Punching Bag or Punching Back?

Cross Posted From Article of Faith:

This NYT Political Memo made me laugh this morning “Flubbed Joke Makes Kerry Punching Bag.”

“He’s back. Senator John Kerry had been carefully and quietly building himself back up after his failed 2004 presidential run, campaigning for Democratic candidates in places where he could forget about his sometimes strained relationships with his peers back in Washington. But with a single word – or a single word left out of what was supposed to be a laugh line directed at the president – Mr. Kerry has become a punching bag again, for Republicans and for his own party.”

And that’s the real kicker: “Democrats came out strongly against him…Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York called Mr. Kerry’s remarks inappropriate.”

Ain’t that a shocker? From the woman who has never stood for anything, suddenly, smelling blood in the water over a rival ’08 candidate, Hillary hikes up her skirt and pounces.

What kahunas. As I wrote yesterday, some of the more namby pamby, spineless, gutless Democrats, afraid to fight, cowed by the past several elections, reacted in the way Democrats normally react, “agreeing with the president”, calling on Kerry to cut and run, running themselves in fear of a scrap with the big bad Republicans. Too bad. That’s exactly why America won’t vote for you, Democrats, if, in the face of a fight, you run and hide and obfuscate and cower.

Meanwhile, John McCain’s turning on his old friend was also shameful, but what clearly rattled the punditocracy was that rather than lie down and take it, Kerry “punched back, only harder.” At the end of the day, most of this faux “outrage” over Kerry has zero to do with what he actually said, nothing to do with next Tuesday, and everything to do with ’08.

Circle the wagons, folks. While Kerry did the honorable thing and disappears from radar screens for the next few days (so as not to impede the Democratic tsunami heading towards Washington), he’ll be back, and so will we.

30 Responses to Punching Bag or Punching Back?

1. Nick says:

GO PAMELA-and all you other strong-willed Dems in the blogosphere.

Now this is a pick-me-up going into 2008. Hell I can here Bruce SPringsteen singing “come on rise up” from his 2002 song “City of Ruins” in the background now.

As for Hillary, Kerry’s put-down of Bush was not inappropriate-YOU MA’AM ARE INAPPROPRIATE

2. Nick says:

Oops

Sorry Todd, I thought Pamela wrote this post. My fault for not checking the author name.

That said, I stand by my statements about strong-willed bloggers (including yourself) and also about Hillary.

3. Nick

I think most of us are of like mind around here!

4. Dotti Janiak says:

Nick

Although I’m not a blogger, I am a Kerry and Dem Daily suporter big time. I love that: “come on rise up” and that we will –higher and higher as the need arises!!! Thanks for sharing that BS message – I was ready for a boost today.

5. Javelin says:

I cannot express in just a few words my OUTRAGE at my OWN party right now. This is why:

1) Repubs who were “offended” would never give this great man a vote anyways, so even though we should be appalled, it’s to be expected, and I’m not too concerned with thier thoughts anyways.

2)Some Dems like Hillary coming out to skewer a possible competitor is appaling as well, but as above, to be expected. Someone oughtta remind her that her husband’s behavior in office DEFINITELY lost a whole slew of elections for the Dems, yet we stuck behind him and even revere him to some degree today. I have respect for both Clintons and what they have done, but in all seriousness IMHO John Kerry is twice the person either one of them will ever be. Thank you Hillary for chopping him down to your level for your own gain.

3) I have to precurser my next comment. I have been painstakingly following JK on a DAILY basis for about 8 months via the internet, MSM, and personal appearances that I’ve attended. During the last 6 months the Senator has been literally busting his ass to support every Dem candidate or cause he could get to. Every weekend, and every weekday when the Senate was out of session he was helping others. Spending his own money for he and his staff to travel, spending 40-50 hours per week of his time in addition to all his responsibilities. In doing so he endorsed hundreds of candidates, raised millions of dollars for these candidates, and STILL contributed more $$ from his own political campaign fund to the DNC, etc.

Bottom line is this: Not only has nobody done as much for the party this last year, noone can even hold a candle to it……not Obama, not McCaskill, and certainly not Hillary. Why is it that these people have the nerve to publically label him a huge liability to a pending victory when in reality he was a major part of WHY we are in the position for a victory??!!??

