Filibuster Alito

Do I support a filibuster? The answer is yes.

Yesterday Senator Kennedy and I spoke with our colleagues about it. I don’t have a shred of doubt in my opposition to Sam Alto’s nomination. I know Senator Kennedy does not either. He has truly been a great leader in the effort to oppose Judge Alito.

I spent a lot of time over the last years thinking about the Supreme Court and who America needs on the highest court in the land. So I don’t hesitate a minute in saying that Sam Alito is not that person. His entire legal career shows that, if confirmed, he will take America backwards. People can say all they want that “elections have consequences.” Trust me, more than anyone I understand that. But that seems like an awfully convoluted rationale for me to stay silent about Judge Alito’s nomination.

I voted against Justice Roberts, I feel even more strongly about Judge Alito. Why? Rather than live up to the promise of “equal justice under the law,” he’s consistently made it harder for the most disadvantaged Americans to have their day in court. He routinely defers to excessive government power regardless of how extreme or egregious the government’s actions are. And, to this date, his only statement on record regarding a woman’s right to privacy is that she doesn’t have one.

I said yesterday that President Bush had the opportunity to nominate someone who would unite the country in a time of extreme division. He chose not to do this, and that is his right. But we have every right, in fact, we have a responsibility, to fight against a radical ideological shift on the Supreme Court. Just think about how this nomination came to be. Under fire from his conservative base for nominating Harriet Miers–a woman whose judicial philosophy they mercilessly attacked–President Bush broke to extreme right-wing demands.

This was a coup.

Miers was removed and Alito was installed to replace the swing vote on the Court. The President gave no thought to what the American people really wanted–or needed. So it’s up to us to think about what America really needs – that’s part of the true meaning of “advice and consent.”

Here’s the bottom line though and I’ll just be blunt and direct about it. It takes more than one or two people to filibuster. It’s not “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.” I’m doing what I can, Senator Kennedy is doing what he can, but if, like me, you want to stop Judge Alito from becoming Justice Alito, we can’t just preach to our own choir. We need even more of your advocacy.

136 Responses to Filibuster Alito

1. Wolfgang says:

> Lubos Motl
    > Do we have an imposter in our midst?

It is easy to distinguish.
    Luboš is the real one and Lubos has to be fake.
    Notice the š.

Another check would be to ask him about the difference of holonomy and homophilia.
    Only the real Prof. Motl knows the difference.

2. Nice try Lubos. Feel free to leave at any time!!

3. Donnie

I’m not sure why anyone felt compelled to impersonate Lubos, but it appears to be true, checking our logs.

4. Pamela, go to the websight link on his name.

5. Ron Chusid says:

Fake Lubos?

No problem. We’re used to fakes.

Afterall we have a President who was a fake member of the National Guard. Afterwards he became a fake businessman who repeatedly had to be bailed out by daddy’s friends. Then he became Governor of Texas–a position so weak that some consider it to be a fake Governor’s position.

Next he ran for President as a fake “compassionate conservative.” While in office he has been a fake fiscal conservative and a fake fighter against terrorism.

Compared to a fake like this, a fake Lubos is no problem.

Anyone who wants to see the real Lubos, along with verification that someone else was posting fake comments here, check out his post and both sets of comments at:

6. Busted!! Loosebos, take a hike jack!!

7. Ron

Seems like old times… LOL!

8. Ron Chusid says:

Pamela,

All we need is for Lala to drop by wearing his tin foil hat and taking his pills.

9. HAHAHA. I love it. time to get busy. Kerry has the freaks worried.

10. Teresa says:

The thing that puzzles me is why people like Wolfgang have such an aversion to people loving people and expressing gratitude.

11. Well that is simple my lady, Wolfgang wants to be loved. Sorry Gang, but no hugs from me.

12. Jeff McTiernan says:

Thank you Mr. Kerry for taking a stance on this as this is truly not only an American issue but a worldwide one. Being from Canada I have become accustomed to our freedoms and the fact that I can use free speech without the implications of being illegaly watched and spied upon.

