Harriet Miers

Mr. Bush has nominated Harriet Miers to fill Justice Sandra Day O’Connor’s Supreme Court seat. Here’s a few links, both from the Washington Post, to get started on the game of “peel the mask.”

Harriet E. Miers Profile and “Quiet But Ambitious White House Counsel Makes Life of Law” (The Post, June 21, 2005).

More from ABC: Who is Harriet Miers?

NBC‘s First Read says, “Too many unknowns?” and MSNBC‘s Tom Curry says, “Some conservatives not thrilled by Miers.”

Anyone who finds other information about her, please post, thanks.

25 Responses to Harriet Miers

1. janet says:

I’m like, “WHAT??” She has never been a judge. My 16 years as an attorney arbitrator make me more qualified than she is. Did Bush learn nothing from the FEMA fiasco?

Seriously, I don’t know her views on things but that is part of the problem–we have no judicial decisions of hers to review because she has never been a judge.

2. sandrakae says:

Hey Man she has never even been a judge. Is that even allowed. Antoher unqualified person. He needs to take a class called Hiring for Keeps. Also, look at the picture of him. I wonder how many cups of cofee he needed to get sober. He looks awful.

3. KJ says:

That was my first thought as well, “Another Brownie.” :-\

This is from The Note, so beware, also, they don’t cite a source:
    “While active in the ABA in late 1990’s Miers was a leader of the movement to get ABA to rescind it’s pro-choice positions and support for tax payer funded abortion for poor women. She was unsuccessful.”

If the above is fact, I expect to hear from NARAL soon.

4. Mass says:

Bush nominates his own lawyer to the SC. That by itself should raise questions.

Will she has to recuse herself each time somebody is going to sue the administration?

5. Marjorie G says:

This just came in my mailbox about Miers. We don’t know too much.

6. OH HELL NO!! i’m starting my research on this woman right now. Here is a start.

7. Well this is special. I noticed that the WaPo had described her as a “pioneer” using the quotations – does that mean she is Bush “Pioneer.”

8. KJ says:

Yes, we have a Cheney and a Brownie and “attorney client privilage” and no judicial experience… but plenty of Bush Loyalty.

Secrecy + Loyality = Bush’s pick. Stealth.
    (Notice the word ‘steal’ in stealth?)

Scuttlebut around the internets seems to point to some ‘winger angst with this pick, although a lot of good that will do.

9. KJ says:

I’ve been looking for a source for a complimentary quote that the Federalist Society’s Leonard Leo was supposed to have made about Miers attempting to get the ABA to rescind their position re: abortions, but I can’t find it.

10. Well this is special –

Reid had personally recommended that Bush consider Miers for nomination, according to several sources familiar with the president’s consultations with individual senators. Of equal importance as the White House maps its confirmation campaign is that the Nevada Democrat had warned Bush that the selection of any of several other contenders could trigger a bruising partisan struggle.

11. Mass says:

rawstory has Reid’s statement. Difficult to do milder. It let me wondering once again.

Setting stage, Democratic Senate leader praises Miers

Print This | Email This

The statement of Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) as released to RAW STORY.

“I like Harriet Miers. As White House Counsel, she has worked with me in a courteous and professional manner. I am also impressed with the fact that she was a trailblazer for women as managing partner of a major Dallas law firm and as the first woman president of the Texas Bar Association.

“In my view, the Supreme Court would benefit from the addition of a justice who has real experience as a practicing lawyer. The current justices have all been chosen from the lower federal courts. A nominee with relevant non-judicial experience would bring a different and useful perspective to the Court.

12. Finnegen says:

There’s a reason why cronies like Ms. Myers are appointed to confidential and personal staff positions to the President. They agree with him and will do everything possible to help enact his agenda. Despite what we’ve seen in the right wing media, folks like Rehnquist and now Myers like many other republican appointees with close ties the to an administration receive appointments because they are known supporters of the administration’s agenda and are willing to carry the White House’s water for them in the Court.

13. KJ Says:
    October 3rd, 2005 at 8:30 am

“Yes, we have a Cheney and a Brownie and “attorney client privilage” and no judicial experience… but plenty of Bush Loyalty”

Bingo KJ!! That “Attorney client Privlage” is what she will use as a weapon like Roberts did with the outright refusal to answer. She has an excuse to get around the answers and I’m sure she is gonna use it like a sword in battle. When it all comes down to it, she has no experience as a judge, she is from texas like all the rest of the cabal, she is part of the admin, she has no known paper trail yet, she is loyal to Bush, she is a woman, she can try the Attorney client privlage excuse, and being the deputy chief of staff for policy, she has had time to hone her truth altering skills. Yep, sounds like someone King George would pick.

14. NativeTexan4Kerry says:

I was a judge in a play. Does that make me more qualified than she?

15. sandrakae says:

yes it does.

16. I think it would Native, but you would have to be conservative. I don’t think it’s worth the trade though.

17. Harriet Miers received both her undergraduate and law degrees from Southern Methodist University if that is a sign. LOL I don’t see her backing abortion if she went to a methodist University.

18. NT4K

LOL! A judge for a horse show that was conservative would qualify under the Bush admin! Oops that was FEMA – no matter – all the same thing – CRONYISM!

19. LOL kinda hard to tell the diff. sometimes huh Pamela?

20. Nick says:

Pamela, Donnie, and Native

LOL, that is great. Come to think of it Native, in high school I understudied for 4 (count ’em) four people in the play Twelve Angry Men. Even filled in one night for juror #9 and made the judges speech to the jury at the beginning of the play another night. I was also raised by a lawyer. Mr. President, if another vacancy should open up on the SC, I want you to know I’m here I’m ready to serve, and judging by your standards, I am more than qualified. Hell, my godparents grew up in Houston and I even live closer to DC than John Roberts does. Doesn’t that also count for something?

21. Here, Here. The people have spoken!! We appoint Nick. We at least know his standings.

22. KJ says:

LOLOL Ah, the humor… 😉

Salon’s War Room has some unearthed trail of white paper with Mier’s name on it… http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/

Who is Mier? A cheerleader? A female, white Thomas?

23. Absolutely… Nick for SCJ! 😉

24. Of course they might be scared of someone that actually answers the questions with facts and figures. You might get blasted Nick!!

25. Nick says:

LOL. You got that right. Maybe I’ll be able to help finally expose the true lack of knowledge that exists in the GOP senate.