My Big Question

It certainly appears to be reality. Katrina has knocked 9/11 and the War on Terror out of the arena, and left our President stripped bare. He is now the “Responsibility President”, an image worked up overnight to save the floundering (should I say drowning?) Republican Party. This isn’t quite in synch with the privatized infinitessimal bathtub variety of governance they were previously professing.

Since in my humble assessment, you is what you is, and one thing Mr. Bush isn’t, is a leader of men. As this becomes clear to the American public, and a vacuum of leadership is created, what should the Democratic Party choose as its main thrust into this vacated spot?

What should the Democrats simply promise to do for the United States of America?

17 Responses to My Big Question

1. florida dem says:

The Responsibility President? Are they serious? One group that’s not buying it is African Americans. Shrub set the GOP back majorly with black Americans with his poor response to Katrina. And his mother….don’t even go there. The guy has been revealed for what we all knew all along — inept and incompetent. All that talk last year about having kept us safer and more prepared since 9/11 was a bunch of BS and now everyone knows it. Now he wants to run around with his sleeves rolled up like he’s actually going to get his hands dirty. Puhleeze.

Katrina – this act of God – managed to do what last year’s multi-million dollar, multimedia, anti-Bush campaign couldn’t – expose the Chimperor as the deficient he really is to the American public. God does work in mysterious ways, and then sometimes he’s more than obvious.

To answer your question Teresa, I don’t think the Dems have to or should do more than continue to call the GOP cabal on their BS. Anything more orchestrated will appear just that and folks are so media savvy these days, even the casual observer knows about the evil of spin. In my opinion, it’s usually the unexpected that shifts public opinions in a major way, not orchestrated efforts. As well oiled and funded both sides were in 2004, they still only managed to split the vote, but Katrina, an unexpected singular event has sent Shrub’s numbers plummeting. It’s similar to 9/11 in that Shrub’s numbers, which were pretty anemic in 2001, skyrocketed after 9/11. Whereas 9/11 was the best thing that happened to Shrub, Katrina is certainly poised to be the worst.

2. Teresa says:

florida dem,

I agree that Katrina has and will continue to pack a powerful punch. For a disaster to further decrease a President’s approval is extremely unusual. So maybe the Finger of Fate will take care of a lot of things and we should guard against trying too hard.

I still am impressed with Kerry’s adherence to the positive and the country’s future during his last trial and tribulation. It changed my behavior just watching and studying his reaction to attack. He’s doing the same thing now in using restraint in his criticism and concentrating on helping the people through this crisis. All this mob hate and hysteria make it worse. I wish we could take his lead and offer some hope.

I do love this statement you made and I agree:

3. beachmom says:

I think now is the time for the Dems to craft a simple, coherent message. Remember the GOP’s was “limited government, lower taxes, strong defense, family values”. It’s about time the Dems do the same, and then every candidate across the land in ’06 repeats it.

I had some ideas, like the Democrats are the security party: national security, social security, health security. And national security means funding ALL of the agencies properly, not just defense, starting with DHS.

In the end, no one person can come out and be the “leader” because our democracy, which is not parliamentary, is not set up that way. But why not agree on a message for ’06, and everyone can say it. I think we can steal national security away from the GOP. They obviously can’t keep us safe (no one can, really), but the Dems can create a government that works for the people, by giving government the respect and funding it needs to succeed.

4. Teresa says:

beachmom,

“the Dems can create a government that works for the people, by giving government the respect and funding it needs to succeed.”

I’m wary of even using the word security since it’s been so abused. And I’d like to see us stop focusing on threat so much and think more about potential and the building of inner strength.

5. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

Teresa, King George the Grim Reaper, got robbed of another soul and by Guard units at that!!

September 14. 2005 12:11PM

In Katrina’s wake, guardsmen save elderly woman’s life

By TOM BONNETTE
    The Courier

HOUMA — Three New Hampshire soldiers have been recognized for distinguished, selfless service to their country during a national tragedy because they helped save the life of an elderly storm victim who nearly died of a heart attack while waiting for food in the stifling summer heat.

6. Teresa says:

The bearer of good news!!

Donnie, our heaven sent courier comes through! You never know what the bayous will yield.

