Karl Rove is not the only government employee getting paid to help the GOP keep control of the House and Senate.
Time Magazine reports that new WH Chief of Staff Joshua Bolten has developed a five point plan to reverse Bush’s falling popularity and keep his legacy from becoming “investigations and fights over Executive privilege” with newly empowered Democrats. (As opposed to “The Worst President in History?“) The frequent references to the time remaining in the 43rd presidency have an intriguing association to the movie “Anne of a 1000 Days”. Anne being one wife of King Henry VIII who died, or was killed, 1000 days after she became his wife. (If memory serves, she was the mother of Queen Elizabeth I, and Henry wanted a male heir ).
I digress. The Bolten White House Staff revision, the fourth since 1/05 according to Time and so far only a game of musical chairs, is only just begun. However the potential GOP losses in November have put pressure on Bolten to move quickly on staff changes so a six months campaign to change the public opinion of this presidency can get out of the gate. Already in his new position, Karl Rove will give up the minutiae of the deputy chief of staff position (ie. spending “hours editing memos written for the President by specialists on everything from levees to student test scores.”) to Joel Kaplan, former Marine and Supreme court clerk. He’s a 36 year old newlywed, maybe he will cut the editing time down so W actually gets some usable information.
Fortunately for us, friends and colleagues of Bolten’s leaked his five point “recovery plan” to TIME.
1) “Deploy Guns and Badges”. For his base worried about the illegals crossing the border, Bush will get $ for more enforcement. Mexico, not Canada. The Photo – ops will be of W meeting with the new Border Patrol agents who have badges, guns and ride around on ATVs. Bush would even go riding on an ATV. Maybe he will fall off, or look like Michael Dukakis in the tank. (No offense to the Govenor, I’ve never met any guy who would pass up a ride in a hi tech army tank. I sure wouldn’t.)
2) “Make Wall Street Happy” Somehow I can’t picture them happy. They don’t always look as grumpy as (Bronco Coach) Mike Shanahan, but I don’t remember seeing them smile either. This transformation will be achieved by getting the legislature extending tax rate cuts for stock dividends and capital gains passed. Here the photo ops will be on financial TV shows when the happy Wall Street guests tell Republican investors how great the economy is.
Can we get them to talk about how this will offset the $150,000 Federal debt every child now owes?
3) “Brag more” This includes every thing from the Medicare drug bill, the stock market, stable inflation and interest rates, plus anything good that comes out of Iraq. It will not include health care, the rebuilding of NOLA, gas prices or the civil war in Iraq. I think it should also include “pray more”. That the housing market doesn’t tank and the cost of everything that uses oil and gas doesn’t go up as fast as the pump prices.
4) “Reclaim Security Credibility.” Acknowledging this is the risky part, the plan is to use Iran’s nuclear program as Bush’s salvation from the Iraq fiasco. “a Republican frequently consulted by the White House has said “”In the face of the Iranian menace, the Democrats will lose.” Wow, don’t send this guy the LA Times/Bloomberg poll or Friedman’s OP-Ed. If the generals and intelligence officers stop coming out of retirement to speak up on this, can we try the ’64 Johnson ad?
5) “Court the Press.” Starting with hiring Tony Snow of Faux News as the new WH press secretary. He is considered an ‘outsider’ and a fun guy. I’m not sure how much the press is in a mood to be courted. They’ve been married to Bush for 5 years and lately it’s shown signs of breaking up. If they do cave in, I’m betting on a short honeymoon. Especially if we through a lot of rice paper at the press – LTEs, reminders of how they failed in the Iraq questions…
Oh, the staff is going to “work more astutely with journalists”. as-tute, adj.: shrewd, clever, cunning. Same song, different verse?
I personally like the “investigations and fights over Executive privilege” with newly empowered Democrats, option.
Since we have been handed the plan, thanks to friends and TIME, let’s get the obstacles up before Josh has the rest of the staff in their chairs. Start the music.