More heat for the Governator as Massachusetts residents complain about Arhnold’s fundraising event at the Rolling Stones’ Boston concert.

Massachusetts residents want California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to comply with state laws that cap how much can be added to the price of concert tickets and make the block of Rolling Stones tickets he is selling to campaign contributors available to the general public. Schwarzenegger is hosting a political fundraiser for himself in which donors who pay $10,000 get a front and center seat to the concert and those who pay $100,000 get a ticket to join the Governor in a luxury box. Schwarzenegger reportedly received the event tickets from the tour sponsor, Ameriquest, which is embroiled in state investigations into its unfair lending practices.

Under Massachusetts’ anti-scalping law, tickets can only be resold with a minimal mark-up over face value. Consumer advocates at the Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights (FTCR) believe that $450 is the approximate face value of the seats that Schwarzenegger is selling for $10,000.

Schwarzenegger is selling the Stones tickets at hugely inflated rates to raise money for his campaign in order to push a series of ballot initiatives in an extra election he has called for this November. Polls show a majority of California voters don’t want to spend the $80 million estimated cost to run a special election since there is a 2006 primary already scheduled for June, according to the non-profit FTCR. Schwarzenegger, who has traveled around the country a number of times to raise money for his political campaigns, has set a goal of raising $50 million for his special election.

Arhnold, who pledged not to raise “special interest” money when he intially ran for Governor in 2003, “has already raised about $50 million.”

Early in his campaign, Schwarzenegger announced:
“Any of those kinds of real big, powerful special interests, if you take money from them, you owe them something.” And, “I will go to Sacramento and I will clean house. I don’t have to take money from anybody. I have plenty of money.”

Many Californians who voted for Arhnold have now realized they were taken to the cleaners. Arhnold’s popularity ratings have plummeted, as Bush’s have; and support for Democratic candidate for Governor, Phil Angelides is on the rise.

“Arnold was elected on a promise to clean special interests out of politics and focus on the needs of Californians. Instead, he’s traveling around the country, scalping rock concert tickets for a hundred grand a piece to any special interest that wants access during the key weeks of the legislative session,” said FTCR’s Heller.

10 Responses to Schwarzenegger’s Rolling Stones Fundraiser Violates Massachusetts Ticket Scalping Law

1. Marjorie G says:

With Florida’s and Ohio’s weaknesses exposed for vote fraud, more hurricanes always iffy, someone was noting where next to look.

Electronic voting will make our areas more purple, with CA and NY already moreso than people think. Churches and immigrant populations, everywhere, are still very subject to their Conservative, polarizing social issues Ken Nehlman just telegraphed expanding.

Something tells me to look for CA, with many immigrant pockets ready to be exploited and a new wrinkle. Joe Andrews, formerly DNC, has been hired by Diebold to smooth the way, change the framing in CA. I call it treason. The state had just turned down purchase because of 20% freezing failures in the testing. I say look there.

2. Marjorie G says:

What started my thinking was the plus of Schwarzenegger and redistricting.

3. Marjorie

I personally think they have finely integrated into SO many States that the finding the proof is now like looking for a needle in a haystack. I honestly think that is part of what happened in Nov.

They knew we would be looking at FL and assumed OH as well, but there were reports from other States too. They had 3 years to map it out. No doubt Arhnold is playing a part in this.

Oh… this is such a nightmare. Such a nightmare. It’s hard to think straight most days. And then it’s hard to try to get others to understand reason and logic and what the F we are up against.

I’m so tired of the woulda, coulda, shoulda… I know you are too. Where do we start? Everyone is running in circles it seems or is it just me…

Oh no, I’m having a pessimistic moment… forgive me my friends… I’m going for walk!

4. Marjorie

What else do you know about Joe Andrews?

5. Marjorie G says:

Always seemed like the nice, reasonable centrist, which is not anathema to me. But I’m livid at this major betrayal. Every test or article by independent experts say we’re not ready yet with safe and secure electronic voting. Here in NY they are allowed, and beta protypes at best. A real mess.

I know that fraud was everywhere and varied. Some preventing the vote, purging, pushing the vote fraudently in red states, and more. Wish we could just get testimony or a larger-scale revelation of pattern.

How much could the campaign have really prevented, without local level assist and enough honest, truly bi-partisan election boards. How surprised were they, knowing better than we how ruthless?

6. Marjorie G says:

Sorry, in the process of being allowed, and a real partisan fight.

7. Marjorie

I honestly think the scope of this is so deep that no one realized. We should have known but somehow we/the campaign did not.

It was almost as if people thought they would not have the audacity to do it again and yet under the wire they pulled it off on an even larger scale. How do we fight this?

8. Marjorie G says:

Not while they are an emotionally driven aparatus, with all politics local. All those red state church neighborhoods.

Maybe it’s the husband wife fundie couple, claiming both one each GOP and Dem, not passing the laught test. All those sales-like quotas, and a guy’s son promised the lead on the football team if his figures are good for the District Leader. A mess.

9. Marjorie

The husband wife fundie couple sounds kind of kinky – LOL! Party swapping. Not funny, but struck me me funny… must have a laugh, the news is too damn depressing! It’s a mess… I’m off seeking humor… where is Ron with our weekend entertainment?

10. Marjorie G says:

Party swapping. Where was my observational humor? Thanks for finding it for me.