Toxic Mentors

There’s a myth floating around Barack Obama’s campaign and his supporters that he “is running a positive campaign that will unite Americans.” It’s a myth… only a myth — Obama has always run a dirty campaign and now they have gone “from the curb to gutter to sewer.”

Clinton supporters and her campaign have pointed out time and time again that that is a myth.

The U.S. media may be unwilling to look deeply at Obama’s campaign, but international media is not so quick to give him a pass:

Long before Barack Obama launched his campaign for the White House, when he was considering a run for the US Senate in 2003, he paid an intriguing visit to a former Chicago sewers inspector who had risen to become one of the most influential African-American politicians in Illinois.

“You have the power to elect a US senator,” Obama told Emil Jones, Democratic leader of the Illinois state senate. Jones looked at the ambitious young man smiling before him and asked, teasingly: “Do you know anybody I could make a US senator?”

According to Jones, Obama replied: “Me.” It was his first, audacious step in a spectacular rise from the murky political backwaters of Springfield, the Illinois capital.

The exchange also sealed an intimate personal and political relationship that is likely to attract intense scrutiny amid the furore over Obama’s links to some of Chicago’s most controversial political and religious power brokers.

Back to the myth about Obama’s “positive campaign,” here’s some info to prove otherwise:

FACT: Barack Obama and his advisers have conducted a divisive “full assault” on Hillary’s character.

While talking a lot about the politics of hope, change and unity, Sen. Obama and his campaign have been conducting a relentless and singularly personal assault on Hillary’s character. They have blanketed big states with false negative mailers and radio ads and have described Hillary and her campaign as “disingenuous,” “divisive,” “untruthful,” “dishonest,” “polarizing,”calculating,” “saying whatever it takes to win,” “attempting to deceive the American people,” “one of the most secretive in America,” “deliberately misleading,” “literally willing to do anything to win,” and “playing politics with war.”

This “full assault” on Hillary’s integrity and character has reached a new peak since Hillary’s victories on March 4th. One of Sen. Obama’s top surrogates equated President Clinton with Joe McCarthy; another called Hillary a “monster;” and his campaign manager held an angry conference call claiming that Hillary is “deeply flawed” and has “character issues.” That’s neither unifying nor hopeful. If Sen. Obama really is the prohibitive favorite some say he is, these negative attacks make absolutely no sense. Why would a frontrunner seek to attack and divide? If Sen. Obama can’t unify Democrats in a primary, how can he unify Americans in a general election?

Obama’s campaign has played the reverse psychology thing to the hilt. They’ve twisted and spun and supporters have fallen for it hook, line and sinker. Some folks are waking up: “To Hillary supporters an apology from an Obama voter.” (h/t TM) And meanwhile… “Obama Blames Hillary: ‘She’s Just Trying to Tear Me Down’.”

12 Responses to Toxic Mentors

1. Pamela: thank you for those links to the character assassinations on Hillary from the Obama campaign. I have noticed that Hillary sticks to the issues and to the differences in policy and that the Obama campaign goes right to personal assaults but I never had so much ammunition before. Thank you! Great post!

2. Diane Elayne Dees says:

Obama is just as much a part of the Chicago political machine as Clinton is the DLC machine. Obama’s campaign stance,however, is a passive-aggressive one. He has been painted as “hopeful” and “honorable” and as a victim. But his supporters really trouble me. His campaign has created a mob mentality, and it wasn’t just the Texas caucus that was illegally taken over. There were complaints in the state of Washington–screaming Hillary suppporters down, changing the rules at the last minute, etc.–and I suspect in other states. We no longer need the Republican Party to mess with the election process, apparently.

And witness the way Clinton supporters have been run off or almost run off of so-called liberal websites and forums. Much of what the Obama campaign has done has been projected onto Clinton, who–already having an “evil” reputation, can then be smeared again, without anyone even examining the projection.

3. tjproudamerican says:

Poor Hillary!

4. Politicans are not true heroes, and I don’t think that true herores make effective politicians. The sooner we learn this the better. In politics we will always vote for the lesser of two evils, because they are all evil to some extent. The sooner we learn this the better. The best we can hope for is a politician who steals as much as possible while hurting us as little as possible. History has proven that this is always The Democratic Party candidate.

So be it.

5. Janis says:

To me, the part of this that makes me want to beat my head against the wall isn’t Obama’s toxic mentor. Honestly, I’ve said worse about men as a woman when I’ve gotten really pissed at sexism — and I’ve done it in public arenas. I haven’t been stupid enough to think that I’m still qualified to run for public office, though; I’ve explicitly thought to myself that I am completely incapable of doing so, and precisely for that reason. One session with Google will turn up enough gems to keep the opposite team’s campaign marketers busy for years.

But at any rate, I can understand Wright’s anger. What I can’t understand is how Obama thought it was okay to sit there and listen to it. I have a VERY ambitious and very well-qualified friend who shares my general opinions on sexism but who is also far more moderate than I am, and more moderate in her opinions and in how she expresses them. She wants to run for office someday, and she’ll make a great elected official. She’s so fair and truthful that if you show her one sock and ask her, “What color is the pair?” she’ll answer, “Well, that one’s blue, so I can infer the other one is too, but I can’t be sure until I see it.” And damn it, she knows enough to know that she has to keep her nose clean, even at this stage. That’s hardly calculating and cold; it’s reality.