But, as I have said, this precurses what is my REAL RAGE at this moment……some of these people who recently recieved the benifits of the money, time, and legitimacy from Kerry personally sticking his neck out for them have back-bitten him IMHO. I want to call all the Claire McCaskills, Barack Obama’s etc. and tell them that THEY are the ones who have really tried to crucify John Kerry. They could have jumped up like the honorable John Murtha, Max Cleland, or Sherrod Brown (all people who have recipricated Kerry’s kindness to their campaigns). They could have even simply sat back and said nothing, at least publically. But these people went out of their way to demean someone who had helped give them the resources to be in the position they are now in today. The Dems (in all truthfullness) have maximized the press about things like FoleyGate for political gain (that’s just politics), so I actually have to say that the Republicans are just taking advantage of this as the parties will do.

Condemn me, I deserve it, but I actually have less respect for those FROM WITHIN who have decided to be the “Judas” who will sell out thier own.

While they are still listening (because they haven’t won their election just yet) we ALL owe it to the Senator to call each of their campaigns and tell these Candidates that we are extremely remorseful of supporting them through John Kerry only to see them try to completely destroy thier benifactor’s character.

If I’m seeing this wrong, someone from the Kerry camp can contact me and explain that I’m off-base……but honestly, I’ve looked at this hundreds of times over the last two days and that’s the way I see it.

Jav

6. Javelin says:

***** CORRECTION ***************

In my rage, I made an error:

I want to call all the Claire McCaskills, HAROLD FORD’S (**not Obama**) etc. and tell them that THEY are the ones who have really tried to crucify John Kerry.

7. Finnegen says:

So much for the great urban myth of the liberal biased media:

What really amazes me, well after six year maybe it should not, is how the media did such a great job faciliating the GOP’s demagoguery. Yes demagoguery that all this was, is, and ever shall be. Whether its attacking those who disagree or point out the need to correct obvious problems in this administration’s very flawed policies, the media again shows it has no compunction in carrying the White House’s Attack Machine’s water against those who speak up or botch a joke.

But the rightwing likes of : Rush Limbaugh? still on the air after his mocking of, and insincere then retracted apology to Michael J. Fox, oh and the drug abuse too. Ann Coulter? Still has her book deal, column and media appearances after her plagiarism and vulgar attacks on the 9-11 widows. Secretary Rumsfeld? He can knock the troops with; “You go to war with the army you got, not the army you want” and still keep his job. And President Bush? While our solider’s die in a war that every day is revealed a fraud, the President can make fun of that fraud in video without so much as a rumble of its poor taste and why he would not listen to those who told him the intelligence he chose to use was wrong.

So much for the great urban myth of the liberal biased media!

8. booboo_babies says:

Hillary has never been my favorite, but I respected her. Not now! I can understand why Harold Ford wanted Kerry to apologize, ’cause he is in a tight race. I was upset w/Ford yesterday, but he redeemed himself in an interview on FOX last night. Hannity kept trying to get Ford to talk about Kerry, and to Ford’s credit, he did not let Hannity drag him down.

Hillary is way ahead in her race, so there was absolutely no need for her to make these comments. She’s just trying to knock JK out of competition for ’08. Please God, DON’T let her succeed!!!

9. Indie Liberal says:

Hope he can win the military familes back. There was a person that had a relative serving in Iraq and left a message at his blog about being offended by his joke and voting for him in 04 and unsubcribing to his e-mail address.

How can people that once claimed to support him drink the kool-aid spin? :shrug:

10. BoobooBabies

We won’t – as far as I am concerned she screwed herself with the thinking people of the party.

11. Indie Liberal says:

Never mind, I left a response at the JK blog. 🙂

12. Indie

More than likely some of what we’re seeing there is trolls.

13. Indie Liberal says:

Exactly. I don’t feed them, but it’s always good to put in a postive word about JK every now and then. It’s calmer now than it was the last two days.

Keep the faith,

Indie. 🙂

14. Connie says:

So good to see not only the usual Kerry supporters speaking out on his behalf, but some I had long ago written off are surprising me with their candor about the whole repub spin effort to attack a truly decent man. Somehow I think this massive and bogus attack will backfire as more and more people dig into what Kerry has really been saying all along about the incredibly tragic mistake this war has been, and they listen to the list of major disasters this administration has created. I was surprised to see Kerry mentioned in at least eleven articles on buzzflash this am, and in a positive way. I think I’m mostly happy that we are seeing some democrats for who they really are. They were the same dems who took so long to endorse Kerry in the 2004 election, the repub-lite types, and they are quick to distance themselves when it looks as if he might endanger their ambitions. No loyalty, no real mark of true leadership in my opinion in this bunch. Kerry has both. The rendering within the democratic party continues. Soon maybe we’ll know who really stands for what in our party.

15. mbk says:

Javelin Says:
    November 2nd, 2006 at 10:19 am
    Javelin: I share your outrage at my fellow Dems. . especially at Hillary.

BOB CASEY, however, deserves our thanks:

November 1, 2006 – Casey defends Kerry in Allentown stop THE MORNING CALL

Excerpts:
    U.S. Senate candidate Bob Casey Jr. today defended Sen. John Kerry , , , , “John Kerry is not only a great leader for the Democratic party and a great U.S. senator, but he’s a patriot,” Casey said after a morning political rally in Allentown. “He said he botched a joke and I think that is the beginning and the end of it. He was talking about the president and I think he has every right to criticize this president.”

. . . . Casey said that before Kerry’s critics “talk and pontificate they should remember who served.”

“Mr. Bush didn’t serve in combat,” Casey said, “(Vice President) Cheney didn’t serve in combat.”

— reporting by Josh Drobnyk, Morning Call Washington Bureau

16. Nick says:

Javelin

17. Nick says:

Dotti

18. BlueWashington says:

HRC saying JK’s remarks were “inappropriate”. That’s rich coming from the likes of her!

Give me a break…

You know, having read various blogs and listening to Big Eddie’s show over the last several days, I think Jk’s done just fine out there in the Democratic Caucus (notice I didn’t say fantastic, but he’s held his own, I think). Any other opinion out there?

19. So many great comments. Connie, it is interesting (on Buzzflash and elsehwere) all the positive things being said in Kerry’s defense. Maybe people are beginning to see, after the initial tidal wave of MSM/Republican BS coverage, that Kerry was right.

The most interesting thing in the all the talking heads coverage the last few nights, was the number of times I heard the phrase “Kerry is the titular head of the Democratic Party” discussing why his comments carried so much weight.

Ironic, but a label I’ll *take*, quite frankly.

20. bailey says:

Well, at least Limbaugh apologized.

LOL!

21. Limp-bone is a pathetic and porcine purveyor of propaganda!! WE got your back JK!! HC just makes my skin crawl. Any one that has turned their backs on him now needs a swift kick in the seats of their pants!

22. StukInIrak says:

Todd,

It seems like just a last week, Pelosi was scouting for new digs in anticipation of her election as the new House Majority Leader.

By the way, where has she been lately? Some say they may need to file a ‘missing person report’.

Ditto for Senate Minority Leader Reid and various senior Senate and House committee leaders such as Rangel and Conyers, etc. with leadership ambitions.

Regarding your above paragraph,

“Circle the wagons, folks. While Kerry did the honorable thing and disappears from radar screens for the next few days (so as not to impede the Democratic tsunami heading towards Washington), he’ll be back, and so will we”.

I am confused. Do you have time before election day to ‘circle the wagons’, suggesting a defensive strategy?

Also,

“While Kerry did the honorable thing and disappears from radar screens for the next few days (so as not to impede the Democratic tsunami heading towards Washington), he’ll be back, and so will we.”

Also, do you expect Kerry to impede the tsunami?

Very confusing…

Nick,

My take on
    Bruce SPringsteen singing “come on rise up” from his 2002 song “City of Ruins” produces a vision of Springsteen contemplating his navel and getting distracted.

Dotti,

I am confused here also. I thought BS stood for something else, but when

Pamela Leavey Says:

Nick

I think most of us are of like mind around here!
    I am certainly confused!!!

Javelin,
    Rage is an indication of extreme frustration over something than you cannot control.

Perhaps you should take next year off.

See you in 2008…

Finnegen,
    Your observation of

“So much for the great urban myth of the liberal biased media!”

suggests to me you may be believing what someone has said and have not followed the doctrine of “Trust but verify”.

Connie,
    RE: “Soon maybe we’ll know who really stands for what in our party.”

We can only hope.

mbk,

My head is spinning.

It appears to me that
    Casey’s quote, reported by Josh Drobnyk, Morning Call Washington Bureau,
    ”Casey said after a morning political rally in Allentown. “He said he botched a joke and I think that is the beginning and the end of it. He was talking about the president and I think he has every right to criticize this president.”

was made after he dis-invited Kerry to stump for him.

After all, Casey owes Kerry big-time. Maybe he gave Kerry an I.O.U. along with his pink slip.

Nick Says:

“Javelin

Sometimes words are spoken so well and a point or points so well made that there are no words to add. In the case of your comments, this is one of those times.”

But those coments generate a slew of questions.

