Breaking News: Katrina Evacuee Bus Overturns, Killing One

How much more can they endure… Most bad news from Louisiana…

Katrina evacuee bus overturns, killing one
Local newspaper reports 10 wounded, several critically

OPELOUSAS, La. – One Hurricane Katrina refugee died and many others were injured when a bus carrying them west from the Superdome in New Orleans overturned and rolled across a highway median.

The Daily World of Opelousas reported on its Web site that at least 10 people were taken to hospitals, several of them critically injured.

Trooper Willie Williams, spokesman for the state police, said the driver lost control of the vehicle. More details were not immediately known.

The bus was heading north when it overturned on Interstate 49; it wound up on the southbound off-ramp to the town’s main street.

9 Responses to Breaking News: Katrina Evacuee Bus Overturns, Killing One

1. Indie Liberal says:

Can it get any worse?

2. I don’t know Indie… I just don’t know.

How are you holding up?

3. Indie Liberal says:

I am ok. This and a positive Kerry post that is now a flamewar are kind of getting to me, but other than that, I am cool.

4. Indie Liberal says:

On second thought I am cooler after listening to what Kanye West said on the Concert for Relief on NBC. 🙂

5. Indie

I lost it hearing Aaron Neville sing Amazing Grace. Oh what a voice!

I saw the flame war on DU. I just posted JK’s statement here. I missed Kanye West. Any links around?

6. Jesus! These people just can’t gret a break at all…

7. Indie Liberal says:

Just in case you or anyone may not be familiar with Kanye West. He is a hip-hop star. These are links that have videos of what Kanye said.

Here’s the full text of his rant:
    “I hate the way they portray us in the media. You see a black family and they say we are looting, you see a white family and they say they are looking for food. And, you know, its been five days because most of the people ARE black. And even for me to complain, I would be a hypocrite because I would turn away from the TV because it’s too hard to watch. I’ve even been shopping before even giving a donation, so now I’m calling my business manager right to see what is the biggest amount I can give. And just to imagine, if I was down there and those are my people down there. If there is anybody out there that wants to do anything that we can help about the way America is set up the help the poor, the black people, the less well off as slow as possible. Red cross is doing as much as they can. We already realize a lot of the people that could help are at war right now, fighting another way. And now they’ve given them permission to go down and shoot us.”

“George Bush doesn’t care about black people.”

8. Indie Liberal

I actually just saw it a while ago on NBC west coast time. He spoke the truth. I hope we here much much more of this.

9. kj says:

Indie, thank you so much for posting that. I missed the concert. What Kanye West rings true… all of us are going to be looking deep into ourselves to see what it is we think and feel and can do. I really applaud that statement for its honesty.