Breaking News: Cindy Sheehan to Leave Camp

This story just off the news wires… Cindy Sheehan’s mother has had a stroke.

The grieving woman who started an anti-war demonstration near President Bush’s ranch nearly two weeks ago said Thursday she was leaving because her mother had a stroke.

Cindy Sheehan told reporters she had just received the phone call and was leaving immediately to be with her 74-year-old mother at a Los Angeles hospital.

“I’ll be back as soon as possible if it’s possible,” she said. After hugging some of her supporters, Sheehan and her sister, Deedee Miller, got in a van and left for the Waco airport about 20 miles away.

Keep Cindy Sheehan in your prayers.

23 Responses to Breaking News: Cindy Sheehan to Leave Camp

1. kj says:

Okay. Deep breath. Time to break out a brand new candle and hope to heaven Crawford doesn’t turn into a modern day mud bath.

God speed, Cindy. Everyone else, go home. This was her quest. Do NOT co-op it for your own purposes.

2. HOPE says:

Kj,

Everyone else go home? Kj, make a suggestion of what they should do instead. Why don’t you suggest, “Go home to your town and continue Cindy’s message?” Instead, the way you say it, it makes it seem like “Ok…she’s gone…get away from there now!”

Shouldn’t we ASK CINDY? “Cindy…WHAT do you want US to do?” Maybe Cindy would like it to stay.

We should respect Cindy’s wishes!

3. Ron Chusid says:

If she is saying she’ll be back as soon as possible, it is possible she does want they to stay to continue the protests.

4. kj says:

Ron, the quote was, “I’ll be back as soon as possible if it’s possible,”

Hope, I expressed my opinion and gave my suggestion. It’s okay if you disagree.

5. Ron Chusid says:

kj,

It sounds like she doesn’t know if she’ll be back, but it does sound like she wants to return if possible. Therefore she might want them to remain should she return. She might also want the protest to continue without her.

Cindy Sheehan started the protest, but many others have similar reasons to protest and it can continue without her being present. I wouldn’t mind seeing anti-war protests become common in Crawford, and then in Washington when Bush gets back from vacation.

6. kj says:

Ron, I hope Cindy is able to return, and that her mother didn’t have a nasty stroke.

I would also love to see anti-war protests become common. It’s hard to describe where I’m coming from… that last thing I want to happen in Crawford is a Kent State sort of scenario, only much bloodier. Without her there to center the situation… call it intuition. And I hope I’m wrong.

7. HOPE says:

Kj,

I just saw on D.U. that she asked for people to stay and she hopes to go back.

But I agree with you that if she is gone longer than she plans, then people should not put their agenda on her turf.

8. HOPE says:

Kj,

Sorry if I sounded biigerant before. I didn’t intend to sound that way. I just felt like if everyone disappears then the hope will indeed be gone.

9. kj says:

Hope, thanks for the update. I didn’t know she’d asked people to stay. I’ll still light a candle that peace remains in Crawford…

10. kj says:

Hope, no problem. Re-reading my post I saw that it was quite blunt, I’m sorry about that. I don’t want hope to leave, either… and like Ron said, I’d love to see peace marches begin all over again.

11. HOPE says:

Poor Cindy and her family.

They must be feeling pretty destroyed about this.

12. John Cross says:

I feel for her mother.

13. Indie Liberal says:

Our prayers are with Ms. Cindy.

14. Teresa says:

I think they should stay put for the moment and let Cindy stay in the lead. She’s a natural. She will let them know.

The timing was perfect. She lit a huge spark that ignited the beginning of a big movement here. Amazing. Just hours after the vigils the call to come home. She has experienced power and she is energized. To get 100,000 people out in the streets is no small feat. And in record time.

Cindy is just beginning.

15. Teresa says:

Plus, she needs a break. She’s becoming a master at dealing with tragedy.

16. Marjorie G says:

Dare I forecast the right-wing spinning this as Cindy’s fault, or her mother’s displeasure at what she is doing. They intruded upon the Schiavo case with lies, so they don’t care about truth or respect.

17. Ultimately only time will tell what Cindy decides to do. She’s had a lot on her plate and this could be the catalyst for what is too much to handle. It certainly would be for me. She got the ball rolling, let others take the lead now, she needs to be with her mother.

18. cali dem says:

This is a setback but it certainly doesn’t negate the positive energy of all the peace vigils held last night.

19. Cali Dem

I think regardless now, the anti-war movement has had the catalyst needed to stay out in the forefront and stay vocal.

20. cali dem says:

Pamela,

I think so too. LAst night seemed like a turning point to me. I was glad to be a small part of it.

