Obama and McCain Win Winsconsin

I’m sorry to say I haven’t had much time since I got back from my weekend trip to blog. The returns are in from the Wisconsin primary and it’s Obama and McCain, yet again. In a preview of what’s to come if Obama is the Democratic nominee, John McCain “took a swipe against Obama” in his victory speech which “focused on the fight against terrorism.”

I will work hard to make sure Americans aren’t deceived by an eloquent but empty call for change,” McCain said.

The presumed Republican nominee also knocked his likely Democratic opponent by taking a shot at the “confused leadership of an inexperienced candidate.”

Ouch… The writing is on the wall, I am sorry to say. I am dubious whether hope and change will be enough for Obama to go toe to toe against McCain in the general election debates.

McCain also took a swipe at Obama’s wife, Michelle Obama, who stepped in it on Monday and raised the patriotism alarm with the right wingers:

I have never lived a day, in good times or bad, that I haven’t been proud of the privilege” of being an American, said McCain. “Don’t tell me what we can’t do.  Don’t tell me we can’t make our country stronger and the world safer.  We can.  We must.  And when I’m President we will.”

Michelle Obama has been criticized for saying in Milwaukee, Wisconsin Monday, “For the first time in my adult lifetime, I’m really proud of my country . . . not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change.”

ABC News reports, “McCain spokeswoman Jill Hazelbaker called the swipe at Obama, “a preview of things to come.”” I’ll repeat, I am dubious whether Obama can hold his own with McCain and I honestly wish I was not. The right wing will push McCain’s experience to the max. McCain got a boost with the moderates in Wisconsin today, which could actually play badly for Obama in the general election. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton will be on the stump tomorrow in Ohio contrasting the difference between a campaign with solid ideas and one filled with “words” and borrowed lines.

13 Responses to Obama and McCain Win Winsconsin

1. BlueWashington says:

I don’t want to say anything negative here on your blog Pamela, so I’ve stayed away – dropping by every now and again to see what you have on JK (bottom line, I’m a JK guy).

I’m going to pitch my 2 cents here: Because he’s fresh, new, (transformational?), carries less baggage, projects a strong sense of service, carries intellect and knowledge, and most important – can inspire large groups of people (I call it the JFK affect). I gotta tell you , the JFK affect is very impressive – my own precinct caucus was swamped to 2 to 1 by it.

My concern for Hillary – baggage, baggage, baggage. I’m very concerned for her. A lot of Dems around here (and I live in progressive state) are very concerned that she couldn’t carry the state in a general election. It’s a very real fear – I have it!

Bottom line – McCain talks about staying in Iraq for up to 100 years and extending the Bush tax cuts to stimulate the economy. Who’s he kidding? Obama can hammer him with that kinda stuff. Can he take a punch? Yeah, I think he can – look how he’s holding his own with Hillary. FYI – I’m concerned for Hillary in In Texas and Ohio. After this defeat in Wisconsin, things don’t look too shiny in those other states.

Hey – I noticed that Ed Schultz has you down as one of his favorites! Congrats! You best catch up with him, though – he has you linked to your old site!

2. I am sorry to say, Pamela, that it looks like you are doing exactly what you chastise your bloggers of! By, speaking so negatively of Senator Obama, you are providing political fodder for the Republican nominee. By giving credance to McCain’s, “confused leadership of an inexperienced candidate”, aren’t you downing Obama and bolstering McCain’s view? Why is it OK for you to agree with McCain’s negative comments, while you down bloggers who say that Hillary carries too much political baggage? I simply can’t understand why anti-Hillary comments are seen as GOP political ammo and your anti Barack comments are not. It sure seems like a double standard to me. Buzz

3. Blue W

Los Angeles is also a very progressive area and Hillary carried L.A. and most of CA for that matter. Personally I’m not so vested in a candidate this election as I am in putting a Dem in the White House. For reasons I have spelled here I chose to back Hillary. Whoever the nominee is will have my support.

