John Kerry will participate in the Congressional Black Caucus’ 35th annual legislative conference tomorrow, Friday, September 23.

Kerry will keynote three “brain trust” sessions on health care, veterans and education:

· Health Care – After the Storm: Taking Our Communities from Havoc to Health and Hope

Organized by Del. Donna Christensen (D-Virgin Islands).

· Veterans – African American War Widows and Gold Star Families: Then and Now

Organized by Rep. Corrine Brown (D-Fla.).

· Education – Forging Forward 50 Years After Brown v. Board of Education

Organized by Rep. Juanita Millender-McDonald (D-Calif.).

WHO: Senator John Kerry

WHAT: Keynote addresses to Congressional Black Caucus meetings on health care, veterans and education

WHEN: Friday, September 23
Health Care – 9:00 a.m. Room 144-BC
Veterans – 10:00 a.m. Room 202-B
Education – 10:30 a.m. Room 209-B

WHERE: Washing Convention Center
801 Mt Vernon Place, NW
Washington, D.C.

23 Responses to John Kerry to Keynote Congressional Black Caucus Sessions on Health Care, Veterans and Education

1. Indie Liberal says:

Cool. Thanks for posting this Pam. 🙂

2. Indie Liberal

I knew that would make your day! 🙂

3. Indie Liberal says:

It did. I think Obama and a few others are going to be there also. Interesting this is the same time when the Anti-War protest is going to begin. 🙂

4. Marjorie G says:

I love this Kerryfest. Can’t at all guage awareness on the blogsphere or with the general population, but my heart goes pitty pat at all his leadership on our behalf. Off to my meetup.

5. Indie Liberal

Yes, it is interesting. I’m so glad he his doing this.

Marjorie

I’m sensing most of the blogosphere is acting like nothing is happening. No acknowledgement one way or another. I did my usual passing around of info… Meanwhile the media has picked up on some of it. Folks on the street have a more sensible view of JK in my opinion.

6. Ginny in CO says:

And he’s got three years to keep building the general publics awareness. Maybe the blogosphere is dealing with cognitive dissonance? 🙂

7. Teresa says:

Ginny,

The cognitive dissonance astounds me. But for some reason most people can’t quite face it all yet. I understand. And I’m not going to fret excessively.

I do believe that we are in a little cacoon of clarity and that when the time comes, we, here, will rejoice in seeing what we hoped for come into fruition. It’s so important that we keep a steady faith in ourselves alive. And others will gradually sense the warmth and light.

There is a huge and remarkable absence of hate at Democratic Daily. Optimism is my drug of shoice.

8. Teresa says:

“shoice”? Sounds like I’m drinking too!

Another thing is that here there is less of an obsession with Bush. There are other important things to talk about.

9. Ginny in CO says:

Teresa,

Wonderful ! I have been ranting on the First Read thread because of my too high expectations that people will think – before a crisis.

Be glad to drink that optimism anytime!

Yes, other important things, I hope all who are going to DC for the march are busy packing, watering the plants, etc. I am still trying to persuade my Dad and sisters that they couldn’t find a better way to celebrate his 80th (9/25) than to join the march.
    Oh, don’t worry, my sisters will be worn out before Dad is.

10. florida dem says:

This is a nice oasis. Extremely insightful and reasonable. I was lurking at Dkos earlier today and they are still running fantasy Dem presidential candidate polls for 08. For some reason every other day this week there has been a fantasy presidential poll at DK. Of course Clark wins every one. Then they did one with Dean on the list and another with Gore. Sheesh. It’s no wonder why many of them are still fighting the 2004 primary battle. They seem to love wallowing in the past.

11. florida dem says:

I’m so glad JK is speaking at the CBC event. You know I had plans to attend this. Dangit. Maybe next year.

12. Ginny in CO
    September 22nd, 2005 at 5:36 pm

Ginny are you coming out east to attend the festivities in DC this weekend?

Dave

13. Florida Dem

Nothing absolutely nothing takes prededence over ’08 polls, don’t you think? LOL!

Maybe we should start putting up polls! NOT!

It’s going to be packed in DC — right, Dave from Princeton?

14. Ginny in CO says:

Dave,

I wish I could have accepted the plane ticket I was offered to join them. Dad and his wife live in Silver Springs, MD, near Nick. Problem was timing and available vacation time.

Had I known then what I know now, I would have worked my birthday to change weekends and be there. Too late.

