Nugent: Die HIPPIE! Die!

Ted Nugent, the “Motor City Madman” has decided to retroactively rewrite history so that he can burnish his “conservative” bona fides.

Ted Nugent being \'moral\'

Here’s your creepy Fourth of July card from the WSJ and Ted Nugent. Posted at 12:01 AM on July 4, 2007, in the Wall Street Journal’s Opinion Journal online, came the slimy attack:

The Summer of Drugs
Forty years ago, dirty, stinky hippies converged on San Francisco to “turn on, tune in and drop out.”

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 12:01 a.m. EDT

This summer marks the 40th anniversary of the so-called Summer of Love. Honest and intelligent people will remember it for what it really was: the Summer of Drugs.

Forty years ago hordes of stoned, dirty, stinky hippies converged on San Francisco to “turn on, tune in, and drop out,” which was the calling card of LSD proponent Timothy Leary. Turned off by the work ethic and productive American Dream values of their parents, hippies instead opted for a cowardly, irresponsible lifestyle of random sex, life-destroying drugs and mostly soulless rock music that flourished in San Francisco…

Yes, he hates his generation. Now, after the chest-beating and the posturing, Nugent makes his ONLY debate point at the bottom, in typical Rightie, dismissive “holier-than-thou” fashion:

While I salute and commend the political and cultural activism of the 1960s that fueled the civil rights movement, other than that, the decade is barren of any positive cultural or social impact. Honest people will remember 1967 for what is truly was.

There is a saying that if you can remember the 1960s, you were not there. I was there and remember the decade in vivid, ugly detail. I remember its toxic underbelly excess because I was caught in the vortex of the music revolution that was sweeping the country, and because my radar was fine-tuned thanks to a clean and sober lifestyle.

Death due to drugs and the social carnage heaped upon America by hippies is nothing to celebrate. That is a fool’s game, but it is quite apparent some burned-out hippies never learn.

Substitute “Jews” or “Blacks” for “hippies,” and you’ve pretty much got the depth of Nugent’s bigotry and the depths of his hatred for his own generation — who never particularly embraced him. His fan base was, finally, the following generation. So, perhaps we can understand his bilious embitterment.

[Black] “Civil rights” were the only contribution? Get a life, Nugent. I don’t have time to list all the contributions that the “Summer of Love” generation made to American freedom and liberty (you know, what we’re supposed to be celebrating on the Fourth). And women’s rights, gay rights, marital rights, children’s rights, human rights, etc. etc. etc. They are, in Nugent’s words:

The 1960s, a generation that wanted to hold hands, give peace a chance, smoke dope and change the world, changed it all right: for the worse. America is still suffering the horrible consequences of hippies who thought utopia could be found in joints and intentional disconnect.

Instead, the WSJ and Ted Nugent celebrate the Fourth by slurring an entire generation, heaping contempt on their ideological enemies, and lying to make their slimy, elitist point.

More King George III than Jefferson, Adams and Franklin, to be sure.

But then, what did we expect of the Wall Street Urinal? How would Rupert Murdoch taking over the Klan Fest that is the WSJ’s editorial page change anything? You can’t get much lower that this.

I won’t mention the old Amboy Dukes extended piece “Papa’s Will” in which the protagonist lights his father’s oxygen tent on fire, and then masturbates over the corpse. (That was the version Ted played live, the vinyl ‘hid’ this, obviously, like the vinyl hid Jim Morrison’s lyric explaining what he’d like to do to his mother in “The End” on the Doors’ eponymous debut Lp) .

This would undoubtedly probably be a poor example of Ted’s “conservative” values. (don’t screw with former record store managers who know your career backwards and forwards, Ted).

That’s OK. Consider who else in his generation he wants to snuggle up to:

Ted Nugent: 13 December 1948

Rush Limbaugh: 12 January, 1951

(Like Rush, Nugent made his living off of the hippie music scene, then turned around to make a living pissing on them).

Tom DeLay: April 8, 1947

Here, I borrowed this from my old blog, Skiing Uphill, August 10, 2005:

Here: look at these contemporaries and ask yourself, are these really the kids of the same generation?

