Welcome to Camp Katrina

In the aftermath of this unbelievable tragedy, emotions are running high, fear being one of them. It’s easy to get caught up in the whirlwind, but in the midst of the horror, some beautiful, uplifting stories are unfolding.

Colorado has invited 1000 survivors to make a new home in this sun-filled, high-spirited, DRY, infinitely friendly place. The people are overjoyed at this opportunity to embrace these Americans who have just been through hell. Here are some excerpts from the Rocky Mountain News:

Volunteers canceled Labor Day weekend plans and worked around the clock to cart off truckloads of debris and mop away years of grime. In a massive outpouring of support — from pastors to policy wonks, from cops to robbers–Camp Katrina was born. The first planeload of survivors to enter the Mile High Miracle arrived on Sunday. They rejoiced at being in clean, dry, safe surroundings.

Up and humming – Welcome to Camp Katrina.

Outside in the parking lot, volunteers use generators to serve hot meals. Evacuees play pickup basketball games, using portable backboards a Denver sheriff bought with his own money after noticing them scrimmaging in the parking lot. Buses regularly shuttle residents to a variety of places–hair salons, the Dumb Friends League, where their pets are housed, schools, stores, and health clubs. The bus schedule appears on a huge white board just outside the entrance to Building 900. Down the hall, evacuees make free phone calls on orange and white phones. On the second floor of the east wing, a room has been transformed into a day care center.

Across the way, volunteers sort through piles of clothing. It was announced that new bras and panties were available, as some woman had gone to Target, bought them, and dropped them off.

Volunteers ask the people what they want and then go get them. Flip- flops were the most requested item.
Every step of the way, a victim assistance advocate guides each family.

The people of Denver took the abandoned Air Force dormitory and in record time cleaned it, fixed the plumbing, brought in carpenters to build vanities, cable TV was installed, and 50 phone lines. About 1,100 volunteers worked on the transformation.

People aren’t fully grasping the magnitude of this event yet. It will go down in history as one of America’s biggest disasters. Stories, songs, books, poems, movies, etc. will be written about it. Heroes will be remembered. And for generations the survivors will be telling their tales. It will also be remembered as a time when the U.S. government failed and the people themselves launched one of the most massive rescue missions ever experienced.

12 Responses to Welcome to Camp Katrina

1. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

Hi Teresa, It’s like Deja Vu, if you know the history of the Acadians. The irony to all this, is that One month after England had the first commemoration day to acknowledge the Grand Dérangement, Katrina came in and and caused displacement 250yrs after.

History of the Acadians

2. Donnie

Thanks for posting those links. I forgot about that. I’m part French Canadian myself. Many folks from my home area on the MA/NH came down from Nova Scotia.

3. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

Pamela, if you want, I can get you a lot of info on the Acadians. They roamed the world for a decade, and was systematically separated from their other family members as the British put them on boats. Because they would not swear alliegence to a tyrant, and they were left there with no help from France, their own ancestral country, that colonized the area in the first place. Eerie when you look at the comparisions of current Louisiana huh?

4. Teresa says:

This is fantastic. Thank you heartily. There is so much to know and the history of this country from region to region speaks of our great diversity. We aren’t taught enough. There is so much to this event and I’m going to use it as an opportunity to learn.

Again, thank you.

5. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

Pamela and Teresa, this link is more in depth.

6. Teresa says:

So glad you came aboard, Donnie.

Personally, I’m saturated with the Bush obsession and I’d like my mind to peer into something else.

7. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

Well Teresa, if you need some reading material, I got something for you. This might give you a better understanding of the area I live in. Pamela might like this also, because it mentions the meaning of my parish name that I told her about.

8. Donnie,

I am going to so enjoy going through those links. I just quickly looked at the last one. I do love that name – Terrebonne. I had a feeling there was some Native American meaning in there as well. I will check them out tomorrow… now it’s time for sleep. Busy day tomorrow – Roberts hearing, business to take care of and more.

9. Teresa

I’m glad Donnie is here too. He fits in well!

You’ll find we’re a pretty good bunch of caring souls around here.

10. Teresa says:

The Terrebonne Parish history site is beautiful. So well done. Thank you yet again.

11. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

Once you read about this area, and the people, and how they got to where they are today, it will give you a better understanding of what I will say as I get further into the guest blog.

12. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

Did you get to look at all the info on those sights?