Any projections on how many might show up?

I should add that this is an appropriate way to celebrate Dad’s 80th because he was involved in the Civil Rights movement almost as soon as he got back from WWII. The ONLY time in my life I ever saw him cry was during the “I Have a Dream Speech”. I was standing in front of the TV so stunned by the power of the speech, I glanced at him and knew it was BIG.

15. Ginny in CO says:

Florida dem,

I was wishing we could post Donnie’s remarks on Dean over there. Every time I check in, it’s a waste of time. Some of the stuff is so shallow you would think the authors would have the self respect to get a little informed on a subject before they write an opinion. You know, google it?

I realize these youngsters* are very idealistic and are sure they know better than those of us who have been watching this drama for over 2 decades. And I can agree that some of the folks at the top did not grasp the power of the Internet to collect ideas and spread them. We did a pretty good job of it without them. I do see them continuing the useless exercise of wallowing as you observed.

Maybe we could send tea leaves so they could better determine the polls.

*some of them may be older than this implies. They don’t seem to have grown up.

16. Ginny in CO Says:
    September 22nd, 2005 at 8:27 pm

Oh, too bad 🙁

Pretty cool about your father. Talk about a lifelong activist! Yeah, I bet he definitely would enjoy the festivities this weekend.

I was wondering if Nick would be there. I assumed he probably would be since I remembered him mentioning he was in MD. If so, he should be easy to spot. I’ll just keep my eye out for a guy carrying around a calculator, working up some real time DC protest stats 😉

BTW, what part of CO do you live in? Two of my oldest and best friends live there(one in Denver and the other in Glenwood Springs). Though they have gone to the dark side. 🙁 Needless to say, I realized during the 2004 election, that we must never discuss politics again. Well, if I want to be able to stay friends with them, which I do…

Pamela,
    Yeah, sure seems like there are going to be a huge number of people in DC on Saturday. l even heard from someone I knew in HS who left me a voice mail last week about it. She asked I was planning on going down for it. She’s going down on a bus Saturday with a local peace group. She said they’d arrive at 11:30am and then the bus heads back at 5:00pm…. Since there are likely many more groups like that around, with people who’ll be spending twice as long on the road as they’ll spend in DC, just to send a message, I’m getting the feeling this could end up being something very big…

17. Dave

I agree, it’s going to be big. Estimates are 250,000 – but the MSM is playing it down to 100,000.

I’ve been to Glenwood Springs!

Ginny,

My sister used to live outside of Aspen, in Carbondale.

18. Ginny in CO says:

Dave,

The weird thing is I don’t get the sense that any of them has an idea of how big this is. And my oldest sister had a major row with my parents because they wouldn’t let her go to Birmingham -when she was 15.

I live in Wheat Ridge. Was an independent city northwest of Denver originally. Now one street is the dividing line between the two. I think we all have those friends – some of mine didn’t leave when the darkness settled in. Now they can’t see their way out.

Anybody see/hear about this?

Kinda like all the cities that independently voted to follow the Kyoto treaty. Chicago also passed the same resolution.

Dave, I am hoping this is going to be as big an impact as the Civil Rights march and the VN Vets Against the war. Sometimes my hopes get the better of my reason. Gotta have some.

Well be glad you can make it and wave at those cameras. You should all come up with something to hold up :).

19. For obvious reasons, I will not be able to make it to DC. But I hope ya’ll will go forth, with the knowledge that I will be there in spirit with each of you. This will be a moment that will be captured in time. I truly feel that there will be a spirit of unity that will be unleashed upon the democratic party. There will still be those, that are still going to be caught up in that time warp. Go forth with faith and hope for our country. Go forth with the words of John Kerry ringing in your ears.

If any of you, should happen to meet Cindy Sheehan, tell her that I am there with her, and I thank her for being so strong at a time, that needs people like her. Back that bully Down!!

I know in my heart, that this will be one of those moments in history, that a song will ring in people’s ears. That song will continue to get louder. It will vibrate through all the country. Go forth my friends and make history.

20. Teresa says:

Beautiful, again, Donnie. You are an inspiration. Our Republican pastor has come!

21. Donnie

You’re back… How’s it going.

22. Nick says:

this a post after the Sat. protest:
    Went down there folks, it was hard to see anything. Could hear some speeches loud and clear. wasn’t sure how many people were. WaPo should have a story this morning.