4. Buzz

I quoted a news piece that has been quoted by many a progressive blog tonight. I gave my opinion, I don’t think Obama can hold his own against McCain. That is not repeating negative memes about him.

Frankly, this election has brought back all the cynicism I had in my youth about politics. There’s a lot of things more important to me than quibbling over this election at this point.

5. ironxl84 says:

Perhaps in the emotional climate of the primaries, simple pragmatism has fallen by the wayside.

Its all well and good to get swept up in the fervor of Obama’s rallying call – but IMO he is simply acting as a spoiler.

Bottom line – If Obama gets the nomination, “middle America” will tilt toward McCain – most probably giving him a victory.

The only thing worse than 8 years of Bush – is another 8 by a Bush wannabe.

Forget the passionate JFK comparisons. When we are stuck in another Republican muck, hindsight will be 20/20.

Hillary is the only viable contender to prevent a McCain win IMO.

6. alrudder says:

As someone who is now neutral in this race, I am now listening to Ed Schultz (mentioned above) and he made the point of: What if the Shoe was on the other foot?

Take a moment and imagine if Hillary had won 10 straight contests and led the delegate count. But Obama refused to give up. What would we and the MSM be saying about Obama?
    Close your eyes and imagine….

7. Alrudder

IMHO – Because Obama is a man they would be saying he’s a fighter. That’s what they would be saying.

8. Right now at least there is no interest in John McCain. There is no demand for the politics he’s pushing. Back when there was still a contest on the republican side there was mostly no interest and I know of nothing outside of a spectacular terrorist attack that is likely to turn that around. I mean “old war hero with nothing going for him other than that” was tried in 96′ and never got out of the starting gate, and this next one looks pretty similar to that.

Oh, and did I mention that the “Republican economy” is still a very long way from reaching bottom.

9. bjerryberg says:

It is truly blindness and lunacy to think Sen Obama can be elected.

Below is a sampling of what lies in store.

The beneficiary of his promotion is Mike Bloomberg—-or perhaps some similar fascistic sort who can ride in to the rescue the minute both parties are wrecked.

Sen Obama will be lucky if he can carry Illinois and DC when the swift-boat set gets through with him. Winning a caucus in Idaho or Nebraska doesn’t prepare one for what is about hit.

Intelligence community figure, and Dem, Larry Johnson outlines the plausible lines of attack on HuffPo. And Newt Gingrich and Grover Norquist gloat in the British press about what they will do to Obama.

And unlike the swift-boat crap of 2004 there is some substance there, particularly regarding Rezko and Ayers.

10. Darrell

The Republican party will rally around McCain when he is declared the nominee – like him or not. They are far better at toeing the party line than Dems are. And they are interested in keeping the Republican agenda alive. We’re not but they are. And they don’t think anything is wrong with the economy either.

11. BlueWashington says:

I certainly did not come over here to rial the readers. I just wanted to give my own opinion of how I see the candidates and what’s been going on in my state. Not only do I have great respect for Barack Obama, but for Hillary Clinton, too. It takes a lot of guts to do what these people are doing.

My most pressing issue is getting a Dem in the White House and having a Dem Congress for that president to work with; 2 issues mos dear to me – Fair Trade and the Supreme Court.

I’m dizzy.

12. Blue W

You could come around here more often. 🙂 You are missed.

Personally I’m just riled in general about a lot of stuff that goes beyond this blog and the election. And I’m burnt out… Nearly 5 years of balancing a blog, a business and being a parent. Too much for this woman sometimes.

13. BlueWashington says:

Thanks Pamela.

More guts to you, too. This blog stuff can consume a body!

BTW – get Big Eddie to fix his link to you. Yeah, I know, he can be a real pain in the neck, but he draws folks in (such as me). But if he’s using sites like yours for his info, you gotta oblige him. ( I even agree he goes after Clinton a bit too much) And you gotta keep that man informed on the issues! Yes?