John Kerry has joined Senators Frank Lautenberg and John McCain’s effort to ensure that communities across the country have equal access to developing broadband internet technologies.

The Community Broadband Act, which Kerry is co-sponsoring, was introduced to ensure that municipal governments have the right to provide high-speed Internet service to their citizens. Many communities in the U.S. are underserved or have no service at all.

“We have to let cities and towns provide their own internet service, especially in rural areas or low-income areas that aren’t currently being served,” said Senator Kerry. “Hurricane Katrina reminds us how important it is to encourage and develop new communications systems in all our communities. One thing is very clear, and that is the desperate need to beef up our existing communications capabilities to keep every community in America connected and safe.”

“Not only is this bill good for our national security, it is also good for our nation’s long-term competitiveness and economic success,” Kerry added. “We need to have a communications system that promotes American innovation and our national and economic security, and this bill will help ensure this happens. I am happy to have joined Senators Lautenberg and McCain in this important effort.”

The Community Broadband Act of 2005:

– Ensures that no State prevents a municipality from offering high-speed internet access to its citizens if the municipality so chooses;

– Ensures that when a municipality is in the position of regulator or competitor, it does not abuse such authority. For example, the municipality could not enact a three percent franchise fee on itself, but a five percent franchise on a competitor; and

– Ensures that a municipality complies with the Telecommunications Act of 1996 and any other federal or state telecommunications laws.

33 Responses to John Kerry Joins Effort to Protect Communities’ Rights to Provide Broadband Services

1. Marjorie G says:

He’s everywhere. Does he sleep?

2. Marjorie

I don’t think he does. 😉

Have fun this weekend and be careful! We love you!

3. Marjorie G says:

Really love you back!

4. KJ says:

Peace to everyone going to the DC Peace March.

5. KJ says:

For standing up for John Kerry in a reasonable manner, I’ve been banned, yet again, at a blog I helped (originally) create.

It’s the least I could do for all John Kerry has done for my country. @;-)

6. KJ

It’s clear some folks will never get it.

Oh well… better things happening elsewhere! 😉

7. KJ says:

Fear and hate are encouraged– and so abound- in some places in blogosphere, while reason is denied.

It seems GWB isn’t the only person who needs a good recovery program. There are entire groups of people who do.

8. KJ

LOL! Just remember – it’s all an illussion.

9. Indie Liberal says:

I am sorry KJ.

Take care Marjorie. We’ll be watching. 🙂

10. KJ says:

Indie, I’m okay. I just don’t like the fact that someone who does as much good as Kerry can be blasted by our so-called “own.”

11. Indie Liberal

Thanks — you know why! 😉

12. Marjorie G says:

Dave and I will try to contribute when we return. A little after the fact, and other blogs, but we may find something to say, at least with photos.

Regardless of how we want to end this war, we must protest, and for all the other truly evil, craven things these people do.

I hope people come and prove the GOP spinmeisters wrong.

13. Marjorie

I think the numbers there tomorrow will be astounding. I can email my phone number if you and Dave want to call me with reports if you will have cell phones.

14. Marjorie G says:

Not good with on the spot reporting, and don’t have a digital. But send your cell just in case.

I’m a former professional photographer with exotic print equipment, which is no longer useful.

15. Marjorie G says:

KJ, just went to you know where, and big daddy Ira had a thing or two to say about behavior and big tent.

16. KJ says:

Marjorie, I forgot about you not having a digital… would have sent mine!
    Re: that other place, thank you. I think I kept my cool, but the things that were said to Pamela, and about JK, were absolutely beyond the pale, in my opinion.
    Good luck with the crowd that supports people saying “off with his (Kerry’s) head” this weekend. I am doubly sad to be missing you and Dave, but eternally glad to be missing the rest.
    Pamela reminds me, we are doing good work here, all of us. Positive and proactive. Not hate, but communication and connection. And talk about a big tent, look at how Donnie was received here, with open arms and hearts. I must remember how rare that is. Again, sorry about the camera, would have sent it. Haven’t used mine since the Convention!

17. Marjorie G says:

Tomorrow couldn’t be worse than the PDA Convention, their first and just after the inaugural. Loosely knit group of former Dean, Kucinich, and Greens, and not one positive word about Kerry. Not one.

What is happening over there? Rabid activism doesn’t have to mean rabid dog. Based in DC, it has wonderful opportunities to be at the heart of change, so let’s hope it can build on that and attract positive people.

