Who’s Spinning What? Reaction to Kerry’s Speech

John Kerry’s scathing speech today has hit some nerves.

(AP Photo/Joe Giblin)
(AP Photo/Joe Giblin)

The Hill offers a look at the spin from the RNC, along with this quip:

Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) unleashed a furious attack on the Bush administration at a Brown University speech yesterday, upbraiding the president’s response to the hurricane that recently devastated the Gulf Coastand tying it to what he sees as other flaws at the White House.

Financial Times coupled quips from Kerry’s speech with a quote from RNC, and noted:

Democrats have been outspoken in the criticism of the Bush administration’s handling of the hurricane and its aftermath. But Mr Kerry’s blunt attack – coupled with separate remarks yesterday by John Edwards, his running mate in 2004 – showed the ongoing political dimensions of the storm.

(AP Photo/Joe Giblin)
(AP Photo/Joe Giblin)

It’s clearly evident by the spin from the RNC that they are more than a little concerned by Kerry’s speech. Most of the MSM has coupled Kerry’s speech together with Edwards, as though this were an orchestrated attack. Hardly, I’m certain.

The American public is well aware of the mess the Bush administration has made in the aftermath of Katrina. Kerry neatly outlines the parallels in the Katrina disaster to other major issues that Bush has mishandled through his presidency. While most of what Kerry said today was not small surprise to those who supported him in 2004, it’s a wake up call for those who are now suffering from a huge case of buyer’s remorse and regret for having voted for Bush.

(AP Photo/Joe Giblin)
(AP Photo/Joe Giblin)

Of course the usual speculation of “will Kerry run in ’08” has been peppered into all the spin today. Only time will tell…

(AP Photo/Joe Giblin)
(AP Photo/Joe Giblin)

Related Post: Kerry’s Was Harsher by Far

32 Responses to Who’s Spinning What? Reaction to Kerry’s Speech

1. Teresa says:

I’m thrilled!!!

I picked well.

2. Teresa,

You got that right lady! I just wish a few more of the clueless picked well too.

I mean after 4 years, if you STILL hadn’t figured out that Bush and his admin were the most incompetent, dishonest, political, unethical and corrupt admins in the history of this once fine country, you have some serious problems and probably should never even vote in any future elections Though if you do, then at least flip a coin for all of them, so you have at least a chance of picking the best candidate.

Even with the “liberal MSM” whole heartedly assisting Bush and also giving him passes on everything since during the 2000 election, Bush was so blatantly obviously horrible in every way, that unless you’d been in a 4 year coma, there was NO way not to comprehend that.

p.s. Nice pics!!!!

3. Glad to see Kerry finally getting a tiny bit of press coverage for a change. This man could have been our President! And the world weeps…

4. Dave from Princeton

I see the clueless have actually been here tonight.

5. Marjorie G says:

Pamela, and there are so many more out there that we’ll want to vote.

6. KJ says:

Why don’t we do our own: “what the ‘wingers are doing/saying/screwing up and what JK’s response is” best of the day or week….

7. KJ

Sounds like a plan. I’ve been off line for a while and haven’t checked the news wires.

8. NativeTexan4Kerry says:

The speech was BRILLIANT. I wish I could have seen/heard it. I read it. Towards the end when he made allusions to Kennedy’s call to service, etc… I was nearly in tears.

9. Native Texan

Hard to read it with out shedding a few.

10. The Good Doctor says:

Now the whole world knows that ‘W’ stands for ‘Worst’. I mean, who are you gonna believe: Karl Rove or your own lying eyes? It’s time for truth; the facts are intraconvertible: from 9-11 to the Iraqi Quagmire to No WMD to No Osama to Abu Griab to Gitmo to the Downing Street Memos to Rove-Gate to the largest national debt in world history and now to Katrina, this administration has demonstrated clearly to any thinking person that the Bushies are, without exception the most boneheaded, arrogant, hamhanded, ignorant and incompetent bunch of crooks, liars, cronies and unqualified political hacks that have ever darkened the halls of the White House. George W Bush will go down as the worst president in American history! Impeach Bush / Cheney Now… before it’s too late.

11. Ginny in CO says:

Busy Day,

Found the speech in me e-mail…

Nailed, slam dunk

Something “in there for ALL of us”

Happy Days….

