The American Conservative : The GOP MUST GO (??!!??)

I couldn’t believe this myself when I saw it. In the newest issue of The American Conservative, the following article will appear. You know that it’s bad when TAC all but endorses the Dems…………….

GOP Must Go
November 20, 2006 Issue

It should surprise few readers that we think a vote that is seen—in America and the world at large—as a decisive “No” vote on the Bush presidency is the best outcome. We need not dwell on George W. Bush’s failed effort to jam a poorly disguised amnesty for illegal aliens through Congress or the assaults on the Constitution carried out under the pretext of fighting terrorism or his administration’s endorsement of torture. Faced on Sept. 11, 2001 with a great challenge, President Bush made little effort to understand who had attacked us and why—thus ignoring the prerequisite for crafting an effective response. He seemingly did not want to find out, and he had staffed his national-security team with people who either did not want to know or were committed to a prefabricated answer.

As a consequence, he rushed America into a war against Iraq, a war we are now losing and cannot win, one that has done far more to strengthen Islamist terrorists than anything they could possibly have done for themselves. Bush’s decision to seize Iraq will almost surely leave behind a broken state divided into warring ethnic enclaves, with hundreds of thousands killed and maimed and thousands more thirsting for revenge against the country that crossed the ocean to attack them. The invasion failed at every level.

There may be little Americans can do to atone for this presidency, which will stain our country’s reputation for a long time. But the process of recovering our good name must begin somewhere, and the logical place is in the voting booth this Nov. 7. If we are fortunate, we can produce a result that is seen—in Washington, in Peoria, and in world capitals from Prague to Kuala Lumpur—as a repudiation of George W. Bush and the war of aggression he launched against Iraq.

On Nov. 7, the world will be watching as we go to the polls, seeking to ascertain whether the American people have the wisdom to try to correct a disastrous course. Posterity will note too if their collective decision is one that captured the attention of historians—that of a people voting, again and again, to endorse a leader taking a country in a catastrophic direction. The choice is in our hands.

13 Responses to The American Conservative : The GOP MUST GO (??!!??)

1. As the water rises in the sinking ship, the rats are ready to jump! In lieu of popcorn, I got a bottle of wine to celebrate tomorrow night’s right proper spanking of the GOP. That wine is sure gonna taste good!

2. oledawg says:

I am certain where Kerry is concerned, they already started last week.

3. OleDawg

Kerry is doing just fine – thanks for your concern. We don’t expect everyone to understand – 🙂

4. Teresa says:

Pour me a glass, Donnie!!!!

My teeth are too old for pop corn!

5. Lola says:

I’m fascinated by this quote, but can’t open any links to the American Conservative Magazine. I want to send this on, but would love to be able to back it up with the original source — any suggestions?

6. Lola

I saw an excerpt on another blog earlier and the link also did not work. Will check and see if I can find a working link.

7. Lola says:

Thanks Pamela. Sometimes I think the conservatives don’t want dialogue. Or else my browser has a filter that won’t let me access Republican sites.

8. oledawg Says:
    November 6th, 2006 at 1:57 pm edit

It is obvious that you have mistaken me for someone that gives a damn what you have to say! Since you have made multiple comments directed to me, I will answer them all right here. This Former Marine and Former Republican can say with all my heart..Kiss My A**!!!

I don’t have the time or will to trade barbs with an asshat that only wishes to spread BS. Opening a dialog with someone that is honest in that approach, is one thing, but to just be an all around troll will get you nowhere with me. So piss off!! Pimp whimping the GOP is my goal, passion, and my sworn duty.

The Katrinacrat

9. Lola

I must have the same filter on my browser because I can not find a link that works. Maybe they took it down because it was ticking off their base. There’s some thing in the air that is making some nervous. 😉

10. Javelin says:

Go get ’em Donnie……we’ll have no asshattery around here !! 3>

11. oledawg says:

Yeah, Donnie…way to go, or to quote Gilda Radner, “That almost made me laugh”.

I extracted the only more or less meaningful sentence(?) from your tirade in hopes that someone, no–anyone there could/would translate or interpret it for me.

RE: “Opening a dialog with someone that is honest in that approach, is one thing, but to just be an all around troll will get you nowhere with me.”

I would normally go to the source, but since you have violated the first rule of the site goal concerning ‘civil conversation’ you have effectively negated any possibility of discourse.

By the way, did you just invent the term ‘pimp whimping’? If so, it is lame, lame, lame. Never mind—George Orwell you ain’t.

So be it.

I will leave things as they are in the hands of the editor.

Readership may increase if your moderators (‘writers’?) followed the guidelines so prominently displayed above the ‘comment’ window:
    “Our goal is to engage members and readers in civil conversation.
    Bashing or attacking members of The Democratic Daily or Democratic leaders in office or candidates will not be tolerated.
    Remarks that may be construed as slanderous, bigoted, racist or advocating violence towards others, will be removed or edited.”

I understand the level of frustration here, but why the double standard?

While wearing your editor hat, you tend to follow site guidelines, but your ‘attack rabbits’ should be muzzled, or freedom of expression is stifled and meaningful dialogue is nigh impossible, especially when you encourage your minions to denigrate commenters.

I am not offended by Donnie’s blast, but I cannot contain myself when he engages in Yogi Berra-esque double talk.

12. Oledawg