Shuster Suspended from MSNBC – Apologizes to the Clintons

In my Late Night Reads last night, I posted a link to Taylor Marsh’s post on David Shuster’s contemptable sexist remarks made about Chelsea Clinton. The Clinton campaign hit back hard today:

Asked about Shuster’s “pimp” comment, Wolfson denounced the comment as “disgusting” and “beneath contempt,” adding: “It’s the kind of thing that should never be said on a national news network.”

Then Wolsfon added: “You have to question whether or not there is a pattern here on the part of the network.” He added: “Is this part of a pattern? I don’t know, but [it’s] beneath contempt.”

Then, unbidden, he concluded: “I’ll say this. We’ve done a number of debates on that network…I at this point can’t envision a scenario where we would debate on that network given the comments that were made and have been made.”

That he would effectively rule out future debate appearances for the time being strongly suggests that the Hillary campaign discussed this in some detail beforehand and decided to launch this broadside against the network.

Indeed, Shuster stirred up a firestorm and in record time, MSNBC suspended Shuster and he apologized to the Clintons and viewers for his comments:

But was Shuster’s apology enough? Probably not, as Jamison Foser notes on Media Matters:

If NBC News wants viewers to believe that, it would help if it told us how it is taking these matters seriously. What steps has NBC News taken to ensure that things like this don’t happen again? Have executives given their reporters and pundits guidance about what kinds of things are not appropriate to say? Have they talked to Matthews and Scarborough and Carlson and Shuster and the rest about their lengthy history of objectionable comments to and about women?

I think we’ve had enough of the sexist remarks coming from MSNBC pundits and other counter parts in the media. I’m equally appalled that other top level Democrats have not called these pompous talking heads out on this. The rampant and pervasive sexism that has surrounded Hillary Clinton’s bid for the White House disgusts me as a woman and the mother of teenaged daughter in her first year in college.

When does it stop? I know I sure as hell would be outraged if someone said something like that about my daughter, and anyone who thought Hillary Clinton and her campaign would sit back and let Shuster get away with this was dreaming.

There’s more at Shakesville; Feministing; MYDD; Pandagon; Hullabaloo and Feministe. Memeorandum has all the buzz.

UPDATE: Olbermann on Shuster’s Chelsea Clinton Comment.

16 Responses to Shuster Suspended from MSNBC – Apologizes to the Clintons

1. Brian Luce says:

He was totally out of line to say that. A cheap shot. Live TV, those things happen. He did apologize though and it sounded sincere. What’s he supposed to do? hang himself?

MSNBC is a good network. No one is forced to watch it. There’s always FOX.

2. Brian Luce says:

Also, I noticed MSNBC seem to have an unusually high number of female pundits on today. HA! Looks like they’re trying to make nice!

3. Brian Luce says:

NPR had some battle ax on today, I don’t know her name–she’s from some kind of Estrogen based gladiator academy–anyway she apparently authored some essay rolling across the net right now. Some how Chelsea is connected. This lady was going off! Just the must deadly powerful rhetoric about the mistreatment of women you can imagine. And from what I know it was all true. I had to turn off the radio to go hide under my bed. Maybe someone can link it here.

4. Brian Luce Said: on February 9th, 2008 at 12:55 am

Excuse me? “Battle Ax”????? “Estrogen based gladiator academy”????

Brian you just dropped your sexist BS on the wrong blog and bought yourself a one way ticket to my Moderation queue, permanently.

I suggest you go hide under your bed again, because that crap doesn’t fly here.

5. Pingback: MSNBC's David Shuster "Pimp" Comment About Chelsea Clinton Causes Suspension And Relflects Cable Media Culture

6. Pingback: The Democratic Daily

7. Joyce says:

Why is there so much to do about nothing? He apologized. Now, what about what John McCain said about Chelsea? That was disgusting, and she was a child at the time. Why is this not getting air time..because its a republican, and they seem to be protected by the great MSM. Well, I find McCains ‘joke’ about Chelsea outrageous. I know that the Clintons heard it before too.

Here is what the presidential McCain said at a GOP Dinner in 1989 !

“Why is Chelsea so ugly?
    Because Janet Reno is her father.”