Obama just flouted that — and the thing that really chaps my ass is how his supporters completely were caught off-guard by this. This is what we HRC supporters were talking about when we said that he hadn’t been examined closely enough! This was what we were talking about. Hillary’s skeletons have already been wrenched out of the closet; we’ve already seen the semen-stained blue dress up close a thousand times. It’s been done. It’s past tense. Obama provided to the pundits and the Rethuglicans a completely virgin, unturned field of shit to dig up. This Wright junk is only the first thing they found! What else is lurking under there?

Again, I’m not sure that the Wright thing is anything but the justified anger of one of society’s designated untermenschen, nor that I can disapprove without being a hypocrite. But damn it, did the Obama-bots not think there was shit like this in his past? How squeaky-clean did they think this guy was? When we said he hadn’t been subjected to scrutiny yet, this was what we meant. There’s all sorts of shit waiting to get dug up on this guy; the fact that the first piece of paydirt they hit was racially tinged was a fucking tragedy. But I can guarantee there are tons of conmpletely colorblind things waiting to get found out.

And the sad part is that I think that because Obama jumped the gun and put his name in before he was ready, before he had been tempered by the fire, he’s invalidated himself as a candidate in the future as well. People (including me) were saying that in 8 years, after he’s been bumped around a bit and ripened, he’ll be ready. But now? No way.

If he’d waited, this whole Wright thing would have been found out on the state level. State-level media would have been interested in it, and he could have thought carefuly and done calm damage control at his ease, dealt with it in a much quieter manner. But because he got impatient, it was dragged out into the full glare of the entire planet’s media — and it can’t be recovered from now. He’s stripped himself of any chances, because he had to jump the gun.

And why did he jump the gun? Because he figured that since his opponent for the nomination would be The Hated Medusa From Hell and a woman besides that his chances would never be better. 🙁 We may have gained Hillary in 2008 — and I can die happy on November 5th if that’s the case — but we lost Obama in 2016, which is a goddamned tragedy. That idiot. That damned, entitled, impatient idiot.

6. Janis says:

I should also state that the problem with Obama wasn’t that he had more shit in his field than anyone else — no more than me, at least in his opinions. His finances may be another matter simply because as someone who grew up with very little money, financial shenanigans were not an option for us.

But Obama doesn’t have any more garbage in his past than anyone else. The problem wasn’t that his field was dirtier than anyone else’s. The problem was that it was untilled, leaving a cornucopia of moss-covered stones to turn over.

Had he waited, those stones would have been turned over one by one, in relative private, and the gunk under them left to dry in the sun and dessicate long before a run for president would have made them of interest to anyone.

His past was and is not worse than anyone else, really — simply unexamined. But that’s enough in a presidential race, more than enough, as we’re seeing.

And like Cassandra, we HRC supportesr were hated by the Obama fans for constantly beinging up this uncomfortable, awful truth. Turn over your guy’s rocks next time before you call in the plows.

7. Eakarach says:

I think Obama is nothing more then a smooth talker,con artis,fraud,fake,phony,liar and a hypocrite candidate in the america history. I think white people need to wake up and realize that this guy is not who we think he is.

8. Janis says:

I fail to see what the adjective “white” adds to your statement.

9. steve cohn says:

Before the election, before Obama, over 40% of Americas polled questioned Hillary’s character, honesty and integrity.

Again, BEFORE anyone was running against voters questioned her character.

Those figures have not changed since she started this campaign. With or without campaigning against Obama, more than 40% of people out there don’t trust/like her.

Why is that?
    I appreciate your feelings about your candidate,. but you need to take a good, hard look in the mirror. The problem isn’t the who she’s running against, it’s her.

Again, why is it over 40% of those polled see Hillary in an unfavorable light?

I’m all ears.

10. Steve: Even as an Obama supporter, I can tell you that the 40% you refer to are screwed in the head, period. Hillary Clinton is not best for us at this time, in my opinion, but she is very far from the worst, and people who don’t understand this probably just plain never pay attention correctly to pretty much anything going on around them. They probably think that anything that doesn’t have themselves at the center of attention is somehow defective.

Sadly there’s just tons of people whose opinion just plain isn’t worth a shit.

11. John P says:

I love these blogs that paint their candidate as a saint and their opponent as…well…a sinner. Do you recall the phrase “Kitchen Sink”?? I believe that is what the Clinton team said they were going to throw at Obama prior to Ohio/Texas.

Truth be told–and apparently many here don’t want to hear it–the campaign has gotten dirty, one of the problems with it going on this long, and BOTH sides are dirty. Clinton is no saint, Obama isn’t either. Will it matter in the long run? Only if we become so toxic to each other that we can’t close ranks when this is over.

12. Janis says:

Sadly there’s just tons of people whose opinion just plain isn’t worth a shit.

Yeah, and they live in Florida and Michigan, and it’s Obama who told them that.