Bush offered a lackluster speech tonight and platitudes galore…

Below is a statement from Senator John Kerry on President Bush’s address tonight on the devastation of Hurricane Katrina:

“Leadership isn’t a speech or a toll-free number. Leadership is getting the job done. No American doubts that New Orleans will rise again, they doubt the competence and commitment of this Administration. Weeks after Katrina, Americans want an end to politics-as-usual that leaves them dangerously and unforgivably unprepared. Americans want to know that their government will be there when it counts with leadership that keeps them safe, not speeches in the aftermath to explain away the inexcusable.”

A note on John Kerry’s statement and the difference between Kerry and Bush in “getting the job done”:

Today, the Senate passed a bill that will aid Small Businesses affected by Hurricane Katrina. That bill was authored by John Kerry.

Bush spoke of aiding Small Business tonight in his speech, as though it was something he would initiate, but the fact is that John Kerry has been working on aid to Small Businesses affected by Katrina for well over a week. Kerry’s first announcement of his legislation came on September 9. The bill was passed in the Senate with bi-partisan support and some modifications earlier today.

Perhaps, Bush needs a DVD prepared of the proceedings on the Senate floor today. I would suggest that the video of Kerry’s Floor Speech on his amendment, from yesterday, be added to that video as well, so that the President can get up to speed on how real leaders work.

UPDATE: Kerry gets the last word on CNN story on Bush’s speech.

UPDATE: The WaPo has a blow by blow on Bush’s speech and they neatly weave in a quip from John Kerry’s statement here.

46 Responses to John Kerry Responds to President Bush’s Speech to the Nation: "Leadership isn’t a speech or a toll-free number"

1. Pingback: Project Nothing! » Blog Archive » I missed Bush’s Speech

2. Ben Mercadante says:

Well,
    No smirks, lots of big promises and he did not even say “terrorist” ( new nomenclature: “Evil Men”) Though jr did mention 9/11.
    Ted Kopple had an interviewer on the streets talking to victims, sounded like they bought it…if I were them I would not hold my breath. It appears the Rovian crew will be up for yet another “Teflon” award soon. Let’s hope this pie -in-the-sky rhetoric gets some press scutiny. I know the environmental remarks were a total white wash, I have read that they are doing as few water checks as possible and that some environmental groups are suing them for not releasing the data or findings ( they pulled the same stunt after 9/ll) all this per green peace, they also have satilite
    pictures of several large oil slicks in the gulf, MORE cover -up. Well I hope some of the other senators also chime in , or we may not hear about what the other side thinks as the MSM has been “folk slapped” again as jr spun his little down home vignettes about all the heros, and “regular folk” that rose to the occasion. not so much about the missing heroic deeds of the feds we shall see if someone points out the discrepancy.

3. Indie Liberal says:

Wow! Kerry is on it. 🙂

4. Ben

I could have sworn I saw a smirk or two. I still have to check for environmental stuff… looking tonight!

5. Indie Liberal

Yes he is!

6. Teresa says:

That sniveling bastard! Hiding behind Kerry.

7. Marjorie G says:

Dare I ask if any media has made mention of all this go-to Kerryism?

8. Teresa says:

It’s just a speech. The polls will go up and people will try to convince themselves that everything is under control.

Soon he will desperately try to bring the ball back to terror, but I think he’s lost it permanently. He will become more and more frustrated and people will sense it. They are close to realizing that Iraq is a failure that can’t be fixed. He is completely out of his element in dealing with the real problems of Americans. This will clearly unfold. As it does, the democrats will be offering an alternative that will become increasingly desirable.

9. Marjorie

I did catch a quip of this on CNN – last paragraph (fitting it seems that Kerry gets the last word!)

10. Teresa says:

I also think Kerry will emerge in the spotlight as the need increases for what he has to offer. We should be patient. A slow steady rise is best. Kerry has yet to receive the recognition he deserves, but I believe he will get it.

11. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

Ben Mercadante, Look for my third installment of, A Republicans’s View. I think you might like this beyond what you can imagine. I think you might be suprised at what is going on!!!!

12. Indie Liberal says:

Marjorie G Says:

September 15th, 2005 at 9:39 pm
    Dare I ask if any media has made mention of all this go-to Kerryism?

I want to know that too. I am afraid to post pro-Kerry stuff at urban sites.

13. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

Geez, Indie, Post what you feel here!! don’t live in a box. That is what the GOP wants you to do. Live and enjoy your right to speech. Let it Rip!!!! Get mad! Get ready! Let it go! We all need to vent! Hell if they can accept a Republican to come into the ranks, surely you can stretch your wings.

14. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

PS, I don’t think you will have probs. with praising Kerry on this sight. It is quite welcome!!!

15. Indie Liberal says:

Oh, it’s not this blog. I love posting here. It’s just the minority sites like Africana.com and elsewhere. I feel they are still bitter about the election.

16. Indie Liberal says:

Excerpts from http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050916/ap_on_go_pr_wh/katrina_bush

Bush repeated a hotline number, 1-877-568-3317, for people to call to help reunite family members separated during the hurricane. Moments later, Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., criticized Bush, saying “Leadership isn’t a speech or a toll-free number.”

“No American doubts that New Orleans will rise again,” Kerry said. “They doubt the competence and commitment of this administration.” House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid, in a joint statement, said, “We are concerned by Bush administration initiatives this week waiving wage protections, environmental safeguards and protections for veterans, minorities, women and the disabled.”

17. Indie Liberal,

I just found that one on the WaPo and posted an update in the thread. Nice little weave they did with that. Shows Bush to be the A** he is!

18. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

India, What is diff. about this blog, is the fact that they really are a good bunch of people.

19. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

If you want to know how good they are, they have taken me in like one of their own, and gave me the chance to do a series as a guest blog. This might not seem so out there, but Pamela did this, knowing I was a Republican. We have managed to break some of the mystery, but we have a long way to go.

20. Donnie

We’re a unique bunch of “good” people, that’s for sure. I emailed you…

21. Indie Liberal Says: September 15th, 2005 at 11:16 pm

Maybe it would be helpful to post the stuff about the bills the Senate passed today that will so many, on the urban websites. Just a thought, you know them better.

22. Indie Liberal says:

No, Pam, Ron, Teresa, Nick, KJ, florida dem are are good bunch of people. I should have rephrased my sentence. I was looking for ways I could spread the word about what Kerry is saying/doing, it’s hard sometimes cause peeps are still po’d over the election.

I like it here. I have this site as a signature line everywhere I post. 🙂

BTW: Welcome Donnie. (wave)

23. Indie Liberal says:

Thanks Pam,

Oops, I forgot Ginny, Ben, and Todd. 🙂

24. Teresa says:

Don’t give up Indie. You are so so right. The word needs to be spread repeatedly in as many places as possible.

25. Indie Liberal says:

Thanks Pam and Teresa. 🙂

26. Indie Liberal says:

Donnie From Houma, LA Says:

September 15th, 2005 at 11:54 pm

That’s good news. 🙂

27. Indie Liberal says:

Oh, and Marjorie too. You guys rock!

28. Indie Lib

You rock too! Off to sleep –

29. Teresa says:

I just heard some excerpts of the speech and it was despicable. Reading between the lines, it was pretty horrifying, some of the things that slipped by. And the fawning is just as despicable. He’s lying as he always does, and all his people are salivating waiting for the rip off. The cheap religious tone, the church, and the inner laugh knowing that people are falling for it once again. It’s tragic.

30. Teresa says:

Although I’m not sure they’re going to fall for it just now.

31. Ben Mercadante says:

Donnie,

I shall wait for the “inside” scoop…

32. KJ says:

Have to go read the speech, and then Krugman’s column posted above. As it sits, am not yet completely awake, but sort of sick to my stomach at this ‘rebuilding’ plan. Ben, in your very first post, you mentioned the non-release of the environment damage (and current dangers) in NYC after 9/11. I remember that. I remember posting link after link about that at the time and then later, all through the campaign. The thought of something like this happening again… it just will not stand.

33. KJ says:

Forgive me, just need to see this again… 😉

“Leadership isn’t a speech or a toll-free number. Leadership is getting the job done. No American doubts that New Orleans will rise again. They doubt the competence and commitment of this administration.”
    ~~Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts

34. Ben Mercadante says:

KJ

Yea, I just read some reports on the ongoing health problems of the workers and hero’s of that event, (9/11) …. we have a strange way of rewarding people in this country, we sweep the good one’s under the rug and promote the fakes….makes you want to puke

35. KJ says:

Ben, it does, it does. Am still not awake, but I know, my god, if we don’t pay attention to the rebuilding of the Gulf Coast, every last detail, if that isn’t done, it will happen again.

36. KJ says:

I’m thinking we need a section on the site… Pamela, Ron? Specifically named Gulf Coast Rebuilding. We need to stay on top of everything. We need to do whatever we can to make this right and get this right.

I’m hopefully and worried, at the same time.

37. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

I will most certainly be looking at it real close KJ. I email any breaking news I get out the local papers to Pamela.

38. janet says:

I picture a gleaming city with beautiful homes and picket fences. As they take a picture of Bush and Rove with the lovely houses in the background and the sign “Mission Accomplished”, a photographer sneezes and it all falls down.

39. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

Janet, the melee started after the storm. I don’t think Gov. Blanco is going to just turn a deaf ear to this one. We people here in Louisiana, are gonna watch this, and jump and scream foul when King George’s cronies screw up.

Both Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin, know what is as stake. I don’t know if you ever heard the radio broadcast he did, but the mayor loosing control of his emotions, under the circumstances, was surreal. It relayed what us Louisianians feel and expect. “Get off your Asses” still rings in my ears.

40. KJ says:

Donnie From Houma, LA Says:
    September 16th, 2005 at 6:54 am

Donnie, excellent. With your on-site reporting, and the Democrat’s alternatives, posted on this site, we’ll have an action plan composed of concrete, specific details to take action on. I’m really looking forward to this!

41. KJ says:

janet, so good to see you! LOL’ed at your description of the faux set for Dub and his minions, I mean, handlers. 😉

“We can huff and we can puff and we can blow the house down!” LOL

42. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

And to think that Ophelia has battered SC, after what has happened already. I wonder how King George is gonna handle this too. Lets put his theory that he can do more than one thing at a time, to the test!!!

43. Donnie From Houma, LA says:

Reporting the news:

This is just one section, from the story. And they bring up if it’s a good or bad thing, about taxes. Talk about ANAL!!!! Using this to talk about their causes.

“Most Americans disapprove of his handling of Katrina, and his job-approval rating has been dragged down to the lowest point of his presidency also because of dissatisfaction with the Iraq war and rising gas prices. He has struggled to demonstrate the same take-charge leadership he displayed after the Sept. 11 terror attacks four years ago, but Republicans fret that he waited too long to address the nation with reassurances”

After denying charges that blacks and poor people were forgotten in the search and recovery efforts, Bush planned to promise that needy people would get special attention in the reconstruction, officials said.

Black Americans have been particularly angered by the government response to the disaster, with an overwhelming majority telling pollsters they believe help would have come quicker if so many of the people stranded were not poor and black.

Is anyone keeping a tally of the time he came to Louisiana, compared to the other gulf states? He’s occupied with New Orleans, and overlooking everyone else. The spin machine will pop of into orbit by the time this is done.