Filibuster Alito

Do I support a filibuster? The answer is yes.

Yesterday Senator Kennedy and I spoke with our colleagues about it. I don’t have a shred of doubt in my opposition to Sam Alto’s nomination. I know Senator Kennedy does not either. He has truly been a great leader in the effort to oppose Judge Alito.

I spent a lot of time over the last years thinking about the Supreme Court and who America needs on the highest court in the land. So I don’t hesitate a minute in saying that Sam Alito is not that person. His entire legal career shows that, if confirmed, he will take America backwards. People can say all they want that “elections have consequences.” Trust me, more than anyone I understand that. But that seems like an awfully convoluted rationale for me to stay silent about Judge Alito’s nomination.

I voted against Justice Roberts, I feel even more strongly about Judge Alito. Why? Rather than live up to the promise of “equal justice under the law,” he’s consistently made it harder for the most disadvantaged Americans to have their day in court. He routinely defers to excessive government power regardless of how extreme or egregious the government’s actions are. And, to this date, his only statement on record regarding a woman’s right to privacy is that she doesn’t have one.

I said yesterday that President Bush had the opportunity to nominate someone who would unite the country in a time of extreme division. He chose not to do this, and that is his right. But we have every right, in fact, we have a responsibility, to fight against a radical ideological shift on the Supreme Court. Just think about how this nomination came to be. Under fire from his conservative base for nominating Harriet Miers–a woman whose judicial philosophy they mercilessly attacked–President Bush broke to extreme right-wing demands.

This was a coup.

Miers was removed and Alito was installed to replace the swing vote on the Court. The President gave no thought to what the American people really wanted–or needed. So it’s up to us to think about what America really needs – that’s part of the true meaning of “advice and consent.”

Here’s the bottom line though and I’ll just be blunt and direct about it. It takes more than one or two people to filibuster. It’s not “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.” I’m doing what I can, Senator Kennedy is doing what he can, but if, like me, you want to stop Judge Alito from becoming Justice Alito, we can’t just preach to our own choir. We need even more of your advocacy.

136 Responses to Filibuster Alito

1. Meowomon says:

Yay!!! Let’s keep up the momentum and throw the bums out! We’ve got to get back to the traditional American values of freedom, truth and human rights.

2. Marjorie G

Well said, as always. This is the essential Kerry, isn’t it…

3. Kathryn says:

Thank you Senator Kerry for offering a glimmer of hope that we will be able to save the beautiful America I’ve loved for 50 years. For all of you Democratic senators who are not willing to support Senator Kerry & Edwards efforts to stop this fascist takeover, you will face our wrath at the ballot box. We have had our fill and expect you to represent OUR interests, NOT the Republican party’s.

4. Teresa says:

I have never underestimated your power John Kerry.

5. Teresa, isn’t this great!!

6. Teresa, isn’t this great? To hear from JK and you in the same day. I am blessed!

7. Ooops!! trying to do this from a laptop with my big fingers lol. Sorry about the double talk.

8. Kathryn

Kerry and Kennedy.

9. BlueWashington says:

Thanks for all you efforts Senator Kerry. I’ve already signed you petition. Alito has no business being on the bench. Alito gives way too much deference to the president and big business.

As you may have guessed, I’m from the Great State of Washington. From my own prespective (such as it is) on politics here, your collegue Maria Cantwell will do fine in the November elections. Still, perhaps you could come out and campaign for her? Just a thought.

Thanks again for all you do.

10. Blue Washington

Plugging for a JK visit… 😉

He needs to come to CA too – we need to get rid of Arhnold!

11. Teresa says:

{{{{{Donnie}}}}}

{{{{{John Kerry}}}}}}

{{{{{Democratic Daily}}}}}

{{{{{All of us}}}}}}

We must not be afraid. Good things will come. When all the chatter subsides and the games stop, if just for an infinitesimal moment, the truth will be laid bare. We all sense it, but can’t help ourselves. I still believe there is justice.