Read it yourself..and then decide if this is a man who deserves the White House!

8. Janis says:

Joyce, that crack that McCain made is a BIG part of why I want Hillary standing at the next podium over during the debates after the primaries. I want him to shift his beady little eyes over to look at his opponent and see that kid’s MOTHER staring back at him. She’ll be after his SCALP.

9. Joyce/Jani: Now we need a debate moderator with the integrity to allow McCain to explain himself on that one. And the beauty is that he would fall back on lack of memory and really cement his appeal with the Reagan loving right wind.

So let’s see, we have Hillary accused of lesbianism, adultery, and involvement in prostitution. Hell, the talk radio crowd beats that every day and they never get called to answer to anyone.

10. Pingback: The Hillary Pillory Clinton Campaign? « his vorpal sword

11. Pingback: The Democratic Daily

12. nancy robbins says:

The remarks were disgusting, both those made by McCain in the past and the recent remark about Chelsea. It Just proves one thing; there are uneducated fools on television and there are crazy republicans running for President. Hillary is gracious, her daughter is beautiful,educated and a great help to her mother at this busy time. At least Hillary didn’t stoop to the same level of stupidity and as her critics did. IT JUST PROVES THAT HILLARY HAS THE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE TO RUN THIS COUNTRY.

13. Joyce says:

There is only one way to decide who deserves the be the next President of this country. They have all forgotten about the Iraq INVASION. We invaded a country based on LIES, no questions left, it was lies. We have destroyed Iraq, its people, murdered the woman and children for no reason at all……other than Bush wants the oil! Any person who voted on this war, and we knew at the time it was all based on lies, first it was because of 911, when that did not sell, bush kept changing the reasons. Anyway, any of these candidates who still supports this war, and is willing to go into Iran and kill more innocent people, should be thrown out of office, not promoted.
    This shows the character of the person more than anything. We do not have the right to invade another country and kill its citizens just because they have something we want.
    Imagine if it happened here. Imagine if China or Russia was roaming our streets and killing our babies, bashing in our doors and destroying everything in site. No water, no food, no jobs, no houses, no hospitals… I for one refuse to vote for anyone who supports this one sided war. They have hidden agendas and will not do right by us. Look what bush has done, and instead of continuing down his path of destruction, we need real change.
    ***EDITED BY MODERATOR*** Obama says he wants to end the war, but he needs to say and do more before I really believe him. Hopefully, one of the Dems will come forward and take a stand to stop this hell bush started.
    peace.

14. Mike says:

Perhaps MSNBC should ban the Clintons from their network for the “Jessie Jackson” remark Bill made about Obama.

I agree that the networks are overloaded with loud mouth fools, and it wasn’t right to accuse the Clintons of “pimping out” their daughter, but it seems like the Clinton campaign is really pushing their outrage thing a little far.

15. SAL says:

Here is the funny thing….Clintons own Press Sec did not even know what the term “Pimped Out” meant!

Riddle me this…How can you be upset about a term that you don’t understand???

If the Press Sec googled the term the 1st hit reads…….

From-Urban Dictionary: “pimped outpimped out cool pimp awesome tricked out nice phat pimpin ride … By the amount of bling-bling he was flashing, we knew he was pimped out. …”

“cool” “awesome” does not sound bad to me….

Now we all know there are other connotations but why take the low road? Maybe Hill wanted to play the sympathy vote??

Original Message—–
    From: Philippe Reines
    To: David Shuster
    Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 7:14 p.m.

David – how hard is it for someone, anyone, in the vast MS/NBC universe to contact any one of us at the campaign for comment about Chelsea before going on air and saying that she is being “pimped out” ? It’s absurdly offensive. And what the hell does that even mean?
    I just don’t get MSNBC – does GE not allow you to make toll calls? What’s the problem.

Philippe Reines
    Press Secretary
    Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton

***MODERATOR NOTE – PLEASE DO NOT USE BOLD ON ENTIRE POST — IT HAS BEEN EDITED***

16. Sal

Riddle me this — Clinton’s press secretary certainly understood the traditional verbage, which is his line of questioning – it’s a rhetorical question, FYI, not one for the unban dictionary.

🙄