Last Friday, John Kerry was the keynote speaker at the DLCC Annual Luncheon in Seattle, WA. The focus of the luncheon was two-fold, highlighting the success of the DLCC in last year’s elections, as well as the need to continue to “build and maintain winning, state-of-the-art legislative campaign operations nationally and to put Democrats in a strong position for 2010 and the next redistricting.”

Scott St. Onge of the DLCC was kind enough to send me a copy of Senate President, DLCC Chairwoman Joan Fitz-Gerald’s remarks at the DLCC Luncheon last Friday. I’m posting a few quips below including her remarks about John Kerry, the entire speech can be found here.

As Chair, I have a number of both short-term and long-term goals as I work with state legislators across the country to fulfill that mission.

The first of these goals is to stand up for Democratic values at the local level and to blunt the right-wing, divisive agenda best expressed by Grover Norquist who said “We are trying to change the tones in the state capitols—and turn them toward bitter nastiness and partisanship.”

Too many legislators in this room have seen how Republicans overreach when they take over state legislatures; Texas and my home state of Colorado are prime examples. Republicans are doing it now in Georgia.

It’s important to recognize the importantance of the role of DLCC for Democrats to regain power in the Congress. John Kerry recognized that importance when he stepped up to speak at the luncheon and said “Our mission now is literally to organize at the local level like never before to help you win your races. We need to listen to your advice about what your community wants.”

Joan Fitz-Gerald’s remarks ended with a few words about John Kerry, that neatly sum up his career, his motivation and his dedication to making a difference.

It is now my pleasure to say a few words about our keynote speaker who I met with back in April.

In 2003, John Kerry announced that he would be a candidate for President and he went on to mount a come-from-behind campaign that began in Iowa to win the Democratic nomination.

As he traveled across the country, the American people reminded him once again that people are the same wherever you go, and he continues in the United States Senate fighting for what motivated him to enter public life in the first place—love of country and call of duty.

Senator Kerry went back to work for America the very next day after the election to work on the issues he fought for during the campaign—fighting for children’s health care, supporting America’s military and their families, honoring our veterans, and ensuring that every vote cast in America is counted.

John Kerry will continue to fight for a better future for all Americans, standing on principle in flights like confirmation hearings or drilling in the Arctic wildlife refuge and giving voice to the values of the thousands of Americans he met along the campaign trail.

John Kerry is dedicated to electing candidates up and down the ticket in 2005, 2006 and beyond. He’s working hard to ensure that Democrats and the Democratic Party have the resources and tools they need to communicate our values and ideas to voters.

With that in mind, he has recently founded Keeping America’s Promise, a political action committee, which is a national grassroots organization dedicated to bringing change to America by supporting Democratic candidates at every level of government, strengthening the Democratic Party’s grassroots organizing capacity and promoting a policy agenda that addresses America’s biggest challenges.

News coverage of John Kerry’s speech last week can be found here and here. The text of his speech is available here.

The Democratic Daily will continue to keep our readers up to date on the work of the DLCC.

18 Responses to DLCC Chairwoman Joan Fitz-Gerald’s Remarks at the DLCC Luncheon on August 19th, Featuring John Kerry as Keynote Speaker

1. cali dem says:

Pamela,

I just started my own blog. I’ve linked to your blog and I want to make sure this is OK with you & Ron.

I would be delighted if you decided to link to my blog. Right now I think it’s just my cat and I that are reading it. =^..^=

2. Cali Dem

Welcome to the Club! I’ll add a link in the blogroll later today. I saw you earlier post and was planning to link to you tonight. And of course we will all come to visit!

3. cali dem says:

Thnx, Pamela. You’ve definitely been an inspiration.

4. Cali Dem

Thanks, that’s so sweet. Warning — blogging can be addictive. I have visions one day of Bloggers Anonymous meetings… Hi my name is “blogger name” aka “real name”.