21. Cali Dem

I thnk a lot of people feel the momentum now and the polls keep falling and BushCo looks to be inserious trouble on so many levels. This will continue.

22. kj says:

Cali Dem and Pamela, I agree. The fact is (and history will record)… Bush chose NOT to meet with Cindy Sheehan.

Whatever happens in Crawford now… well, I just want to see his approval numbers continue to fall.

23. cali dem says:

This is kinda long, but it’s a great report on things happening in Crawford at the Peace House and a Camp Casey. It’s from Karen Bernal, a leader with Democracy for America in Sacramento:

My friends,

I had promised a few people that I would write about why I was going to Crawford before I left. I thought that I would be able to do that on the first day I got here — I was wrong. I have been incredibly busy as the person drafted to be the Crawford Peace House volunteer coordinator that I don’t think I’ve gotten to post anything in about 3 days. I apologize for the void in communication, and I realize people are wanting to know about what’s going on!

First, Cindy and Dede’s Mom is okay, considering she had a stroke —- it was not life threatening. Dede (Cindy’s sister) will stay with her from here on out, and Cindy should be back by tomorrow. There’s no such thing as good timing when it comes to something like that, but this weekend is particularly trying because they are trying to move the encampment at the site to the plot of land that a lone sympathetic rancher has so kindly allowed the vigil keepers to stay on. In addition, Amy Goodman just got here last night, in addition to an AirAmerica affiliate from San Diego. There are celebrities scheduled to arrive here this weekend besides Lance Armstrong; unfortunately, I am not at liberty to say who they are. Because Crawford is so small, it has been a real struggle to be able to handle the influx of people coming to the Peace House and Camp Casey from a logistical point of view, so advertising who may show up is not being pushed right now. Just handling the parking situation is an ongoing challenge because the House is actually located on the main road going in to Crawford, and they are without a parking lot. Many of the neighbors are not exactly thrilled by our presence, so coming up with space can often be a headache. Add that to food, porta potties, water, ice……. Well, you get the idea.

But that’s not why I’m writing this. Let me just tell you a quick story illustrating a part of the why.

A few days ago, one of the two mail carriers that deliver mail in town whispered to our Parking Queen, Barbara (from San Diego), that any mail that only had “Crawford Peace House” without the actual numbered address, was being ‘returned to sender.’ Apparently, the Crawford Post Office was in the habit of holding on to the mail and then every now and then, sending them back to the people who had written either Cindy or CPH. Barbara, a retired postal worker, informed me that while that was technically possible, to do so was a real indication of their attitude towards what was happening here. After a few well placed phone calls to various Congressional reps, Postal Inspectors from Dallas and regional offices paid a visit to the post office here in town. It’s true many pieces of mail were returned to people, but we found out that a large amount had also just gone back to the main Dallas-Ft Worth Post Office. It was just sitting there.

Johnny Wolfe, one of the co-founders of the Peace House went to the DFW office to pick the lot that had been sent back. When he walked into the place, he noticed that AirAmerica was cranked up in the front receiving area of the office. After he introduced himself at the counter and informed them that he was there to pick up the mail, the entire facility, including the processing center in the back, stopped and came to the front. They cheered and roared their approval in the loudest Texas fashion for everyone in Crawford who was there to take it to Bush. News of this brought tears to a few of us back at the House. I can’t begin to adequately describe what it’s meant to get that kind of support. When I think of how difficult it’s been, I just think of those moments that I couldn’t even begin to imagine reading in a story.

Experiences like that have shown me that people everywhere, not just those that have gone out of their way to come here, are with us (and by that I mean all of you reading this, as well). Most of America truly understands that there is no light at the end of this dark, foul tunnel — they want it to stop —– and stop before it goes elsewhere…..

I am asking everyone who is reading this to please, please — bring this subject up now and at the conferences. Talk about this! I know we have the special election to deal with (I’ve already walked precincts), and the issue of electoral integrity is major, but we can’t let the issue of the war and occupation get away from us. It is bankrupting us in blood and treasure. As DFAers, we have an obligation to continue to raise difficult questions —- and demand they be answered for the sake of making us and the Party better than it is now. To continue this silence for strategy’s sake is morally impoverished as a part of a vision for ‘taking our country back’. Choosing to not decide IS a choice.

Get this rolling! TALK! I’m going to really try to steal some moments where I can type today, but I’m already off to the first event of the day: the National Council of Churches will have an Interfaith Service at noon. 300 clergy bused in from everywhere will be at the site to lend solidarity to the efforts of the brave souls who have stuck in out in the unbearable heat.

Talk to you all soon,