Mick Jagger: 7/26/1943

Tiny Tim: 4/12/1932

Ruth Bader Ginsberg 3/15/1933

Donald Rumsfeld: 7/9/1932

Little Richard: 12/5/1932

Karl Rove: 12/25/1950

Bruce Springsteen: 9/23/1949

So, the question becomes: what the hell happened to these politicians* that they seemed to have entirely missed rock and roll. Imagine, if you will, almost any of the politicians named at a rock concert by one of the artists named.

But it’s the same generation!

[* well, not Kerry and Pelosi, of course, but you get the idea]

As, alas, is ‘moral’ Ted Nugent. Who went over to the dark side.

Drugs weren’t the greatest thing in the world, but to discount the entire generation because the slimeballs you hung out with backstage in the astonishingly chauvinist rock&roll world (male chauvinism vanished, in rock and roll, ironically, LONG after the rest of the generation and society got the idea, and grew up — one wonders if “women’s rights” would be included in Nugent’s “civil rights,” although it seems apparent that they are NOT), well, Ted, perhaps you wrecked more brain cells than you’d care to admit. I’ll be glad to stipulate it’s not from drugs, but there are many other way to wreck brain cell, like alcohol, and gun blasts, and, well, hanging out with Rightie hatemeisters, like, say the WSJ’s editorial staff.*

[* I understand that recent medical research strongly suggests that exposure to John Fund in person is the equivalent of smoking four PCP joints, in terms of destroying brain cells, for example. Reading his writing is only slightly less deleterious to brain health.]

What a gift from Ted Nugent and the WSJ on “the glorious Fourth.”

What “patriots” they are!

© 2007 Hart Williams. Cross-posted from Zug - Hart Williams' Blog The continuation of Skiing Uphill and Boregasm, Zug is 'the little blog that could.'

877-851-6347 call congress toll free

About Hart Williams

Mr. Williams grew up in Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas and New Mexico. He lived in Hollywood, California for many years. He has been published in The Washington Post, The Kansas City Star, The Santa Fe Sun, The Los Angeles Free Press, Oui Magazine, New West, and many, many more. A published novelist and a filmed screenwriter, Mr. Williams eschews the decadence of Hollywood for the simple, wholesome goodness of the plain, honest people of the land. He enjoys Luis Buñuel documentaries immensely.

16 Responses to Nugent: Die HIPPIE! Die!

1. There’s a good post over at “The Impolitic” on Nugent’s WSJ rant.

2. Darrell Prows says:

I first ran across Nugent just a couple of years ago on a radio show called “Gun Talk. I didn’t know who the hell he was before that and haven’t figured it out since.

He does have a point about the damage brought by druggies, though. GWB is of exactly the right age to be included, and the stories all say he really got down.

Is Ted trying to set the stage for giving George an excuse?

3. Ginny Cotts says:

This is pretty weird for me. My sister and brother-in-law actually did the hippie thing almost to the hilt. Commune with other family and friends. My sister, an RN, was the only one who held a real job – mostly to bring in cash. They got welfare for food. It fell apart in less than a year and 35 years later they are as yuppie as anyone in the generation.

I watched the antics from the sidelines – with a lot of other people. As has been pointed out, the actual involvement did not amount to a very large percentage. I remember the 60’s quite well – I was born in ’52. My parents were solid social activists and I was exposed to discrimination, hunger, poverty, inner city slums, back alley abortions and the social carnage those problems heaped on America was in far greater numbers than anything the hippies did.

When I look at the drugs my kids and their peers were exposed to, at early ages, I am still curious how much of this was because of the actual desire to use them, or the marketing and misinformation that hooked millions.

Darrell has an interesting thought on that stage. W is certainly having trouble with his act.

4. Pingback: Democratic Convention Party Political Local Advertising Presidential Campaigns » Blog Archive » Another Dip in the Nugent Slime

5. Revert says:

To quote you “Rightie hatemeisters”, yet all I read was a diatribe of hate from you. I may not agree with all of what Ted has to say and yes he is not always the most articulate of men. I do however put Ted a little bit above, he at least is trying to get a meaning through instead of just insulting for the mere pathetic excuse of his own trite happiness. Now please call me a hate monger for disliking your article, and disagreeing with your opinion.