7. Ginny in CO says:

Teresa,

I agree that security has a lot of baggage.. I came up with something the other night that I am working into my answers and ideas on these questions.

How about Synergy?

Synergy is what happens when an effect is far greater than the sum total of the parts, Teamwork creates synergy – like the classic V formation of ducks and geese. The GOP is the individuality party. We are the village. Civilization exists because of the village.

8. Marjorie G says:

Too Clinton and it takes a village, however really good the concept. When I think of formation, and each knowing its role, can be too formula and militaristic. We just came frrom there.

9. How about “we are the world”?

Sorry… slap happy stupidly tired tonight.

Marjorie

I’ve looked for days and come up short over and over. Not a good time for me to throw caution to the wind I am sorry to say. Too much responsibility, too much work heading into my busy season and not enough cold hard cash!

The airline bankruptcies did not help today. I found an awesome deal this morning that changed by about $100 each soon after the announcement on those. Sadly the airlines I was looking at seems to be the next one inline to go under – Independence Air.

10. Marjorie G says:

I’ll remain hopeful for success up to that last minute.

11. Teresa says:

12. Ginny in CO says:

Marjorie,

If you change my supporting comments to Democratic ears and use Synergy with other visual images and words, is it better? Eg; Community vs village?

The village concept was actually reinforced yesterday when I heard a local DJ and traffic reporter commenting on the station’s Katrina donation drive the day before. They actually concluded with comments that “We are a village” and “It does take a
    village”.

And keep in mind, the flight formations are often imprecise – it still works. Also interesting is that the leader is changed frequently because it is such a difficult position to maintain for long. As are the lead sled dogs in the north.

Just went to a skills fair today to comply with JCAHO standards. One of the reviews is on who does what in a code. All very spelled out and cuts down a lot of chaos in the real event. It also is routinely altered some way because there are differences in all codes that require individualization.

It’s a balancing act – having guidelines to save time and confusion versus knowing when certain parts won’t work.

13. KJ says:

Great question, Teresa. So much said:

“God does work in mysterious ways, and then sometimes he’s more than obvious.” Also, “In my opinion, it’s usually the unexpected that shifts public opinions in a major way, not orchestrated efforts.” ~~florida dem

“They obviously can’t keep us safe (no one can, really), but the Dems can create a government that works for the people, by giving government the respect and funding it needs to succeed.” ~~beachmom

“Respect is such a good one. I think it is time to underscore the difference in philosophy and paint the government as something to be treasured and cared for….funded, shared, and able to assume responsibility in any situation, through disasters and in ordinary day to day functioning. Instead of an authoritative, parental role, maybe it could be emphasized that is is our creation and we need to make it work for us. We can’t survive without one.”~~Teresa

“The GOP is the individuality party. We are the village. Civilization exists because of the village.”~~Ginny
    ——-But then, Marjorie makes a good point about the word ‘village.’ One thing we might want to think about is polishing up the word “public,” which apparently doesn’t test well in focus groups. Or else come up with an alternative word. ‘We are the people,’ hmm, that sounds too ‘We are the world’ of course, ‘Community’ is always good. Or, “We ARE ‘We the People'” hmmmm

“I think The Dems should move away from all the issues used until now. I’m thinking responsibility primarily. Responsibility of the government toward the people and vice versa. And honesty.”~~Teresa

You know, that’s why I LOVE coming here first thing with first cup of joe in the morning. SO MANY good thoughts, and followup, and community, right here. Smiling to start the day is always good.

14. Teresa says:

kj,

I agree. And the people here are goodhearted.

I think we should shift the idea of a government that protects us and babysits us to one that works for us. More emphasis should be placed on the people’s participation. The fact that we all need to work together.

15. KJ says:

Teresa, yes, exactly. I think America needs to come out of its prolonged adolescence and grow up. It’s past time. We are adults. We know how to work for the commen good. We have the empathy gene. Time to self-realize and then get on with it, like, yesterday.

😉

16. Teresa says:

Absodamnlutely, kj.

17. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

I just thought of what might be a good slogan or least a sign placard!!!
    “Take Responsibility for Katrina, or was it Corrina”