Music Legend Fats Domino Missing in New Orleans Floods

Fats Domino’s long-time Al Embry, reported today that Fats Domino is missing in New Orleans.

Embry told The Associated Press that he hadn’t been able to contact Domino since talking to him Sunday evening by phone.

The 77-year-old R&B legend, whose real name is Antoine Domino, told Embry that he planned to stay at his New Orleans house with his wife, Rosemary, and their daughter.

“I hope somebody turns him up, but as of right now, we haven’t got anybody that knows where he’s at,” said Embry, who has worked with Domino for 28 years. “I would think he might be safe because somebody said he was on top of the balcony.”

Checquoline Davis, Domino’s niece, posted a message on Craigslist.com Thursday pleading for information. Davis wrote that Domino, his wife, their children and grandchildren “didn’t get out” of the second floor.

Domino, who has rarely appeared in public in recent years, has a home in the 9th ward, a low-lying area of the flooded city.

Fats Domino was among the first honorees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Domino’s legendary hits include “Blueberry Hill” and “Ain’t That a Shame.”

13 Responses to Music Legend Fats Domino Missing in New Orleans Floods

1. Teresa says:

You wanna hear something freaky?

The night before last I was working on my blues piano licks and I spent the whole night on Fats Domino’s unique left hand bass line.

2. Teresa

Play it girl… we need mo’ blues…

3. Nick says:

Yep, playin’ Bo Diddley on the piano (and other blues) nothin’ like it (excpet maybe playing Beethoven, or Billy Joel). Full disclosure: I took piano lessons for six years and was a music minor in college. I hope they find Bo down there.

4. Indie Liberal says:

Fats has been found in good condition. :)

5. Teresa says:

Nick, I’m having trouble with the syncopation and my left hand. Will I ever get it?

6. Indie Liberal

Thanks my daughter told me a while ago and I posted it above.

7. Nick says:

Teresa

Yes, the syncopation and the left hand will come. A good idea is to play the music in the treble clef (right hand) until you can play it perfectly, then do the same with the music in the bass clef (left hand), then try to put them together. No you probably won’t be able to play both hands perfectly the first time together, but at least now both hands will be trained in what notes and rythms to play, and the syncopation should come from that.

8. Teresa says:

OMG! OMG! Thank you so so much, my dear friend and compatriot, Nick! That’s exactly what I decided to do. Over and over with the right hand first. Get it burned into automatic memory. I’m excited. I love blues piano.
    Thanks again for the hope! I can soon carry on the New Orleans tradition.

9. kj says:

Why am I not surprised that both Nick and Teresa are into blues? :-)

10. Nick says:

KJ

LOL!! Of course, if the polls are any indication, red state voters are already singing the blues with blue state ones. ya are what you sing. Well, I guess if there’s a silver lining from living through Bush Jr. its that we all get to re-discover great blues music. Bush gets elected through his “Back Door Man” brother and we’ve all been slogging through Muddy Waters ever since. But like Muddy all of us progressives from JK to the janitors union are “ready as anybody can be” to fight the good fight.

11. Teresa says:

You will absolutely not believe this!

I hit the streets last night to feel the pulse of the people and I discovered to my complete amazement that a brand new, hip, perfectly deep downtown located Blues club has just opened. Muddy Waters are now crossing the whole USA and the blues, one of this country’s most sublime, advanced creations, will survive.

“Sun’s gonna shine on my back door someday”

12. Teresa says:

Or as Skip James sang, “If I ever get off this killing floor, I’m not goin’ down this low no more.”

13. Teresa

My first few years living here in L.A. there was the best Blues club right down the street. I spent many a Saturday night being entertained by some of the best studio Blues musicians in L.A., many from Bonnie Raitt’s band.

America will risa up and the Blues will live on!