12. Ginny

Yes indeed. Still going back and reading it, I am saying “wow”.

13. Yeah, I would love to hear the audio of JKs speech today too, or dare I hope, even video?

14. sandrakae says:

If only we could to what California did, I know he could win in a recall election. I just hope he runs again.

15. Marjorie G says:

I know I’d like vindication and my choice of a lifetime, but a part of me says with the election fraud, does JK want to be a candidate responsible again for something not his fault?

16. sandrakae Says: September 19th, 2005 at 8:44 pm

It would be great if we could do a recall. I don’t believe that has ever been done. All of us here hope that he will run again.

17. Indie Liberal says:

Marjorie G Says:

September 19th, 2005 at 8:56 pm

Good question.

18. Teresa says:

I think JK is too smart to run if he thinks he will be defrauded.
    I’m sure the tide in favor of the Dems by that time will override the fraud.

19. Indie Liberal says:

I wish I had your optimism Teresa. (sigh)

20. Teresa says:

I don’t think you’d really want my optimism. It’s not always connected to reality. It never deserts me though.

But don’t worry too much about the media and the politicians. It’s ouside of your control and things eventually work out. This country is going through some hard lessons but we’re learning.

Right now is a good time to celebrate and feel the joy as this administration is finished and so is the Republican Party in its present form. They will have to restructure. Voting machines alone won’t work for such failed policies.

21. Teresa

My optimism is often where yours is. LOL! I’m heartened today by JK’s speach. he knows what he is up against. When and if he chooses to run again, he’ll know it is the right choice. We need him. No one else is capable.

22. Dave from Princeton

I was told that NPR was taping but could not find it. Will check again, because this speech was an awesome read, I would love to him though.

23. Teresa says:

I trust JK implicitly. That’s one of the reasons I remain loyal. I do so agree that he is exactly what we need. And capability will be what the American public craves. The endless repetetive whining about him is just babyish resistance to the truth of his eventual presidency. They know it. A lot of them don’t like him but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.

I haven’t liked any US President in my life and I’ve survived it. They will too.

24. Teresa

Good logic there. A friend said to me tonight that he was discussing JK with some people today and the consensus was we need him. There is no one else.

25. Teresa says:

I’m sure of it.

26. Me too, T, me too!

Go read Donnie’s post in JK’s speech thread.

27. Finnegen says:

It’s a very good speech, but god a difference a year makes! I remember at this time last year as the hurricanes swept across Florida many – ok, just about all- of the big shot Dems sat back and waited for Bush to fail and then we’d all sail back in to power. Now we’re finally giving the speeches we should have given last year. We won’t be getting any votes for them and the republicans will have a year to recover.

Last year JK was persuaded by his senior advisers to play nice, not respond to Bush’s emasculating attacks and not attack Bush’s credibility in the area of competence, view of the world or his crass and cynical use of fear, faith and religion. His advisers instead hoped teacher, in the form of the media, would just stand up and disqualify the guy who was not fighting fair. Well nobody is or will fight or battles for us.

If JK is to run again and I hope he does. He’ll need to rebuild the credibility the swift boater liars and the lack of response destroyed. I hope he gives the public clear and succinct explanations of his ideas and plans of how he can do a better job. And most of all explain why they’re better.

He should compare and contrast his ideas to what we have now. Explain how the county will be better off. This is something Clinton was very good at. It showed he could connect and understand the concerns of everyday folks. JK does too, but he has yet to clearly demonstrate this, he needs incorporate these comparisons into his speeches. And lastly stop worrying if the media or all in the crowd get it. Most will eventually, but he needs to stop be self conscious about whether his audience agrees with him.

28. Finnegen

Welcome to the Dem Daily. Your last two paragraphs are great points. You’re right, others WILL get it.

29. Indie Liberal says:

Well said Finnegen. 🙂

30. Marjorie G says:

In 2000, Kerry was considered too maverick, unpredictable and charismatic for Gore. Also he was a bachelor until ’95, and post-Clinton perceived a liability. Regardless of the lack of scandal.

Shows what a little deconstruction and too much handling can do to a campaign, which, in fairness, had to be cautious in this GOP-owned media climate.

31. Marjorie

Far too charismatic for Gore!