Unite and Conquer

With the recent addition to The Democratic Daily of our drenched and unhappy Republican from Louisiana, Donnie McDaniel, I’ve gotten to thinking…

It’s possible, if not probable, that the Republican bosses are losing some of their base, and rightfully so. As former moderate, intelligent, sensible Republicans see merit in the Democratic Party, I think it is vital that we welcome them with open arms, and fight this administration’s attempt to divide and conquer.

I am concerned about the continuing hatred expressed toward our fellow conservative Americans in the blogosphere. I would like to stem this flow and encourage everyone to come together and discuss the future of our country.

This is a golden opportunity.

I am speaking up as much as possible in favor of this new alliance and I am inviting everyone to join me in this huge challenge in overcoming the bitterness and bringing this country back to health. Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

10 Responses to Unite and Conquer

1. KJ says:

Teresa, straight out of coherent thoughts at this moment, but welcome the challenge to communicate and connect. Bravo! Will be back!

2. Ron Chusid says:

I think this is a part of realignment which has been progressing over the last several years. During the Kerry campaign, we saw a large number of writers and business leaders back Kerry while they had typically backed Republicans in the past. It is taking longer for such changes in views to take hold in the average Republican voter. They will gradually realize that their previous ideas as to the differences between Democrats and Republicans are no longer relevant, and many will find that the Democrats currently support policies both closer to their own interests and more in tune with their long term beliefs.

3. Marjorie G says:

With many GOP still in denial over their party and still strong on party loyalty, as well as Democrats as unproductive with their time and squabbles, we must find agreement, support and strength where we can. Coming together is always the way to approach anything, but just call me older.

Democrats still continue to blame and rant against other Democrats over everything, without awareness or tolerance as the minority party. They want to selfishly moblilize and reinvent the party, often for their own self-interests. For starters, there is nothing wrong with our long-standing principles of inclusion, fairness, and basic safety nets. Believing in the Constitution has become another difference.

Compromise used to be considered a helpful road to solution, not always seen as compromised.

Excellent topic, Teresa, as KJ and I were just talking about the anti-war movement as still so much into blame, the vote, by the misinformed but well-meaning. Even our savior, Cindy, takes it to the point where our elected officials can’t come to our rallies or be booed. The anti-war have a role to push the dialogue, create awareness and energy, but people and movement leaders need to convey a bigger picture occasionally.

I, for one, have to be respectful of our red-leaning borough, over the same issues of anti-gay and abortion as the rest of the country, when we talk. We have many ethnic and immigrant communities new to Brooklyn which come here with those beliefs.

Let’s learn to live better with one another.

4. janet says:

I always separate in my mind the extreme right wing fundy neo-cons from the traditional Republicans like my in-laws were. They are both dead now but they would not fit in with that crowd at all.

5. Marjorie G says:

Janet, the northeast is the land of the wonderful, moderate GOP of yesterday year. Strong on environment, understood helping others while still fiscally conservative. Always a lot of common ground for law and conversation. Believed government had some purpose.

However, party loyalty is strong. May be memories with grandpa going to the polls. I always said Kerry should be that one crossover vote, if they could see clear to doing that. An unfrightening Dem, I’d call him.

6. Ginny in CO says:

You are so right on the northeast GOP. I think it was sometime last week on one of Nick’s posts I pointed out that New England and it’s independent thinkers were the original socially liberal, econmically conservative advocates.

One of the best examples is Jim Jeffords (I,VT), who is one of the all time great legislators.

I wonder if we tried to set up a Congressional Hall of Statesmanship, it would end up being meaningless. However, if the same rules applied as for the Halls of Fame and Lifetime Achievement Awards, the decision would be made after enough time elapses to establish solid evidence of the legislator’s effectiveness and bipartisan respect.

7. Teresa says:

Oh how I would love to see all of us diminish the party loyalty. It makes voters lazy, since they don’t even have to study up and get to know what the candidates stand for individually. If they even can take a stand individually. It would also lessen the sporting event atmosphere of just winning and losing.
    I know we have miles to go, but I’d like to get a start. I admit to a previous blanket prejudice against Repubs, but no more.

I am convinced that the radical elements in our government will be deleted soon and we will enter a phase of common sense , responsible governance.
    We, as the voters have to demand some more maturity from our candidates, and even some courage in time. The childish name calling is very very difficult to stop, but I no longer will engage in it, and I am feeling more and more the urge to criticize that behavior in others.

Kerry is unique in that he wins the admiration of Republicans even though he is so liberal in so many ways. His trustworthiness and his sheer skill are why I think he is our best bet for bridging the gap. He is hard to hate, although some of our hapless lefties can’t seem to stop. It’s best to ignore them and concentrate on Independents and moderates. Many Repubs would love to get rid of these cheesy moral issues and get back to economics and defense, the things they traditionally are concerned with.

8. Nick says:

Agreed with most of your points, but you’ll never have totally diminshed party loyalty. Just by having a D or R next to your name your all but guaranteed 40% of the presidential vote (barring a strong third party candidate or you run a truly dismal campaign or both). That isn’t always a bad thing. Even in the dark days of Reaganomics and GOP landslide, Dems (i.e. Mondale) were still able to muster 41% of the vote, leaving us 9% short of the total. Still, wouldn’t it be great if for once in some of the red states (in particular the rural MidWest) economics trumped culture and not the other way around as is usually the case?

9. Jerry B says:

A laudable goal. I doubt that you will get very far though.It all comes down to basic Psychology.The right in this country have been conned for years by the republican party.On some level I think some were aware of the con but wanted to be perceived as strong and the GOP certainly played into that desire. They use god and ole glory to convince people that they are the “right” party to lead America. What these folks are beginning to learn is that what they have been told the GOP stands for is just a deception used to secure power for themselves and those they really care about. Wealthy white people and major corporate interests. The problem stems from the fact that while human beings hate being conned, they hate admitting they were conned in the first place even more. Thats why we hear so many bizzare statements coming from Bush supporters. Just listen to Washington Journal on C-SPAN and you will hear numerous examples of that. Most will never be able to admit they were wrong about Bush and the Republican party. What worries me is the other side of that psychology. When forced to face their own inadequacies, humans usually resort to violent behavior. They would rather destroy the source of their embaressment than face up to it. So be careful, your dealing with people in denial who are capable of anything. Have a nice day.;)

10. Jerry B Says:
    September 27th, 2005 at 8:43 pm

Yup. You got that right! Been around enough and conversed with more than enough to know that. But you can have breakthoughs at times. Rare as they are…

Unfortunately, what it usually takes is for one to suffer badly, personally, and also to be able to correctly recognize the real cause and people causing it. Then their eyes finally open, they realize they’ve been played, and they ain’t happy at all. Some will just decide to get angry and just hate both sides but some will decide to do something about it and try to help make our country better.

I really wish most, along with my two best friends, could have their eyes opened in another way. However, after a certain point, for most(it’s human nature), it takes a real hard punch in the gut, then they blink and…