Given the way that President Bush disregards domestic law and wants more executive power it leads me to believe that his policies will reach into friendly countries such as mine. It concerns me that if Samuel Alito is successfully appointed the next post on the supreme court that he will roll back international laws and find loopholes to circumvent and undermine the basic foundation of relations between countries with concern towards illegal spying and further.

You are a TRUE patriot not only for America but for humanity. You deserve the presidency because you possess the the affinity for politics as well as being a man for the people. Seeing the state of the world in it’s current state, that is the type of person we need. Make us proud!

13. Teresa says:

Thank you, Professor McDaniel.

14. LOL Teresa. Professor? HAHA..{{{Teresa}}}

15. lothario says:

When all is said and done with the Alito filibuster debate. Kerry will have learn clearly that the DC Dem establishment will never truely support him. They never have and never will. 2004 was already an I opener for JK as far as his colleagues are concern. Thi filibuster debate is like 2004 all over again by the weak support of the Democratic Party. The only people the DC Dem establishment care about is HILLARY and the DLC. I wonder if things would have been different if Hillary had call for a filibuster. The media is trashing Kerry because he puts Hillary in a tight spot and force to define herself. Hillary didn’t want to vote for the filibuster until her hand was forced by her constituency and she remembered liberal activists in Iowa and New Hampshire. Clinton’s office was actually undermining Kerry by telling callers the filibuster is not going to happen yesterday. I love the fact Kerry is taking a stand and telling the DC establishment screw you. This is why I feel and believe Kerry will go outside- the- beltway for guidance if he decide to run in 08. JK I’m sure know like the rest of us that DC insiders are last people to rely on.

Dante

16. KJ says:

Fake Locos… LOL
    (sorry, couldn’t resist the bad rhyme)

Donnie, haven’t forgotten your world, or your Grandma. I know I would love her to death. {{{Donnie’s Grandma}}}

Also, what Teresa said above. Fear of loving, fear of showing the face of our souls, are just the fears of children. After all, cynicism offers protection for easily broken egos.

And why wouldn’t cynicism abound with Faux News and, as Ron noted above, a Faux President, tearing our Constitution to shreds?

17. KJ says:

# BlueWashington Says:
    January 26th, 2006 at 11:39 pm

I’ve gotten mailings from your Maria Cantwell, I hope she gets her shot. Here in Red Missouri, we Blues are pulling for Claire McCaskill.

18. BlueWashington says:

Hi KJ,

I see Maria gets around. That’s okay – to go around, one has to get around. In fact, HRC was in Seattle today fundraising for Maria; that’s how the world turns, unfortunately. How’s Claire McCaskill holding up out there your way?

19. Andy Witmyer says:

Once again… it’s John Kerry reporting for duty.

We’ve got your back.

20. Teresa says:

“After all, cynicism offers protection for easily broken egos.”

That made me think kj. Very well put.

I think that is one of the reasons JK terrifies EVERYONE so much. The bloggers, the press, the administration and other politicians. He exposes their immaturity, lack of courage, their smallnes and pettines, their spoiled brattines, and inability to face the truth.

The more I watch this the more amazed I am by this man. I pledge to do my best. That’s what they are afraid of. To be their best.

When he becomes President, people will automatically step in behind him and improve. They’re putting off the inevitable preferring to continue the childish games with this administration rather than face the real terror of John Kerry and themselves.

More power to him, if that’s possible.

21. Teresa says:

Left out some S’s there. Here they are…sssssssssssss.

22. Wolfgang says:

> rather than face the real terror of John Kerry

What an amazing statement …

23. Joanne Swords says:

Senator Kerry,
    Good luck. The dems need to STAND UP and FIGHT!!!! We out here are and HAVE BEEN waiting. I say Filibuster, Filibuster, Filibuster!!!!!!

24. KJ says:

Blue Washington, am embarrassed to say I’m sort of out of the loop right now on McCaskill (because of the upcoming move and etc). We hope to land back in an area we lived in before and if so, I’ll reconnect with a group there and lend a hand. Scuttlebutt is though, Talent’s people know they have a fight on their hands. And we are hoping, as you are, that JK comes to Missouri to lend his hand and presence.