Nick Says:

“Dotti

Anytime you need a pick-me-up and you come to the Dem daily blog, you’ve come to the right place to get one.”

We know the place. A good time would be after next Tuesday.

Todd,

RE: ‘For a bunch of people who haven’t given him the time of day since this day, two years ago, it’s damn ironic that suddenly he’s the “head of the party”.’

Would that be the big or the little one?

23. StukInIraq

Not sutre at all what your point is. We’re all Kerry Democrats around here.

24. pen says:

Javelin- I hear you. I think the democrats who stabbed Kerry like Brutus did Caesar while taking his money is what angers me the most. I didn’t expect Hillary, Lieberman and others to back him but those dems who he gave money to and worked all over the country for? I say call them write them and tell them they will be remembered for the cowards that they are.

Heck if the gop is smart they would hold the dems who backstab Kerry up in commercials and say look if they knife their own what would they do to you?

See how easy hill and the others gave the gop an opening to take it in 06? Hell if I a person with no political skill or acumen can figure that one out you bet Rove could.

On olberman Craig Crawford said the bush was out to destroy Kerry’s career well so is his own party.

Olberman asked why Kerry got hit over the head for his joke while Boehner got off and Crawford said because the dems aren’t as cut throat as the GOp and he’s right. It seems the dem party is cut throat only when it comes to Kerry and possibly Gore.

Look folks I know we want the majority in congress from the rethugs but if you think the DC dems won’t continue to throw the party under the bus you are fooling yourselves.

I will support JK and only JK in 08 but he has hit his own back in the face along with the GOp.

He hit the rethugs back hard and then apologized to save the party that wouldn’t even support him. I’m sorry to be anti-dem establishment here but I hate traitors and that’s what the DC dem leadership is.

If the troops are upset about the botched joke they need to remember who sent them to war with botched intelligence, equipment, basic supplies and yes lies.

Kerry can’t keep apologize for punching back.
    People will bad mouth him regardless so hit back hit hard and never stop getting up. Get out there and show them they can’t silence you and they can hit you but they will never break you.

Hillary has the core of an onion. She is hollow like her husband and with all his women and their combine dirt she needs to shut up. Never thought I say this but after this week I hope they bring out every piece of trash there is on the clintons and sink Hillary with it.

Heck yeah, I’m angry and I’m not going to take it any more.

Kerry has an opportunity to turn this around he can’t blow this one.

25. Indie Liberal says:

pen,

I agree. He shouldn’t back down from anything from anyone. I too think he has the opportunity to turn this around in his favor.

26. pen says:

Indie- he does, but he can’t worry about helping the party leadership anymore. They are on their own.

He has to get out there and heck yeah call in some of those IOU’s.

Get his story out there heck they put him in the news take advantage of it.

Remind people of the dead soilders and ask why are they still there?

Why are they attacking Michael J fox?

Edwards, Hillary and the others are salavaiting now but I’d send them a warning salvo too.

Get that war room staff and unleash them.

Don’t go soft on the media and give them no respect.

His smackdown of tony snow, rush and bush was truly brilliant though and that’s what getitng lost.

Snow saying he’s glad Kerry finally apologized to the troops? I’d been out there with a statement asking when is he and his crew going to apologize to the troops and the nation for this fiasco called Iraq.

One thing I noticed about the clintons and bushers. They have plenty of people be there attack dogs so they can rest up and save their one liners and look all refreshed.

Kerry doesn’t have that he has to fight everyday on his own while bill, hill and bush don’t.

The dem party is willing to sell it soul for clinton even though he is the primary reason the GOP won in 94 with his and hill’s slips ups but they throw Kerry under the bus everytime.

27. Indie Liberal says:

I agree too pen,

After the election is over, Kerry should do TV. He just needs to trust and follow his gut and let the chips fall where they may. He has been right about so much. He just needs to keep speaking the truth and mending the fences with the veterans and military families. That would help him out a lot.

28. Indie Liberal says:

..And also, ask Bush and Cheney to apologize for Iraq and bring up Bush’s cruel WMD joke back into the spotlight. It could open a lot of eyes.

29. StukinIrak writes:

“suggests to me that you are advising Democrats to take the weekend off before next Tuesday, but when will this tsunami occur and what will it do when it gets to Washington?”

I’m suggesting that it sounds like Kerry is going to take the weekend off so as not to let this bogus story detract from the Democratic tsunami heading towards D.C. The tsunami that promises to deliver both the House and Senate into Democratic hands come November 8th.