12. RN923 says:

Senator Kerry

Just when I thought all might be lost in the fight against Alito, I find that you & Senator Kennedy are offering us all a glimmer of hope.

May you both be successful in your endeavors. I am very proud of both of you!

Thank you!

13. Mikey says:

Senator Kerry,

Sir, I am from New Zealand and we have been watching, from afar, the effects of the Foreign Policy (such as it is) of the current administration. As appalling as this is, with the damage being done to Iraqis and many others, we can only marvel at the damage being done to your own homeland.

The rights of minority groups and women, not to mention your own Constitution, are seriously in danger of being neutralized by the Bush administration.

This can only be bad (and anathema) to the rest of the free world, who now view the USA with suspicion amd hostility as personal freedoms are slowly and surely whittled away locally – policy this administration is doing their best to export (“you are with us or against us”).

I ask you, Sir, to view the Alito nomination as beyond an issue for the USA, but one that has global implications. As it surely does.

Respectfully,

Mike Dean (father of 5, Wellington, New Zealand)

14. Ginny in CO says:

Senator Kerry,

Thank you for all you have done to try to get us out of this nightmare. For taking all the slime and shtuff thrown at you and not losing your dignity. Your strength and commitment are awesome.

I hope you realize how much hope you give many of us who have been seeing this slippery slope for decades and felt powerless. Now there is someone who is not afraid to seize the moment and take the right path.

Win or lose, I will support all your efforts on our behalf.
    We all face a difficult road to recover this country, and I am fully convinced we can do it with the right leadership. You make me think of my favorite Lincoln quote:

“We, even we here, hold the power, and bear the responsibilty”

Together, we can do it. Thanks again for gettin us started,
    and take care of yourself 🙂

15. MH says:

Senator Kerry,

Thank you so much for leading this fight. It is important to stand up for what’s right even when the odds are long. Thank you for being our knight!

16. AnnieG says:

Thank you thank you THANK YOU Sen Kerry and Sen Kenneday too! I just called both of my senators (NY) and asked them to do EVERYTHING THEY CAN to support this filibuster.

Since Alito doesn’t believe in checks and balances, why should anyone even consider him for a Supreme Court position? =nightmare=.

To our leaders from Massachusetts, I wish much energy… I wish I could make ginger tea for you myself as you got to such lengths to speak up for democracy!

17. johnny james says:

fight for us,block this nomination!!!

18. BlueWashington says:

Pamela,

Yeah – asking if the Senator Kerry would come out to campaign for Cantwell might be the icing on the cake for her. Washington is a “Lite Blue” state. The Senator was out here last May helping our governor with our recount. (I saw you there in Seattle, Senator, good rally) Hmmm… say, perhaps you are right he could help you with your governor problem there in CA. Every little bit helps.

Thanks for all your work Senator Kerry.

19. YaYa Love says:

To Senator Kerry and Kennedy….
    Simply Thank you!
    To be in the game…you have to “step onto the court”…win or loose at least you have engaged in the journey and we are very grateful.

It seems to me most of the Senate Representatives don’t wan’t to “step onto the court” unless they are sure they will win…this is dissapointing.

As of today I have cancelled my contributions to the Democratic Party and I have already signed up to contribute those funds to you on your website…

You seem to be the only ones willing to “step into the court”…and stand up for the American People…

We are behind you!

20. Wolfgang says:

How many commenters on this board are paid to write those “thank you, you are so great” comments? Or did somebody turn a chatbot on?

I am just curious …

21. KJ says:

The light is returning, another spring is around the corner. @;-)

My thanks to you, Senator Kerry.

22. beachmom says:

I’ll tell you how many, Wolfgang. ZERO!! We’re not Bushbots. We support John Kerry because we watch him every day and know about the many actions he takes. 70 comments is only the tip of the iceberg of Kerry supporters across the country. And he also wrote the post, so we’re talking to him, you know. What do you expect us to say, especially when he’s done something so brave?

23. Luboš Motl says:

I apologise for my joke comment (number 35 above). I am really just a confused PhD ‘string theorist’ (living in the unreal world of extra dimensions and fantasying about unobservable gravitons).