I’ll take my print camera, and just share prints among us. I have a tacky automatic and cheap drug store film (camera supply store closed).

18. Teresa says:

Here goes Kerry’s vision again. He knows how important the Internet is going to be in politics.

I know how you feel about the frightened people who know nothing but hate and resentment when faced with fear of this magnitude. Hating Bush only goes so far. So they’ve had to keep the Kerry hate going too. They aren’t worth it. The best thing to do is refrain from reading their comments. You know what they all say and it’s a waste of time. It cuts back our own confidence. These people will be overpowered when the reality of our trouble strikes and we realize we will actually have to do something.

19. I don’t know if anyone has seen this post yet, but I left a message for those that go to DC.

20. Marjorie G says:

We’ll take your thoughts and words with us tomorrow.

Our best to you, also.

21. Thank you Marjorie. I really feel that will be a big thing.

22. Marjorie

I’ll email you and Dave my phone #. Re: big daddy I over there, poor big daddy I might be happier amongst the supporters over here.

Re: PDA, I have a good friend who is involved, and close friends with the founder. My friend sees no choice but JK for the future.

23. KJ says:

Marjorie, I don’t, and haven’t for months, known what is going on over there, or why the rapid dog faction took over so easily. All I know is several of the positive people left, when reason lost out over rant. Why I still think there is anything worth saying there has more to do with eternal optimism than reality. When a friend said we would all come together, I believed it. Now, I think that was his wishful thinking as well.

Teresa is right. We could write the script, it’s so predictable.

But my spirit tags along with you and Dave.

24. KJ says:

Donnie, what a beautiful post.

25. Attn: Pamela, I know you will want to get all over this one.

September 23. 2005 4:56PM

La. watchdogs: First FEMA cash tossed out with little accounting

The Associated Press

BATON ROUGE, La. – Irregular accounting, sloppy records and lack of oversight marked state and federal handling of Louisiana’s first $219 million in federal disaster relief money for Hurricane Katrina, three state watchdogs say.

State Treasurer John Kennedy, Legislative Auditor Steve J. Theriot and state Inspector General Sharon Robinson stopped short of calling it fraud. But each said the way the money was awarded Sept. 16 was so sloppy that fraud allegations may rise in the years that come.

26. Marjorie G says:

Went to three places to get a camera battery, to no avail. I’ll take it anyway, though doubt I’ll find one. Darn.

Radio Shack was out at two places, and a camera store had just closed. Dave, if there, it’s DL123A or CR123A.

27. Marjorie G says:

Okay, my password doesn’t work above. Maybe I don’t remember, but my usual is 6 letters.

28. KJ says:

Marjorie, as for pictures, all I care about is you take care of yourself and see just what you need to see.

In the meantime, some of us will be elsewhere, lighting candles, reading poems, listening to music and supporting peace in our communities.

To all of us who have kept the fires of non-violence burning… I say “thanks.”

29. Marjorie

I fixed the post… no passowrd needed.

30. Dave from Princeton says:

We got a late start but made it to DC by 11:30pm or so. Way too short on sleep this week and it’s already past 2am. I’m going to be in real bad shape tomorrow and so I should be even less coherent then usual…

Oh well… A least the Freepers and Protest Warriors are coming in to counter protest us anti-American, anti-troop, freedom haters. I just hope they can get a decent showing for a change so I can find some of them. I know my kid would probably get good laugh out of seeing them. I have to try to find a stick tomorrow so I can poke at them. BTW, does anyone know if you’re allowed to feed them? I guess they’ll put signs up so people will know if that is allowed. On the bright side, if I’m so tired tomorrow I make absolutely no sense at all and lose touch with reality, I guess then I’ll at least able to communicate with them in their native language. 🙂 I sure hope the “Moran guy” makes it to DC. Maybe he’ll even bring the sign to show off again.

Really wish a few more of you guys could have made it out for the DC festivities. 🙁 Marjorie and I will try to get you some decent pics and hopefully a few reports.

All of you will be there marching with us tomorrow.

ttyl guys!

31. Dave from Princeton

Tee hee… oh boy, is someone wound up and ready to go! I emailed you both phone number, stick it in your speed dial on your cell phone, if you got one! Get some sleep, be safe tomorrow… Our hearts are with you all and our spirits too! 🙂 … Donnie too, see his post above!

32. KJ says:

May the Force be with you, Dave and Marjorie!

33. Dave from Princeton, You have managed to bring a smile on my face, even with what is going on over here!! Give Those Jackasses hell Dave. Back that bully down.