Are Republicans Choosing Our Nominee Only to Screw Us in November?

I’ve been uneasy for sometime now about Obama courting Republicans so heavily to vote for him in the primaries. It’s one thing to do this in the general election (there were Republicans for Kerry in ’04), but another thing altogether to have them weighing in on our nominee. And, it makes me especially uneasy to think that there could be a chance that they may be voting for Obama during the primaries with ulterior motives.

I mean come on, we all know the Republicans don’t exactly relish the idea of Hillary Clinton as president. So what if, I mean what if they are supporting Obama in the primaries to pump up his numbers and then they will drop him in the general election to vote for the Republican nominee?

Needless to say, this does not bode well at all for the concerns I have had:

Attention All Texas Republicans and Independents!!

On March 4th, Texas Republicans and Independents will have an opportunity to end Hillary Clinton’s (and Bill’s) presidential ambitions once and for all!

Because  the post on  Republican’s for Obama says, “Texas has on open primary, Republicans and Independents should sign in at their polling place and request a Democratic ballot.”

They should then vote for Barack Obama. Even James Carville admits that if Hillary loses Texas, “she’s done!” Republicans can help make this a reality!!! Just think, no more Clintons in the White House!

Voting Democratic this one time will have NO effect on your ability to vote in the next Republican primary or obviously on your vote in November. Since John McCain has the Republican nomination locked up, voting for McCain or Huckabee at this point will have no effect on the outcome on the Republican side.

Ans then there’s the special caveat attached to the Texas Primary that sweetens the pot for Republicans looking to do in Hillary’s campaign:

After you vote during early voting or on March 4th, you ARE NOT done! Report back to your regular polling place at 7PM on March 4th to sign the Barack Obama list for caucus delegates. In a little known Texas voting quirk, 67 delegates to the Democratic convention will be seated because of these caucuses. This is a full one-third of the total number of Texas delegates. For Hillary to lose, she has to lose the primary votes AND the caucus votes. I urge you to vote against Hillary Clinton by voting for Barack Obama.

This really does not bode well at all. As Jeralyn points out on Talk Left:

Who’s really picking our Democratic nominee? If it’s the Democratic youth or African American voters, I’m okay with that. That’s fair. If it’s Republicans, I’m not. We’ll get trounced in November.Without reliable stats to show Obama’s support is from those who will for the Democrat in November, I’d say the best way to ensure Republicans stay out of our race and don’t steal another election from us is for Dems to vote for Hillary to be the nominee.

Wake up people!! Not only do we stand the chance of having to fight for progressive issues because Republicans who may stick with Obama will expect something in return, the possibility is obvious very real that not all Republicans supporting Obama in the primaries are doing so because they want him as our next president.

They are doing so to get Hillary out and they will drop Obama like a hot potato come November. Don’t be naive to think this isn’t the case. Don’t be naive.

16 Responses to Are Republicans Choosing Our Nominee Only to Screw Us in November?

1. JCitizen says:

What an embarrassment you are.
    You post a link, write an entire article about it, but never even look closely at what you are linking.

Guess what. That site is urging Republicans to vote for Obama in the primary AND IN NOVEMBER.

2. Pingback: Kristoff Front and Center in the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy to Oust Hillary « The Crone Speaks

3. Harry S. says:

Really, there comes a point where paranoid fantasies of conspiracy become just that: paranoid fantasies.

Republicans can no more change the outcome of the primary process than Huckabee can change the outcome of their primaries. If you look at the numbers and the demographics, it’s clear that it isn’t because of Republican crossovers that Hillary is losing by double digits.

Jeralyn has taken to rationalizing like crazy on Talk Left, but it’s time to wake up and smell the coffee: Obama is being legitimately chosen by the electorate. One realizes that isn’t the outcome you’d personally like, but it’s time to face the fact that 11 double-digit losses in a row isn’t a fluke.

