Democrats Step Up Criticism of White House Response

The NY Times has round up of quotes from Democratic leaders today. Here’s a few quips…

After 10 days of often uncertain responses to the Bush administration’s management of Hurricane Katrina, Democratic leaders unleashed a burst of attacks on the White House on Wednesday, saying the wreckage in New Orleans raised doubts about the country’s readiness to endure a terrorist attack and exposed ominous economic rifts that they said had worsened under five years of Republican rule.

“Oblivious. In denial. Dangerous,” Representative Nancy Pelosi, Democrat of California and the House minority leader, said of President Bush as she stood in front of a battery of uniformed police officers and firefighters in a Capitol Hill ceremony that had originally been scheduled to commemorate the fourth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.

“Americans should now harbor no illusions about the government’s ability to respond effectively to disasters,” she said. “Our vulnerabilities were laid bare.”

Also noted by the NY Times was the fact the Scotty McClellan “used the phrase “blame game” eight separate times as he tried to push back on criticism of the White House effort.”

Sorry Scotty, the spin won’t work. America sees the ugly, bloated truth now. You can spin but you can’t save the sinking ship called the Bush Presidency.

9 Responses to Democrats Step Up Criticism of White House Response

1. Teresa says:

I think after the shock wears off there’s going to be a lot of great speeches made. From all over.

2. Teresa says:

I also think they will be more heart felt. Some new sincerity might creep in.

3. Marjorie G says:

JK is heartbroken, to be sure. Pam, how do I contact Dave from Princeton re his offer for Saturday? From Brooklyn, how do I get there to meet him? And is it a real offer?

4. kj says:

From the article: “And Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts, the Democratic presidential nominee in 2004, said in an interview: “It’s a summary of all that this administration is not in touch with and has faked and ducked and bobbed over the past four years. What you see here is a harvest of four years of complete avoidance of real problem solving and real governance in favor of spin and ideology.”

Good image there with the use of the word “harvest.”

5. kj says:

Marjorie, you and Dave from Princeton might possibly meet? How cool!!!!

6. Hi Marjorie,

Sorry, I just saw your messages… If you don’t have a car I’d assume you’d probably have to take the train down, but you’d probably have to take it from Penn Station, I guess. If taking the train, you’d want to take it to the Princeton Junction(West Windsor) station. There may be buses you could take down as well but don’t know for sure. Coming from Brooklyn, without a car, I’m not sure what the easiest method to get here would be…

Email me at dave386@yahoo.com I don’t really use that email address but don’t want to post one of the others, due to spammers. I’ll e-mail back from one of my real accounts.

If you really want to try to come down, also let me know your last name when you write. I’ll then check with the guy running it and see if you can still get in. BTW, all guests must arrive prior to 3:30(security…also must be on their list by today to gain entrance)

A friend and I were planning on meeting at 2:30 to head over. I’ll be phone banking in Trenton until 2 but I’m sure my friend would be willing to stop at the train station and pick you up on her way over.

Dave

7. Marjorie G says:

Dave, you’ve made my day, month, year…

8. Dave from Princeton says: