Rev. Al to Join Cindy Sheehan on Sunday

The Rev. Al Sharpton will be joining , the Peace Mom, on Sunday at Camp Casey.

Sharpton’s office said Thursday he would participate in a prayer vigil Sunday with Sheehan in Crawford, Texas. Sheehan returned on Wednesday to Camp Casey, named after her 24-year-old son, Army Spc. Casey Sheehan, who was killed last year in Iraq.

12 Responses to Rev. Al to Join Cindy Sheehan on Sunday

1. cali dem says:

Is the vigil in Crawford ending this weekend?

2. Cali Dem

I’ve read in the news she’s leaving on the 31st. Then there’s to be a bus tour and she’ll camp somewhere (?) outside of the White House.

3. Teresa says:

From Cindy:

” Iraq has been the tragic Lie of Historic Proportions of Washington, DC since before the first Gulf war. For years, Saddam was one of our government’s propped up and militarily supported puppets. Many people have seen the famous footage of Donald Rumsfeld shaking hands with Saddam. I suppose the two are smiling so big for the cameras because they are kindred spirits. After all of the hand-shaking and weapon brokering, when did Saddam become such a bad guy to Bush, Cheney, Halliburton and Co.? (Insert your favorite reason here).”

“The Lie of Historic Proportions also cost me my peace of mind; I do not feel free and I do not feel like I live in a democracy.

Casey took an oath to protect the US from all enemies “foreign and domestic.” He was sent to occupy and die in a foreign country that was no threat to the USA. However, the biggest threat to our safety, humanity, and our way of life in America are George and his cronies. Congress made a Mistake of Historic Proportions and waived its Constitutional responsibility to declare war. It is time for the House to make up for that mistake and introduce a Resolution of Inquiry into the Downing Street Memos.

It is time to put partisan politics behind us to do what is correct for once and reclaim America’s humanity. It is time for Congress and the American people to work together in peace and justice to rid our country of the stench of greed, hypocrisy, and unnecessary suffering that permeates our White House and our halls of Congress. It is time to hold someone accountable for the carnage and devastation that has been caused. As a matter of fact, it is past time, but it is not too late.”

4. Bob says:

Well, Rev Al’s support is really going to get ordinary Americans on Cindy’s side…

5. Ron Chusid says:

I’m not sure how the general public will respond to Sharpton. Obviously the right will go ballistic, but they were never going to support Cindy with or without Sharpton.

To much of the country Sharpton has become the guy with all the funniest lines in the debates and I wonder how much the average person knows about Sharpton beyond this. He even made it onto SNL.

6. cali dem says:

I have concerns about the main message of Cindy’s vigil becoming obscurred. Where did I read in MCM the phrase, “Crawford Woodstock?” Can’t remember.

Pamela, thanks for answering my question. I hope Cindy time a little time to regroup and focus her message before she camps out again.

7. Marjorie G says:

Cindy will not, should not, sensor who is in or who is out. I’ve never known Sharpton to be far away from good publicity. But he looked good to those watching the debates, and symbolically speaks for many kids getting recruited and fighting from inner cities.

8. Indie Liberal says:

Glad Rev. Al is doing this.

9. cali dem says:

I could be wrong, very wrong about this, but I sense Cindy’s message & purpose getting lost in a circus.

Some people are approaching this like they’re attending a festival or tailgating before the big game. Get out your tie-dye and make the scene.

Even if this has spun out of control, the world knows who Cindy is and that there are parents and other survivors of the occupation in Iraq that question everything the Bush regime has put forward as their rationale for invasion and war.

I hope Cindy, the other individuals from Gold Star Families for Peace and the Veterans for Peace stay safe through the weekend and are able to get their message out when the right media opportunities arise.

10. Cali Dem

I have the same sense in many ways. I feel what she has done is very valiant and yet on the other hand, eventually this will take a great toll on her. A few of the accounts I have read from folks who are there have been disconcerting at best.

I guess there are no easy answers, people are rallying and that is a good thing. Let’s just hope that things say calm, peaceful and focused.

11. Indie Liberal

What’s the buzz from your peeps on this? I’m glad he is doing this too. I love his flair and charisma.

12. Bob Says: August 26th, 2005 at 4:53 am

Greetings Bob

If you stop back by… I see from your blog that you’re in the U.K. Thanks for visiting us!