4. The Other Ed says:

Jcitizen nailed it. Are you against trying to grow the Democratic party? That site is trying to bring Republican (many of which used to be Democrats) voters over to the Democratic side.

I’m sorry, they may not be “pure” enough for you but I’m willing to welcome them to our side.

5. beachmom says:

My sister voted for Obama in Wisconsin. She is an Independent. She will be voting for Obama in the General Election.

That’s too bad you are suspicious of new voters who will vote Democratic in November. I mean, how else are we going to win in Novemeber if it isn’t with new voters apart from those who voted for Kerry in ’04?

6. J Citizen

You assume I didn’t go through the website Republicans For Obama before quoting the post by “afnighthawk” on Republicans For Obama. You shouldn’t assume things. I’ve been blogging for nearly 5 years, including the nearly 1 1/2 years I blogged at during the ’04 election. I don’t post with out checking out sources like Republicans For Obama first.

While Republicans For Obama may be a website that has good intentions, it doesn’t appear that afnighthawk’s intentions are above the fray.

The post clearly intimates that Republicans in Texas should vote for Obama in the primary to push Hillary Clinton out and then switch back in the General Election to vote for the Republican nominee.

7. Beachmom

“how else are we going to win in Novemeber if it isn’t with new voters apart from those who voted for Kerry in ‘04?”

More registered Democrats have turned out this primary season than did in ’04. It’s been exciting to see so many more voters get involved this year, particularly Dems and Independents.

But when someone, like “afnighthawk” who wrote the post quoted above attempts to rally Republicans to vote for Obama in the Texas primary for the sole purpose of pushing a valid Democratic candidate out of the race, I think there are some valid questions about whether more Republicans are doing the same thing across the country.

You should go back and read the post, I personally said nothing about Independents voting for Obama, nor did I question their motives in this post. I quoted “afnighthawk” using the term “Independents” in his post.

I’m not suspicious Beachmom, I am concerned that bringing in Republicans during the primary could back fire in the general election and with the Republican propensity to win at any length as we have seen in ’00 and ’04, I would think others would be concerned too.

Good for your sister, an Indendent who voted for Obama in the primary and will do the same in the general election.

It’s my understanding that both candidates have received votes from Independents and in all elections we see Independents voting for Dems and vice versa.

8. Texans who once were Democrats and went Republican are racists, and can stay on the dark side. I mean that’s an objective fact. Good old down south Texas Baptist, death penalty loving Republicans are never going to genuinely change into anything I’d want to be politically allied with.

9. JCitizen says:

Congratualations Pam,

Your vaunted experience in blogging seems to have led you to adopt the attitudes that we find in so many people who start worrying more about their image than in reality.

I.e. When you make a mistake you try to bs your way out of it, instead of admitting it, apologizing, and moving on.

The word is “hack”.

10. JCitzen

I am rarely rude here with commenters — but today I am no mood for your brand of Bull Shit — SCREW YOU AND YOUR ASSUMPTIONS. You don’t know jack shit about me.

The word for you is “asshole” and you are not welcome to comment here again.

11. I’m surprised that someone would come here just to be rude. I fail to see the point.

12. Darrell

Try reading the comments at Taylor Marsh if you want to see how rude Obama supporters are. Or Talk Left or Democratic Underground. It’s sickening and that’s one of the reasons I have maintained my support for HRC.

13. Pingback: A Hillary Supporter Considers Photogate*

14. Ben says:

FWIW, Limbaugh is on the air right now urging republicans in Texas and Ohio to vote for Hillary because she’s the weaker candidate to face in November.

15. Ben: With that old fool you can be sure that he has a motive, but not what it is. Maybe he wants Dems to believe that Sen. Obama is the stronger candidate because he thinks the opposite. Wingnuts couldn’t force themselves to vote for Sen. Clinton, no matter who said it, or under any justification.

16. There’s a new story in the news about Republicans voting for Obama in Texas that paln to switch back and vote for McCain. I’ll have a post up on it in a while.