You Go, (Breck) Girl

Cross posted from Article of Faith:

John Edwards’ presidential campaign released the following statement via Carpetbagger from Edwards regarding yesterday’s brouhaha over the blogger controversy (emphasis mine):

“The tone and the sentiment of some of Amanda Marcotte’s and Melissa McEwen’s posts personally offended me. It’s not how I talk to people, and it’s not how I expect the people who work for me to talk to people. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that kind of intolerant language will not be permitted from anyone on my campaign, whether it’s intended as satire, humor, or anything else. But I also believe in giving everyone a fair shake. I’ve talked to Amanda and Melissa; they have both assured me that it was never their intention to malign anyone’s faith, and I take them at their word. We’re beginning a great debate about the future of our country, and we can’t let it be hijacked. It will take discipline, focus, and courage to build the America we believe in.”

Amanda said:

“My writings on my personal blog, Pandagon on the issue of religion are generally satirical in nature and always intended strictly as a criticism of public policies and politics. My intention is never to offend anyone for his or her personal beliefs, and I am sorry if anyone was personally offended by writings meant only as criticisms of public politics. Freedom of religion and freedom of expression are central rights, and the sum of my personal writings is a testament to this fact.”

And Melissa said:

“Shakespeare’s Sister is my personal blog, and I certainly don’t expect Senator Edwards to agree with everything I’ve posted. We do, however, share many views – including an unwavering support of religious freedom and a deep respect for diverse beliefs. It has never been my intention to disparage people’s individual faith, and I’m sorry if my words were taken in that way.”

Good for them and good for Edwards. As I stated yesterday, I’m not an Edwards supporter, but it’s nice to see he learned some lessons from ’04 and won’t let his people get Swiftboated during this campaign.

9 Responses to You Go, (Breck) Girl

1. sandrakae says:

Edwards is a Snake Oil Salesman. Why didn’t he read their personal blogs before he hired them. If he plans on running a lily white campaign, he will lose for sure. It is sad,but we all know what happened to the last guy who took the high road. I am just not comfortable with Edwards anyway. I see him and his wife as backstabbers, not to mention he is not qualified. He is a 1 term Senator.

2. It’s a fine line here, because in politics we all know whatever someone says can come back to haunt them, be it the politician or staffers.

What sucks is the wingnuts bloggers made an issue of this and claimed themselves to be above the “foul language” fray. What a bunch of B.S. that is.

That said I think it’s a good thing he stood by Amanda and Melissa.

3. sandrakae says:

I am confused. Are they fired or not?

4. Sandrakae

No they’re not. 🙂

5. Ron Davison says:

Good for Edwards for keeping them. I’m not a Democrat but I’m certainly rooting for them to take back control over the next five to ten years (at least until all the neocons and theocons within the Republican Party are beaten back into positions of mute apoplexy). Democrats have this crazy tendency of playing self-righteous and turning on their own for actually showing a little humanity. So Clinton has a libido, Biden talks uncensored and Edwards has the wisdom to actually hire some people with strong opinions. That is supposed to be relevant when we’re desperately in need of someone actually focused on policy? Please, people, this is a president we’re trying to elect – not a savior.

6. Glad to see that he did the right thing and kept them. I do see a holier than thou tilt to his response though. He didn’t come full out and take their sides. He walked like there was a room full of sleeping bears. I still don’t feel anything with this guy.

7. Todd:

Is he a crook? A slippery bastard? Boozer? Slacker? Unreliable? Nuts?

A year from November, Edwards might be running against Newt Gingrich. Who you want to win?

8. John writes: “You’re free to express yourself, of course. So am I. What’s with the “Breck Girl” dig? Are you questioning the guy’s masculinity? What’s the point?”

The guy has nice hair. That’s it. Maureen Dowd dubbed him that, I believe, back in the ’04 campaign after a video surfaced of him primping his hair for several minutes before going on stage at a rally.

“If there is a substantive issue, let’s hear about it. Otherwise, WTF is wrong with a guy wanting to look good?”

Nothing. It’s a joke, which obviously you’ve taken *way* too seriously.

9. John says:

Don’t start *that* again.