6. Ginny Cotts says:

What can I say. I’ve listened to RW talk radio against my will for decades. This is because I have to be at work where other folks chose the channel.

There is no comparing the vile hatred they spew based on disinformation and lies, to Hart’s anger at an insult that Nugent spelled out very clearly.

Hart was not alone in his take on Nugent’s opinion. Check the Impolitic link.

7. Revert says:

I can empathize with you and the radio situation. I also understand why the author was upset with Ted, my point was that he should articulate him/herself without having to resort to insults and personal attacks.

I am fed up with both left and right wing spewing out insults to try and make themselves and their (often hidden) points sound better.

I do not have a solution, all I know is that I am fed up with BOTH parties and the crap they drag with them.

8. Ginny Cotts says:

I’ve been upset with plenty of Dems for their stupid comments and I have always discouraged suggestions that Dems start talking like the RW hate mongers. Maybe I’m more familiar with Hart’s writing and am more upset with the stuff that others get away with than I used to be.

I am plugging Drew Westen’s “The Political Brain: The Role of Emotion in Deciding the Fate of the Nation ” every chance I can get (one of these days I will finish it myself and do a review here). This is the book I have searched and waited for a long time. He uses the new information about the brain to explain why Democrats and our candidates don’t connect with American voters. The first thing we HAVE to get over is that humans do much more of their thinking in emotional and experiential context than rationally.

I still think Hart is verbalizing anger. If you didn’t follow this link, it may help to understand some of
    Nugent’s on record comments.

For instance:

Nugent has had to pay $75,000 for shooting off his mouth after a radio interview in 1992, when he referred to Heidi Prescott of The Fund for Animals as a “worthless whore” and a “shallow slut,” asking, “Who needs to club a seal, when you could club Heidi?” (Detroit Free Press, April 5, 1995.

It gets MUCH worse.

9. Revert

On a whole I think you will notice if you take a little time to read some of the other posts here that we’re a pretty down to earth blog that doesn’t have much of a propensity to rant.

I think people on a whole like yourself are frustrated and sometimes being frustrated comes out in not so productive ways.

Hart has written some very stuff here that keeps us all laughing, as well.

10. Phil Hendrie says:

“Jews and Blacks” are people born into their racial and cultural reality and thus are targeted for something they cannot change (if they wanted to) “Hippies” were people who chose their life and philosophy. Hence, you don’t seem to know the difference between a racist sentiment and a simple insult.

Mr Wms. Replies: Thanks for clarifying that deep philosophical point. Next I presume that you’ll attempt to tell your ass from your elbow. Good luck.

11. Andrew Coen says:

I am a hardcore democrat who disagrees with most of Ted Nugent’s views but you ought to be ashamed of yourself for what you wrote! Whether you meant it or not advocating violence against someone for his political beliefs is never acceptable in this great country! He is entitled to his beliefs just like you and me. His music also kicks ass as I’ve seen him in concert three times! This is one liberal urging you yo never mess with Uncle Ted again!

Mr. Wms. Replies: In my experience, “I am a hardcore democrat” is generally code for “I am a Republican troll.” Your further comments do nothing to refute that hypothesis.

12. wkopp says:

One thing the hippies did achieve was that they got us out of Vietnam and the results were more than a million Vietnamese were killed by the communists. They also helped pave the way for Pol Pot’s killing fields. Today, the people who want us to leave Iraq are a lot like the hippies of 67′. They too would have us leave a bloodbath and a new killing field that they will take no responsibility for.

By the way, the hippies insured that the Vietnam War lasted longer because they undermined our position in the peace talks and resulted in the deaths of untold numbers of our troops who they did not support anyway.

Mr. Wms. Replies: Having lived through that era, I appreciate this history lesson. Before your clarification, I didn’t understand a THING about Vietnam. When did you receive your doctorate in history? Or are you still working on it?

13. randall says:

i agree with ted nugent here. and i am considered liberal in most of my political and social views. also, i disagree with most of ted’s stated political views but I believe he said it like it is on this particular subject. btw, my being big fan of nugent’s music does not prevent me from totally disagreeing with most of his stated political views. but if more of us “liberals” would speak our mind like ted nugent speaks his, we would be better off. in my opinion.

