Rita Evacuation: "This Is The Worst Planning I've Ever Seen"

This is the worst planning I’ve ever seen,” said Judie Anderson, who covered just 45 miles in 12 hours after setting out from her home in the Houston suburb of LaPorte. “They say we’ve learned a lot from Hurricane Katrina. Well, you couldn’t prove it by me.”

In Galveston: “Residents walked, biked and drove across a bridge linking Galveston to the Texas mainland, abandoning the town where between 8,000 and 12,000 people were killed in a 1900 hurricane, the deadliest natural disaster ever in the United States.”

The Red Cross has never dealt with anything like this before,” said Sam Hilbun of New Orleans, now volunteering for the Red Cross in Baton Rouge. “The system could be better,” he continued, “but it’s normally set up to work two or three days. This is the third week.”

30 Responses to Rita Evacuation: "This Is The Worst Planning I've Ever Seen"

1. Teresa says:

It’s getting simple. Our next President will have to have organizational and administrative skills.

2. Ginny in CO says:

Teresa,

Now, who would that be ๐Ÿ™‚

Will this be blamed on the local officials or the citizens evacuating?

I gather I’m not the only one with insomnia….

3. And they want billions and billions of dollars to protect us from…oops, we allready gave it to them…

4. Now the people of his own state are going to get a taste of his failed policies. I worked a lot out of Galveston, and I know I would never want to be anywhere near there for a storm. I have seen that place with just regular bad weather, and it’s going to get worse yet.

5. Ginny in CO says:

Donnie,

Looks like you are correct:

Bus Carrying Evacuees Catches Fire; 1 Dead
    By Associated Press

24 minutes ago

DALLAS – A bus filled with Hurricane Rita evacuees caught fire early Friday on gridlocked Interstate 45, killing at least one person and injuring others, a television station reported.

The bus was engulfed with flames, causing a 17-mile backup on a freeway that was already heavily congested with evacuees from the Gulf Coast. Dallas television station WFAA reported one person was killed and 12 were injured.

Maybe Rita will lose some power and get down to a 3 before landfall. At least Galveston is empty . The oil refineries are now the biggest potential casualty.

6. Robert says:

Let’s see. Global warming increases temperature of sea. Increased sea temperatures increase number and ferocity of storms. Families urged to evacuate in their government-subsidized SUVs, which get maybe six miles per gallon in the 100-mile traffic jam heading north from Houston? Conclusion: government-bungled evacuations cause hurricanes.

7. florida dem says:

I’m sure the terrorists are taking notes on this one. Our disaster infrastructure doesn’t suck. It’s worse. It’s nonexistent. What if this was a terrorist attack? We would be so screwed. Maybe this is God’s, fate’s, or whatever you believe in, way of showing us that the emperor truly has no clothes. All of those folks who voted for him because they thought he could keep us safer are finally seeing that none of our major cities or states have a decent disaster plan, which, as I recall, was something that was promised by the Chimp in Chief years ago after 9/11. Puhleeze.

8. Teresa says:

We’re sitting ducks with one lame duck trying to lead us.

9. Ginny in CO says:

Teresa,

I do feel like I’m sitting here watching a lame, naked duck try to fly with no feathers,,,,

10. Ron Chusid says:

Just in from CNN:

— Rising water due to Hurricane Rita washes over levee in New Orleans hard-hit 9th Ward, Army Corps of Engineers says.

11. KJ says:

Ron, I’m listening and hearing that. I’m as stunned as everyone else…. not that the 9th Ward is flooding, but that this disaster just continues.

I didn’t imagine this, no one did. My god. Talk about a worst-case scenario.

12. KJ says:

Ginny, hey! BTW, didn’t email you, but I’m not going to DC this weekend.

13. janet says:

You know, if there was notice of some sort of terrorist attack on Seattle and we had to evacuate???!!

There is no way. We have three main roads and no back ways because of water and mountains.

America, with our cars and no trains or metros, is a complete mess.

14. janet says:

And you want to know something else? There’s a plume on Mt. St. Helens this morning.

15. KJ says:

Janet… beyond bizarre. The feeling I have is similar to the one I had on September 11… surreal.

16. Update: I wanted to update everybody on what is going on right now. I will try to keep in touch, but in case of power loss, I will get back in touch at the earliest possible time. I do have to spend the night with my Grandma, who is freaking out.

Winds have picked up here, and we can expect at least tropical storm strenth winds from 39 to 73 and possible higher gust. Flooding in low lying areas is expected and already starting in the lowest areas. Occasional blast of winds are coming through.

I will have some pics. and video that will be exclusive to The Democratic Daily. I will have to wait till this is over, and make sure I have power, to send it to Pamela. I’m starting with video around my mobile home park, and will get more when I leave toward the city limits.

17. KJ says:

Tornado reported on the ground near Gonzales, LA.
    When are the locusts due?

18. KJ says:

Donnie, give Grandma a hug and tell her we’re pulling for you all.

19. KJ the locusts are already on the ground. Just in DC though. I won’t be able to stay at home for too much longer. I might have 2 to 3 hours at the most. But i’m not going to wait that long. It would not be wise to do so!!

20. Donnie

N.O. is flooding again. Where is Grandma? Be careful – damn it. I’m emailing you…

21. KJ says:

Yes, Donnie, where is Grandma? Watch getting on the roads, however, as you know, there are tornado sightings north of New Orleans.

22. I just emailed Pamela back. Grandma is safe at home. I have to leave shortly to head to her house. I left my phone # in the second email. I will be here for only the next two hours at the most. The only way I would be able to call, would be collect.

23. so much for the two hours, I have to leave. will get back in touch later.

24. KJ says:

Donnie, Godspeed. Stay in touch with Pamela, okay?

25. Indie Liberal says:

Be safe Donnie. ๐Ÿ™‚

26. Dave from Princeton says:

Take care of yourself Donnie and be careful! You, your family and friends will all be in our thoughts.

I finally checked out a map to see exactly where Houma was in LA. Yikes! It does not appear to be a location one would want to be in during a big hurricane. I didn’t realize just how close it was to the gulf…

27. Donnie McDaniel says:

I made it to my cousin’s house, which is not far from my grandmother’s house. I wanted to let you guys know that I am ok. About to leave to Grandma’s house in a few minutes. She is freaking out. Gonna stay the night there to make her feel better. I got some video on the way here, that is gonna freak ya’ll out. Will get back in touch when I can.

28. Donnie

That was quick… keep us posted. How strong are the winds?

29. Teresa says:

What a link we have in Donnie! A reality that resembles fantasy. I hope the people of this country recognize their plight

30. The worst has passed us now as far as the wind goes. I made it back home and we still have wind and rain, but not as bad as it was. I left real quick like I did, because we started to get reports of tornados. I knew it was only time before Grandma started to call and freak out. Lower Terrebonne parish is a lil trouble. Reports show that there is a 1,200 foot section of a levee at risk down there. If it goes, a lot of flooding will occur in the lower bayou sections. our local TV station has someone talking about marching on Washington if we don’t get proper levees. It’s getting deep now.