Wolfgang, in case you didn’t realize it, its been game, set and match. See ya later.

25. KJ says:

What Teresa said. 😉

26. David Owen says:

Thankyou John Kerry.

This fight is not over , hit those phones faxes and emails.

A lo of Senators are now reconsidering there position

27. David Owen

Welcome to the Dem Daily! The fight is NOT over.

28. Susan Stori says:

Thank you Senator Kerry. No matter what happens with this, it is very significant that you did what you said you would. Those of us who supported you in 04 take heart…..

29. Susan Stori

“It is very significant”… yes it is.

30. Teresa says:

Just a word on the five years of the terror regime. If we’ve learned anything from this, it’s something about the power of misplaced fear. I am praying that the public has developed a modicum of immunity to this manipulation as we’ll see this election cycle. I will always hope.

John Kerry invited slings and arrows if need be because he knows how frightned people are and don’t know how to pinpoint it. We can learn so much from this. It’s people’s projection and eventually it weakens or finds another target.

One important thing I think we Kerry supporters can do is stop fearing the insults that are hurled at him. Have faith. Sometimes the whining sounds like them. He challenges beliefs and and this is one source of their terror having constructed elaborate defenses based on lies. This is a depressed society addicted to drugs and the people are reluctant to give up their feelings of despair and futility with the excess weight and lethargy, even though we were once known as a highly optimistic country. I think the trait is still there. JK challenges this factor. Maybe people are ashamed of themselves and this is why we have such a phenomenally embarrassing president. Every day with him is painful. I hope this will be enough for awhile. He’ll be gone soon.

We can learn to let these things in and out, let them pass through without taking them personally. Then we can put precious life force into combatting the terror with confidence and real security. We should be ready when we are called.

People really want what John Kerry represents, but maybe they don’t feel worthy. Give them time and understanding.

31. Chat Sue says:

John Kerry is showing the courage and conviction that is so missing in his party’s majority in the Senate, including some of the Presidential hopefuls. He may look like Don Quixote tlting at windmills, but as a lifelong moderate Democrat from the deep South, I admire his action, regardless of how his colleagues feel.

He represents what so many of us want-someone who will not give up fighting the cynical approach of the Bush brain-trust, ie, its all inevitable, so why fight it? After all, they won, and we lost!

If John Kerry keeps this up, I will be among hte first to sign up down here for his campaign for 2008! The heck with the rest of the wannabees who watch helpless from the sidelines, or who are trying to be Bush light in their inaction on this important political battle!

chat Sue
    Penscola, Fl

32. Zunilda Figueroa says:

Honorable Senator Kerry. Thank you, once again for bringing Dignity and Pride to us. We are ecstatic, happy, and I for one, can not stop smiling.

Thank you!!!!!!!!

33. Guignard says:

You have to tell the truth to the world : Alito is inspired by a NAZI : Carl Schmitt

If there is a bombing of IRAN triggering a wave of terrorism worldwide, we all know that CHENEY will take dictatorial power and Alito is going to write the legal argument to justify it. This is the same situation as 1933 in Germany.

Good luck from Paris, France

34. Dorothy Clare Tessman says:

Senator Kerry,
    Thank you for supporting the viewpoint of so many Americans who are not irate zealots, but simply believe in the principles of liberty and justice for all.
    It is, perhaps, to our discredit that we are not more irate and outspoken; this detracts from our voice as a country. I do thank you for speaking out for us in that way, regardless of the outcome.
    I have to believe the leadership of our nation will eventually return to the values I care about, and your efforts, despite short-term setbacks, will bring that about.

35. Pingback: Democratic Convention Party Political Local Advertising Presidential Campaigns » Blog Archive » John Kerry or Ed O’Reilly — John Kerry Has My Vote

36. Pingback: Democratic Convention Party Political Local Advertising Presidential Campaigns » Blog Archive » John Kerry or Ed O’Reilly — John Kerry Has My Vote