my computer. Second, change my passwords. All of em. Make the new one a random combination of numbers and upper and lower case letters at least 9 digits long.

It Looks like the hack happened to the server. Id have a lot to say to my web server at this point regarding firewalls, hard and soft.

They SHOULD have been able to right this wrong by now.

Id consider changing servers.

Geek rant over, going to bed.

31. kj says:

“I will Be at the Demonstration in DC. Look for a tiny redheaded woman who is really pissed off!”
    ~~Sam

🙂 you go, sister.

32. Teresa says:

Thanks so much for this, sam. I think there is going to be big repercussions for Bush on his Cindy Sheehan cowardly behavior. Probably more erosion of war support till there will be practcally none.

33. Nick says:

Teresa,

Just FYI, check out EJ Dionne’s column “No Holiday for Bush” about how thin support for the war really is- and has been since the fall of 2002! Go to washingtonpost.com and click on columnists, you’ll find Dionne there. Dionne writes:
    “An ABC News poll in early September 2002 found that while 56 percent of Americans favored military action to depose Saddam Hussein, a quarter of that support melted away when respondents were asked if they would still back the war in the face of opposition from American allies. From the beginning, in other words, hard-core support for the war has never amounted to much more than 40 percent.” And to think, that’s not the only good news for us in the column.

34. Teresa says:

Nick,

This is good, I think , for all the disenchanted Repubs who need a good reason to abandon this agenda. Since patriotism is such a rural repub tradition and Bush is undeniably revealed as the one who doesn’t support the troops, this will be a huge political liability. I posted earlier of a rural Colorado man who was once a staunch Bush supporter who now won’t allow his name to be mentioned in the house. He will be further enraged now and influencing others, I’m sure.

I think this might kick off a new anti-war movement in America.

35. Rita J. King says:

I am an award-winning journalist (I have been writing about Gold Star Mothers and Veterans for Peace for over a year…) and my project Ruminations on America is a call for essays from coast to coast on core American values and the current state of the union. A member of Veterans for Peace who rode on the bus with Cindy Sheehan to Crawford wrote an essay, and many people have responded to the call. I would like to invite you and your readers to participate…www.ruminationsonamerica.blogspot.com.

36. Rita

I added your blog to the blogroll here. Hopefully some time will open up to write something for you soon. Feel free to use anything here and link back as well! Peace & Blessings!