5. florida dem says:

Did anyone read moltar’s post about JK on DKos? It’s some fantasy speech he wishes JK would give in which he takes all of the blame for Iraq, losing the election and electin fraud. Lots of Rovian talking points, over-hype of the Swift Liar campaign, misunderstanding of the IWR, and plain ol’ “not over the primaries” grumpiness there. In other words, the usual. Glad to see there were some Kerry supporters on there bravely countering the talking points.

For the most part, it seems a fair amount of Dkos posters think JK is a good guy just not a perfect candidate for their political taste. Someone even posted that in their neck of the woods JK has lots of support from “average Joes” who don’t blog. Someone also stated that they didn’t think JK stood a chance in ’08 because the DC establishment Dems would be afraid to run him again. Will be intersting to see if JK can earn the top spot or vp spot on the 08 ticket. I hope he does. With McCain practically endorsing intelligent design, he is definitely courting the right, which means he is VERY interested in the presidency. And I know there are those who disagree, but I think McCain could very well win the GOP primary. He’s someone that may have a tougher time in the primary than a general since so many Dems and Indies believe the media-fueled “McCain myth” that he’s a maverick. . But wouldn’t that be a juicy story – two friends and Vietnam vets (JK and JM) running against each other for the presidency? I’ll tell you what. If someone like McCain wins the GOP nom, the Dems better have someone equally, if not more experienced and knowlegeable heading the ticket or we’re in trouble. The Dem can be as charismatic and inspiring as all out but that ain’t going to cut it against the media darling McCain. If McCain gets the GOP nom, experience will matter this time around. McCain’s experience and POW credentials will be touted heavily, so if we don’t have anyone who can go toe-to-toe, I’ll be very concerned.

One fear I do have is the over-hyping of Hillary. There was a call-in poll on my local station asking if the country was ready for a female president. Most of the callers were black and most of those I heard said yes, male and female. Of course, blacks, including black men, tend to be a bit more progressive in that regard because in African American culture, it is not unusual for a woman to be in charge of a household or business. One male caller did say he thought Hill didn’t stand a chance because she would lose in southern states because southerners (and I’ll add midwesterners) can be very conservative in that regard. Frankly, I just don’t think Democratic white, male blue collar workers will vote for Hillary, period. In the northeast she would fare okay, but down south and the rural red midwest, no way. However, back to my concern, I’m afraid the Hillary overhype (much of it fueled by the GOP) will either work and push her to a primary victory in which she’ll get ripped to Dukakis/McGovern-like shreds in the general or she’ll lose a close primary and her substantive base (which is bigger and more diverse NOW than Dean’s) will turn into a community of bitter Hillariacs who take months to fully support the Dem candidate, basically fracturing the Dem party again. It’s all hypothetical, but it could happen and it concerns me.

6. Indie Liberal says:

florida dem,

I visited Kos once. It’s very yucky over there. But anyway the Hilliary hype is very scary. I was visiting another forum and it was totally Kerry bashing. One poster said that he likes Kerry but thinks he’ll tank in the Iowa primaries because of his war stance and that fact that more dems want an Anti-War candidate. I hear Clark or Feingold supposedly has a chance with the grassroots crowd. Scary huh?

7. Florida Dem

I read about halfway through Moltars post and was saddened. I remember Moltar being on the K Blog. I found something worth posting a response and left. Too much drama there. I spent quite a bit of time on DU in recent days too… now I have a good case of Blogger Burnout.

I think Hillary will fizzle out. Honestly it’s way to soon to speculate on anything for 08. JK does have a really solid off the internet base and people on the internet don’t get that he does. I honestly think the establishment Dems in DC will rally around him. Kennedy will, and others will as well.

A McCain / JK battle would be interesting…

8. Marjorie G says:

Pamela, people want fresh faces, and whatever the reasons for the election results (and I personally think considerably better because of him), our primary and internet voters are not informed and still resentful.

