Kerry Recalls Talking of LA Coastal Flooding at ’04 LA Campaign Event

Ron posted the link (in the comments below) to a Boston Globe story about Kerry heading to LA today with supplies for Hurricane Katrina victims. There were a couple of quips in the story that struck me as worthy of highlighting in their own post:

he recalled talking about issues of coastal flooding at an event he held in Louisiana during the campaign.

He also recalled warning that the nation is not being sufficiently prepared for a terrorist attack, especially one targeting nuclear or chemical plants.

“I think it is not a new criticism that the Homeland Security Department is not funded properly and they haven’t had the kind of leadership necessary to prepare,” Kerry said. He said Michael Brown, head of the Federal Emergency Management agency, should be fired, not reassigned as he was last week.

The senator suggested organizing regional hurricane relief efforts, so supplies and relief workers are pre-positioned near where a storm is forecast to hit and then moved into the location immediately after it passes.

“This is not rocket science,” Kerry said.

U.S. Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., speaks at a news conference at Logan International Airport in Boston, Monday, Sept, 12, 2005, where a planeload of supplies for Hurricane Katrina victims was due to leave for Lafayette, La. UPS supplied the plane, flight crew and fuel to transport the 48,000 lbs. of supplies, largely donated by Massachuestts businesses. (AP Photo/Julia Malakie)

And so we see, once again… Kerry was right.

17 Responses to Kerry Recalls Talking of LA Coastal Flooding at ’04 LA Campaign Event

1. kj says:

John Kerry leads by making sure the foundation is solid. He doesn’t need to manufacture drama or call attention to himself, or his power, he just does what needs to be done. I just admire the hell out of him and Teresa.

As Ron posted below, John said, “It’s not rocket science.”

2. kj says:

As I’m sure you’re all aware, those with access to a television. Sen. Leahy is speaking now.

3. kj says:

Hatch is hysterical. Please, senator, look in the mirror when you talk about political attacks.

4. kj says:

Hatch’s subtext to Roberts: “Just sit there, be quiet, try to muster some gravitas on that baby-face of yours, and we’ll be outta here by noon. Unless, of course, those damn Democratic try to ask you any questions!”

5. Marjorie G says:

I may speak effusively about him, but he is essential, economical, and very effective. We would marvel during the campaign just how centered, almost zen-like. Where others may be limited by the minority status of our party, he will always find opportunity and a way to perservere.

The two of them, a real gift.

6. Marjorie G says:

I’m at work, so-Que pasa? We never seem to take them down, but are we making points, at least?

7. kj says:

Marjorie, the bit I saw, yes, we are making points. Hatch was unbelievable, so far over the top he was funny. It was almost a parody, you know? Like watching a Daily Show sketch.

Uncle Teddy followed Hatch. Uncle Teddy stayed calm and reasonable. He didn’t descend for one second to the level of Hatch, which was a relief, although of course, part of me wanted Teddy to go for Hatch’s throat.

8. kj says:

But, let me emphasis, I’m very glad Kennedy didn’t. The contrast between the two men was very, very clear. And, this is only the first day, more speeches than actually questions.

9. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

Get ready to celebrate folks!!!!!!!

Embattled FEMA Director Mike Brown resigns
    9/12/2005, 2:05 p.m. CT
    By RON FOURNIER
    The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal Emergency Management Agency director Mike Brown said Monday he has resigned “in the best interest of the agency and best interest of the president,” three days after losing his onsite command of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

10. Ginny in CO says:

Donnie,

This was starting off as a Miserable Monday* – Now I feel like Dancin’ in the street :0

Yup, W probably told him you can resign or be fired. Especially when he says it’s “in the best interest of the president”

I’m with Marjorie, Pamela, I have a JK photo deficiency. The pictures always add to his words. Not rocket science – unless you’re a GOP appointee.

*Thanks to my 3-11:30 work schedule routinely going to 1:30 am, or even 3, sleeping until 1:30pm is inevitable after enough brain draining shifts. Off to work.

11. Marjorie G says:

Ginny, I have an ever-changing patchwork of JK photos on my desktop. It’s my form of denial until I open the news and reality hits. Photos from the pre-inaugural European trip, and more.

Just let me know, and I could probaby e-mail.

12. Ginny in CO says:

Marjorie,

That is not denial, it is hope.

13. Marjorie G says:

Giiny

Have I told you lately how much I appreciate our little talks?

14. Donnie

I have your post from comments in the moderation que – I’m going to turn it into a blog post… bear with me, we had a power outage for a couple of hours here in Los Angeles and I am now playing catch up! It’s awesome, looking forward to more from you.

15. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

I was watching on tv how they had a power outage, I figured that was the prob. The sight is lagging right now like many others.