Senator Kerry, I hope for the sake of America – and I sincerely think – you will win.

24. KJ says:

ps. Wolfgang, trust me, no one’s receiving any money for anything at this site. This is a small, quality website that serves as a foundation for people of good will, from all sides, to come and discuss, without ranting, the events that effect us all.

The positive, forward-looking nature of the posters here is something that didn’t come together by accident, it has been fostered, and it is something to be proud of. Civility, honesty, and integrity.

To have Senator Kerry post at The Democratic Daily is a joy to those of us who have worked long and hard for him for many years. The people here have had his back, on the internet and on the ground, without notice, without fanfare, and most assuredly, without any money changing hands.

25. KJ says:

Luboš Motl, my husband also has his doctorate in physics. He has recently been pulled out of his world (where he was happy with his research and teaching), into the new Bush Dimension, where a benign physic professor, speaking to group of students (and their parents) can have their contracts cancelled if they advise the audience to question authority.

This is some parallel reality we’re living in these days.

26. vanillabean says:

Thank you Kerry.
    As a Massachussetts born resident of Indiana, I’m very proud of our state and your attempt to bring some balance back to our poor injured and divided country.
    You had my vote, we have your back. Thank you for trying to do what is right.
    Sincerely

27. pixote says:

Thank you.

28. “We need even more of your advocacy.” is NOT enough.

You are in a leadership position which holds great power.

PLEASE provide more detail regarding what can/should be done – advocate and/or organize something specific and effective that will enlist support of the filibuster and ensure its success.

Continuing a ‘general’ opposition is not going to be enough to prevent the confirmation of Alito.

29. Lena David says:

Thank you Sen. Kerry and Sen. Kennedy for standing up for American citizens and what is right. I also have been emailing and signing petitions constantly.

30. Lena David says:

If you have not already signed this DO IT NOW:

Let’s get ONE MILLION SIGNATURES and show John just how much support he has!

31. Wolfgang says:

> We’re not Bushbots. We support John Kerry because we watch him every day and know about the many actions he takes.

Well, I begin to understand how difficult it must be for a US politician to make reasonable decisions, surrounded by all these yes-men and -women.

Have a good day …

32. Ron Chusid says:

Wolfgang,

We suppot Kerry due to common principles and goals.

That differs from the Bush supporters who blindly support him despite violating traditional Republican principles and regardless of how much harm he causes to the country.

33. Bruce Headrick says:

Now it looks like the Filibuster is a flop. What a disgrace that we have so many chicken shit Democratic Senators. What a small price to pay to save our Democracy.

34. Ginny in CO says:

Wolfgang,

To reinforce Ron’s comment, there are two sides to anything.
    The two faces of support are:

Blind and mind closed.

Eyes and mind wide open.

We believe the democratic process requires support for those who are doing a good job; they don’t get paid enough and being a citizen participating in a democracy is an unpaid responsibility.

And we truly are very, very grateful to Kerry and Kennedy for their leadership. It’s nice to be able to say it.

35. Dotti J says:

Senator Kerry

Keep Going …. You are a brave fighter, and you have taught me much about determination, courage, and strength. I have a small sign here under your photo which simply says: “A Champion always manages to Smile.” Keep smiling …. We’ve got your back for sure. My prayers are with you on a daily basis.

36. Wolfgang says:

> Now it looks like the Filibuster is a flop.
    Well, it was almost clear from the beginning that it would not have have enough votes.
    Sen. Kerry certainly knows better than you or me to count those votes and thus I have to conclude that this is just an attempt to gather some attention; Probably in preparation for 2008.

37. Josh Brown says:

Dear Mr President,

all of us working, honest, and ordinary people support your brave defense of democracy, human rights, high taxes, social welfare, homosexual contacts, abortions, and your struggle against the reactionary imperialists such as Alito, Bush, and Wolfgang.

Here in South Dakota, we have built a new Kerry statue. If you tell us the address of the asocial conservative Wolfgang, we will give him a proper thrashing.