14. Ginny Cotts says:

These comments by Nugent were at a link Hart put in this post. This is the sterling character that the WSJ gave print space to. The guy that some liberals commenting don’t agree with but are willing to support as a musician and in freedom of speech – apparently without anyone taking issue with his positions.

Campus Progress is a project of the Center for American Progress

In a July 15, 1990, Detroit Free Press interview, Nugent crowed about how he
    managed to dodge the draft. He claims that 30 days before his draft board
    physical, he disavowed personal hygiene. The last ten days he ingested nothing
    but junk food and Pepsi, and with a week to go until the physical, he stopped
    using the bathroom altogether. When the big day came, he had been living in
    excrement-caked and urine-stained pants. Always the hero, however, Nugent
    reassured the Free Press, “But if I would have gone over there, I’d have been
    killed, or I’d have killed all the Hippies in the foxholes. I would have killed

in 1992, when he referred to Heidi Prescott of The Fund for Animals as a

” Foreigners are assholes; foreigners are scum; I don’t like ‘em; I don’t want
    ‘em in this country; I don’t want ‘em selling me doughnuts; I don’t want ‘em
    pumping my gas; I don’t want ‘em downwind of my life-OK? So anyhow-and I’m dead
    serious…” (WRIF-FM, Detroit, Ted Nugent as guest D.J., November 19, 1992).

Nugent’s interpretation of the 2nd Amendment is enough to send good citizens of
    Michigan sprinting across state lines, once saying about an encounter with a
    Hare Krishna, “… And in my mind, I’m going, why can’t I just shoot this guy in
    the spine right now; shoot him in the spine, explain the facts of life to
    him?…” (WRIF-FM, Detroit, Ted Nugent as guest D.J., September 28, 1990).

“…Yeah, we want to go to Saudi Arabia, man, and see if we can’t get a four
    iron and knock people’s laundry off the top of their heads. Wear laundry on
    your head and die, is the basic theme of the Damn Yankees [Nugent’s 90’s band]” WRIF-FM, Detroit, Ted Nugent as guest D.J., September 25, 1990

A speaker at the NRA’s 2005 National Convention in Houston, he received an
    enthusiastic reception from the delegates when he told them: “Remember the
    Alamo! Shoot ‘em! To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want
    rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad
    guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want ‘em dead. Get a
    gun and when they attack you, shoot ‘em.” (“Ted Nugent to Fellow NRAers: Get
    Hardcore,” Associated Press article, April 17, 2005).

My being there (South Africa) isn’t going to affect any political structure.
    Besides, apartheid isn’t that cut-and-dry. All men are not created equal.”
    Detroit Free Press Magazine, July 15, 1990

“The preponderance of South Africa is a different breed of man…They still put
    bones in their noses, they still walk around naked, they wipe their butts with
    their hands. And when I kill an antelope for ‘em, their preference is the gut pile. That’s what they fucking want to eat, the intestines. These are different
    people. You give them toothpaste, they fucking eat it.” Detroit Free Press
    Magazine, July 15, 1990

“…First thing I slayed…I was nine years old. It was a squirrel, these ladies
    were feeding it, you know, and I said, ‘excuse me, bam.’ No it wasn’t a pet
    squirrel. I had it stuffed and petted it for years after that.” WRIF-FM,
    Detroit, Ted Nugent as guest D.J., September 26, 1991

If you don’t have a sense of humor, you’re not allowed in Ted’s world. I don’t
    objectify women. I’d like to think that I’m optimizing their hardware.’”
    Westword Newspaper, Denver, Colorado, July 27, 1994

The Nuge has a thing about lumping women into a category with wild animals. He
    told Salon that he gets a “full predator spiritual erection” from tracking
    “bear, lions, coons, housecats, escaped chimps, small children, scared women,
    and everything else that can be chased and/or hunted.

I really doubt Ted has made any attempt to apologize for these comments, nor was he drunk and under arrest at the times he made them.

15. Pingback: Nugent Disgusts Anew, My Response « his vorpal sword

16. Pingback: Chuck Adkins › Editorial: Ted Nugent - Charlatan Opportunist Extraordinaire