From John Kerry’s Journal on his Senate website:

Yesterday, I traveled to Louisiana to deliver emergency supplies to the victims of Hurricane Katrina. Thanks to generous contributions from many Massachusetts-based and national corporations, a 757-jet was sent full of food, water, children’s shoes, toiletries and other emergency items for the people of the Gulf Coast. The jet — donated by the UPS for the relief flight — took off from Logan airport and arrived in Lafayette, Louisiana, where the goods were loaded up and distributed to centers in New Iberia (near Lafayette) and Baker (near Baton Rouge). The UPS said the payload of the plane was 48,000 pounds.

I delivered one truckload of supplies to the emergency distribution center in Baker. There I helped distribute the supplies, spent time with the hurricane victims, and assisted workers and volunteers at the center’s food bank. I also made a stop at a relief shelter based at the Bethany World Prayer Center, also in Baker. Before traveling back to D.C., I met with Governor Blanco at the Office of Emergency Preparedness in Baton Rouge. I discussed the relief efforts with Governor Blanco and pledged my continued, long-term support to the people of her state and all those in the Gulf Coast affected by this tragedy.

UPDATE: From John Kerry’s Press Office — “I should note that Senator Kerry reached out to the relief agencies and the Senators from the affected states and are doing what they say is needed most and will continue help. That’s where the list of needed supplies came from.”

Here is a transcript of Senator Trent Lott speaking on the Senate floor on Tuesday, September 6:

“I want to thank, since I’m in the Senate, I want to begin by thanking my colleagues. So many of my colleagues have sent messages, have called my office, have gotten through to me and have made huge efforts to try to express their concerns. I don’t want to belabor this point, but one of the calls was from Senator Kerry from Massachusetts. He said he and Teresa had been worrying about my wife Tricia and me and could they help? I said, you bet you, here’s what we need. He said, “Well, where do we land?” I told him. I said don’t worry about distribution. You let us know when to land, and we’ll pick it up and distribute it. That story can be told hundreds of time over from friends and people you don’t even know, Republicans, Democrats, people from Michigan, Illinois, it makes no difference.”

14 Responses to From John’s (Kerry) Journal: Yesterday, I Traveled to Louisiana to Deliver Emergency Supplies

1. Indie Liberal says:

Thanks for posting this. At least he talks to the people who lived through this experience instead of poo pooing them and using them as photo ops. 🙂

2. No kidding! He’s the Real Deal. He is, he is.

3. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

Pamela, I have to confess. I am liking this man more everyday!!

4. Donnie

He’s a good man. Honest, sincere, compassionate. He cares about the little people.

5. Ginny in CO says:

When you have the chance, see “Going Upriver” on DVD. Be careful, the more you see, the more you will understand how committed we are – and why.

6. Hey Donnie,

If you want to check it out you can use the link below. Though the DVD would be much better viewing(also supports Mr Butler. After the movie starts, you can also right click on the video and open it in realplayer itself which is a little better. You’ll need hi speed connection. Not as clear and smooth as DVD would be(though of course much of the video clips used were shot over 30 years ago too)

Going Upriver: The Long War of John Kerry:
    A feature length documentary about character and moral leadership
    during a time of national crisis…another masterpiece by George Butler

Though to really understand JK, what makes him tick and what the man is really made of, nothing beats “Tour of Duty”. What an interesting life JK lived. Though I’d prefer to take a pass on the being in country in Vietnam part. Luckily for me, they ended the draft the year I and my friends would have become eligible for that meat grinder. So neither I or my classmates ended becoming “The last man to die for a mistake” or like an ex-Marine I became friends with after he got back. He’d lost both legs, well only one at first, the other had to be cut off at the VA hospital year or so after I met him, just as well wasn’t really good for anthing anyway, fused straight out and just got in the way sometimes). Met a bunch of his old buddies once, all of them had suffered very serious injuries (except the one guy I met who saved Timmy’s life by picking him up and carrying him to the copter for evac.)

As I’m sure you know many also suffered mental injuries that never healed either… Timmy finally drank himself to death about 5-10 years after I moved back east, from what I heard from friends who stayed in Denver). It was not a “good” war…

7. Donnie,

Yes, Going Upriver – an absolute to understanding John Kerry and the committment people have to him. And also Tour of Duty, by Douglas Brinkley, who I hope is okay, he lived and taught in NOLA, I believe.

8. I just posted an update on this thread – Check it out, interesting little acknowledgement on the Senate floor from Trent Lott of JK doing this.

9. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

I will check it out everyone. Thanks so much for the link. I do have broadband, so I can look at it sooner. I have a little time on my hands today, because I had to skip that VA Appt. today. My knee is swollen and so sore that I had probs. getting around the home this morn. Almost had a wreck the other day when the thing gave out on me as I went to put on the brakes. Didn’t wanna replay trying to make it to the clinic.

10. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

I watched the documentary today!!! Really liked it. I know it made me think about a lot of things. It will show it in Part3!!!!!

11. Donnie

It’s a great documentary about a great man. I’m realy glad to hear you enjoyed it. I met many of the guys who served with JK in VN when I was in NH for the primary. It was a real honor.

12. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

Pamela, If he runs again, or comes down here to help someone else, I would so like to me him!!!

13. Donnie

I know he is supposed to make another trip down there with supplies, I will let you know if I hear anything. You should read Tour of Duty too. The paperback is out now.

P.S. You made my day…

14. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

If you think I made your day, I will have part3 ready within 30 to 40 mins. or so. I think shock and awe will not even describe this one. Then will I make your day!!! I’m gonna rock the very earth and you will see the one thing you never expected to see in your life time.