Sincerely Yours
    Working Gay People from South Dakota

38. Wolfgang,

Your childish behavior is what can be expected from a closed minded person such as yourself. Sorry to break the news to you, but your pranks won’t work here. If you don’t like the discussion, feel free to leave.

39. KJ says:

Wolfgang, oh my gosh, the politcal astuteness of your post at 11:06 am has thrown me into a proper tizzy. 2008! Who would have thought of that?!

Tell me, Senator Kerry, is it true? Are you actually LOOKING AHEAD TO THE FUTURE OF THIS COUNTRY?!!

Because, if you are, why, I just might have to support you all over again.

What a concept. Looking ahead, looking ahead to the status and reputation of the US, not only among its own citizens, but abroad. Looking ahead to the days when the Constitution will not be used as nothing but flypaper for the Bush misAdministration.

Looking ahead to the day when all citizens of this country, regardless of race, creed, color or sexual orientation are treated alike by our laws.

Looking ahead… wow. If Wolfgang is correct, I’m sold on John Kerry all over again!

Looking ahead… oh my gosh

40. KJ says:

*smack head*

looking ahead… what else might happen if John Kerry is President of the United States of America?

Energy independence? Top-quality schools and students? Productive jobs for healthy, “We have medical insurance!” American citizens? A military that is taken care of, and not deployed, killed and maimed in wars based on lies on greed?

I’m all aflutter at what else could be possible if John Kerry looks ahead.

Thank you, Wolfgang, for your insight. I don’t know what I would have done today without it.

41. KJ says:

Hey, Donnie, you Katrinacat you. How are things in your parish? And Grandma?

42. Hey KJ, Things are starting to get back to normal here. The amount of storm debris is staggering to see. I had to go to New Orleans on monday, and I got to see some of the damage. It really hurt to see and I didn’t even get to go and see the worst of it. Blue tarps everywhere you look.

Grandma is doing fine. just don’t mention Bush in front of her. 😉 WOW!! talk about rabid when it comes to the mention of the Draftdodger-In-Chief. You would love her to death if you ever meet her.

43. Luboš Motl says:

I come from the Czech Republic, growing up under communish where there was no liberty. This is why I feared left wing politics, because I did not know – in my pathetic ignorance – of Bush’s fascist risks to democracy. To me back then, Vietnam was America’s pride, an effort to stand up against communist dictatorship.

But slowly the truth dawns in my brain. Just as string theory is a confidence trick which squanders tax-payers money and makes no testable scientific predictions, so my political views are a confidence trick too.

Senator John Kerry should be President now. He was in Vietnam. He has the experience that George W. Bush lacks. I am ashamed of myself, and my friends are feeling ashamed of themselves too for supporting Bush. But we live and we learn.

44. Luboš Motl Says:
    January 27th, 2006 at 12:10 pm

I know that feeling. I had to have Katrina to blow off the rest of the blinders. My state got destroyed, and I had to watch Bush and his gang of pirates just sit and ignore it. I too am ashamed.

45. Ron Chusid says:

Luboš,

“I come from the Czech Republic, growing up under communish where there was no liberty. This is why I feared left wing politics,”

You definately have to be cautious in translating vague labelsl ike left and right from one country to another. You also need to be careful in listening to conservative rhetoric.

Conservatives talk about freedom but are the ones who support a government which is more intrusive in individual’s lives. Conservatives talk about small government, but it has been under Republicans like Reagan and Bush that we have had the largest increases in government in recent years. Conservatives talk about capitalism, but they actually support corporate welfare to use the government to transfer wealth to large corporations while harming those of us who own small businesses.

46. Lubos Motl says:

Let me just mention that the only two comments written by me are the number 35 and this one.

47. Lubos Motl

Do we have an imposter in our midst?

48. Josh Brown Says: January 27th, 2006 at 11:10 am

“Dear Mr President,

Here in South Dakota, we have built a new Kerry statue.”

Josh –

You get my vote for the comment of the day!