One candidate, only one campaign, and the rest of the disorganized grassroots without shared databases. We were lucky and we were robbed.

I’m concerned we’re relying on these people, who are clueless to what JK or many other substantial people have to offer. Certainly clueless to what he’s been doing lately.

In NY, and with my group, I have to be more positive and hopeful for progressive messiness and tantrums. I’m often faking.

9. florida dem says:

I know it’s too early to discuss, but can’t help it tonite. If the Repubs pick a “fresh face” then the fight will be more even if we picked one too. It all depends on the mood of the country. But if ShrubCo leaves the mess I know he will, experience will matter for both Repubs and Dems and we will have to run our party vets whether the Deaniacs like it or not.

10. Marjorie

I hope as we continue here we will be able to get more people informed about what JK is doing. Aside from the PDA mishap I think JK has been getting some favorable reactions on the internet of late.

Most people only hear what they want to hear, too. Selective memory. Got to just keep plodding along…

11. florida dem says:

Pam –
    What’s PDA?

12. Indie

Feingold kind of lost IMHO when he admitted he really didn’t have a date in mind he just threw it out there to start the dialog. So to me he showed up a little weaker for his big talk. As for Clark, I’ve said it here before and will say it again… Clark – anti-war. Oh please… a lifetime career in the military — does not add up to anti-war to me. If someone is anti-war they serve their time and get out, they don’t do the career thing and take their career to the heights that he did.

13. Florida Dem

If JK decides to run I doubt he will worry about the Deanies. I still personally see no better choice.

PDA – Progressive Democrats of America. An organization grown largely from Kucinich supporters and former Kucinich campaign staff members. They’ve been on the attack with JK and the voter fraud cases for a few days now.

14. Indie Liberal says:

florida dem Says:

August 24th, 2005 at 8:38 pm

I feel the same way.

Hang in there Pamela! 🙂

15. Indie Liberal says:

I agree Pamela. They don’t get it. I like the General, but sometimes his overzealous supporters turn me off.

16. florida dem says:

Thanks Pam. Feingold may do it for the Deaniac net roots crowd, but he will be a tougher sell to red America than Kerry was. Clark is likeable enough but he doesn’t have the governing experience Hillary has let alone JK. They will try and trash his military record too and he may handle it okay because he and his staff, along with the MSM, have learned from JKs Swift Boat experience. Like I said, it will be interesting. But the important thing for everyone to remember is, netroots are important because they influence MSM, but the average Dem voter isn’t a blogger and they have their own opinions and concerns, which are far more influential.

17. Indie

A good night to turn in early, I think. News overload!

I really like Clark, as well. I just think the hype is overblown and many are not looking at the bigger picture. As Forida Dem points out they will go after him the same way they went after JK, Max and even McCain. I don’t honestly Clark will be better prepared to handle than the rest have been.

18. Nick says:

The Kossacks are living proof of what the late Sen. pat Moynihan said about liberals being just as able to indulge in elitism and intolerance as conservatives are. I view most Kossacks as to be relied on about as much as BushCo: about as much as a would trust a rattlesnake with a silencer on the rattle. And some Kossacks are just plain dumb. I did a post where I mentioned that Kerry won the majority of EVs and the popular vote in the West, some dope who was convinced Kerry “lost” in the West respondedby saying “what about all the red states in the west.”
    In addition to telling me that I’m stupid and should f— myself for supporting Kerry, they equated Maryland with Bush (because Raffy Palmeiro once played for the Texas Rangers, nevermind that Raffy siad he wants to go into the Hall of fame (if selected) as an Oriole) and are anti-union.
    Most of them rake Casey in Pa. over the coals for being pro-life while they think that most union rank-and-file are latter day Archie Bunkers, and think Casey is not a true liberal because he courts the union vote by not pro-choicers. As a card carrying union member I’ve got one thing to say to them: STIFLE YOURSELF!!!