Conyers Proud of Kerry/Edwards for Staying Involved in Voter Fraud Issue

Last week I posted a couple of pieces (here and here) about a letter John Conyers sent to the Kerry/Edwards campaign about the voter fraud lawsuits. Today, John Conyers has a post on his blog saying he is proud of Kerry/Edwards for staying involved.

Fighting for Every Voter

A few more words about an issue that is of the utmost importance to me.

As political candidates, we spend considerable time and effort every election cycle fighting for votes. After the election, whether won or lost, many candidates leave the irregularities of the election behind. But we owe the voters more than that. When voters are disenfrachised, we owe it to them to seek justice and expose the truth. That is why I have been so proud of the Kerry-Edwards campaign’s ongoing involvement in the investigation and litigation of what went wrong in Ohio. I wrote to the candidates recently to ask that they continue to be involved in this important endeavor.

This is not about the past. It is about figuring out what went wrong and why — and then getting the next election right, not for the Democratic Party, but for all of the voters.

22 Responses to Conyers Proud of Kerry/Edwards for Staying Involved in Voter Fraud Issue

1. cali dem says:

Thanks for posting this. On serveral blogs and forums, when Congressman Conyers’ letter was first published, it led to a lot of Kerry/Edwards bashing. I see this most recent letter by Conyers as his acknowledgement of this and his desire to mitigate this negativity.

2. beemer says:

You don’t have to like the Kerry/Edwards bashing. However, I feel betrayed by them, as Kerry conceded the election before the returns were in, and didn’t bother to fight for every vote being counted when it could have gotten Bush out of office. This, in spite of asking for money specifically earmarked to fight illegal activities against voters in court. I gave, there were no challenges, and I haven’t gotten my money back. Looks like it wasn’t important enough to Kerry to actually do anything when it mattered.

So it’s been really easy for the MSM to blow off this issue, and for the vast majority of citizens to stay unaware that their votes are being manipulated.

3. Beemer

Evidently you didn’t read Conyers post where he acknowledges that Kerry/Edwards are still involved in this issue and there are ongoing investigations and upcoming court challenges. Investigations take TIME, court challenges don’t have OVERNIGHT.

No doubt others have already explained to you in recent months that with a 3 million vote margin the morning after the election, there was no choice.

Finally, you are correct… we don’t have to like the K/E bashing. But guess what, there a plently of other blogs and forums who do, so in the future, feel free to bash somewhere else.

4. cali dem says:

Frankly I’m tired of all the Dem bashing. With regard to the Ohio election fraud and voter suppression, I don’t think any of us have enough information to make judgements.

I believe too many people gave money they really couldn’t afford during the last election. Their anger and frustration is understandable. I just find the way people’s feelings are manipulated by Kos and others to be troubling.

People are spoiling for a fight it seems. Rebels without a clue…

5. Cali Dem

I guess some people really don’t understand the process of investigations and the need to gather solid evidence before taking a case to court. I’m tired of the Dem bashing too. At a time when we need to pull together some are hell bent on widening the divide.

6. cali dem says:

“At a time when we need to pull together some are hell bent on widening the divide.”

Pamela,

I agree. And, it seems to be getting worse lately. Netroots has so much potential, it’s sad to see it used for power plays and to stroke egos.

7. Cali Dem

My sentiments exactly. It’s nuts, totally nuts… another example of how power corrupts, I suppose.

8. Ron Chusid says:

Beemer,

Kerry and Edwards postponed conceding, despite a considerable amount of criticism, until they could evaluate the situation and find that mathematically there were not enough provisional ballots and absentee ballots for them to possibly win. The count showed they were right. If any outright evidence of fraud was found, they could still fight that and their concession wouldn’t make a difference.

9. Marjorie G says:

The Ohio political apparatus to this day is against discovery. Kerry/Edwards were powerless with that court, which is what they said.

I might add that not standing that January, was not his decision alone. The CBC and others wanted the future of reform more the issue, not a grabbing of the presidency we knew was not to be. Too much was done in ways we’ll never discover. All of them standing might have made adifference, but the press was not with on the election at any time.

I just replied to the latest PDA blast rallying their troops, saying their writing to Kerry made a difference, and did not cut the campaign any slack for the other lawsuits, or that they’d helped plenty, which Conyers did mention.

10. Marjorie

I made sure what I have written here about this was passed on PDA leaders. A good friend is well connected and agrees with me on the slight…

11. Teresa says:

We really musn’t let this bother us anymore.(the tired concession complaint). There is too much to do and now we are really getting a toehold. There are so many, many people on these blogs and most of them are not educated in politics and law. They parrot the same talking points ad infinitum, and it would be wonderful if they would learn the truth, but at least they are all involved in some way. And we can keep explaining it it simple terms . Gradually they will realize. We have to be patient.

I do, agree, however, with cali dem, about the manipulation by Kos and others. I think this will stop somewhat as the Dems move forward with greater speed and things start cooking.

And for all those doubters out there, Kerry did the American public a great service by conceding as quickly as he did. Give it some real thought and understanding and you will agree.

12. cali dem says:

“There are so many, many people on these blogs and most of them are not educated in politics and law. They parrot the same talking points ad infinitum, and it would be wonderful if they would learn the truth, but at least they are all involved in some way. And we can keep explaining it it simple terms . Gradually they will realize. We have to be patient.”

Teresa – nicely written.

If only we could find a way to fund-raise by utilizing a donation system tied to the use of these phrases: ‘Republican lite,’ ‘spineless,’ and ‘kool-aid drinker.’

13. Teresa

Wonderful words of wisdom for the weary…

14. Indie Liberal says:

Teresa Says:at 3:48 pm

Good observation, only problem is to get haters to understand that.

15. Indie

I hope one day more peeps will understand. 🙂

16. Marjorie G says:

I’ve never understood how to get those winkies. My expressive mode needs a statement.

Simple, in non-tekkie terms.

17. Marjorie

Every now and then they don’t work but …

: & ) is 🙂

; & ) is 😉

Then hit the “submit comment” button not the enter key on your keyboard.

18. Marjorie G says:

There you go tekkie again. What is submit comment?

19. Marjorie G says:

Just saw it. Duh!

20. PDA has struck again – Argh!

Click here

21. Teresa says:

Don’t worry about the haters, Indie. They don’t change. We can focus on the majority who have a little love in them, a little hate, a little of this, a little of that, and hopefully, a little common sense.

22. Marjorie G says:

Pam, that’s the letter I responsed to. Have no idea if they’ll see it.