Will The Boss Step Up This Election Season

springsteen-hartford.jpgWill Bruce Springsteen step up this election season and get involved with a Democratic candidate or the nominee? I am dubious as to whether he will.

James Oliphant writes on The Swamp that Springsteen “put on a blistering two-hour and 30-minute show” last night in Columbus, Ohio and the “tight set from Springsteen and his E Street Band meant there was little time for Springsteen to do other thing he does best: talk about the state of the nation.”

One concert-goer there in the moderate Midwest said:

He’s liberal, he’s big into unions and all that,” he told his companion before the show began. “I hope he keeps politics out of it tonight.”

Oliphant notes, “Springsteen did — mostly.”

The only time he ventured into choppy waters was in his intro to the song “Livin’ in the Future,” in which he said that Bush administration policies such as rendition and the denial of habeas corpus to Guantanamo detainees was an attack on the Constitution and the rights of all Americans. That got him applause from, well, about half of the 20,000 people in the arena. (Welcome to the red-blue fault line.) “And I think someone’s been looking at my passport,” he joked.

Springsteen endorsed John Kerry in 2004 (after the Democratic Convention), performed at campaign events right before the general election and allowed Kerry to use “No Surrender,” as his campaign theme. But, Oliphant says, “this time around he hasn’t endorsed either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.”

Perhaps Oliphant doesn’t remember that Springsteen did not get involved with Kerry’s campaign until late in the election season and perhaps he is unaware that Springsteen had never endorsed a candidate before Kerry. Which is why I think Springsteen will sit this one out, at least until after the Convention and the nominee is decided.

Oliphant goes on to say:

This is what Springsteen told USA Today last month:

In the current race, “there are two really good Democratic candidates for president. I admire and respect them both enough to wait and see what happens.”

He did, however, express admiration for Obama, saying: “I always look at my work as trying to measure the distance between American promise and American reality. And I think (Obama’s) inspired a lot of people with that idea: How do you make that distance shorter? How do we create a more humane society? We’ve lived through such ugly times that people want to have a romance with the idea of America again, and I think they need to.

“The hard realities and how things get done are important, too, but if you can effectively convince people that it’s possible to make things better, they get excited,” the 58-year old singer-songwriter said.

Obama, for his part, has mentioned Springsteen as the person he would most like to meet. So, is it possible that Bruce could pull a Bill Richardson and throw a high-profile endorsement Obama’s way as Obama’s supporters seek to put pressure on Clinton to drop from the race for the good of the party?

The only hint Springsteen gave was after “Livin’ in the Future.” Taking a page from a famous 60s folk song, he shouted, “There’s a new wind blowing!”

Then, he launched into the redemptive anthem “The Promised Land,” which includes lyrics such as:

There’s a dark cloud rising from the desert floor
I packed my bags and I’m heading straight into the storm
Gonna be a twister to blow everything down
That ain’t got the faith to stand its ground
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenheartedThe dogs on main street howl,
’cause they understand,
If I could take one moment into my hands
Mister, I ain’t a boy, no, I’m a man,
And I believe in a promised land
I believe in a promised land…

The question remains: Who represents the Promised Land, Clinton or Obama?

Here at The Dem Daily, we lean towards Hillary Clinton representing the “Promised Land” but the fact is either Clinton or Obama will take us to a far better place than John McCain.

My hope, my wish is to see more unity among the party and members of the progressive blogosphere as we still fight out who will become our nominee. My hope, my wish is that we all remember we working towards the progressive vision of the “Promised Land,” by electing a Democrat to the White House. That’s the prize. Let’s keep our eyes on the prize.

The Promised Land:

19 Responses to Will The Boss Step Up This Election Season

1. Pingback: Will The Boss Step Up This Election Season | Barack Obama Chronicles

2. Pingback: Will The Boss Step Up This Election Season | Hillary Clinton Chronicles

3. Jean says:

I am upset with Sen Clinton remarks about basing her judgement of Rev Wright. on these sound bites and that therefore she wouldn’t have him as her minister. Apparently he means a lot t to a lot of people. She could have tried to bring people together and give Sen Obama respect for the courage of his great speech. Only together can we put a stop to the garbage that is going on in the democratic primary. But instead she tried relight the controveresy. She is no leader. Is this how she wants to win the primary?

4. Janis says:

Jean, what would you have had her say, short of, “I’m so terribly sorry for getting in the way of this great man and being so selfish as to run a campaign of my own, I’m totally sorry, I will step down immediately and vote for Obama as king of the world?”

She said the simply truth — she disagreed, and she wouldn’t have chosen him as her minister. Period. Obama did, and he was very wrong to do so. Deal with it.

“Is this how she wants to win the primary?

By working her backside off getting all those people to vote for her? That cunning witch, how dare she.

He stepped into that particular cowpat all on his own; there is no way in hell you can possibly spin Wright’s comments and the deserved backlash Obama’s facing for them as her fault. Not in a sane universe. He’s to blame for that one. 150%.

5. Janis says:

And FWIW, I hope the Boss steps back. Much as I appreciate Elton John’s concert for Hillary, I like my entertainers to entertain and otherwise STFU. :-}

6. Let’s be honest! Most folks who now support Sen. Obama believe that Sen. Clinton would not be where she is today if the earlier voters had had the benefit of the full story. And only a fool or a zealot would not agree that the thinking goes equally in the other direction.

In other words, it’s possible to argue that not only Florida and Michigan voters are in danger of being disenfranchised. According to this line of thinking, all of us are! And the only clear remedy possible, then, is a do over for all of us, not just Florida and Michigan.

But let’s go really democratic this time. Let’s throw the decision strictly to the voters. Or at least the call in voters.

Screw the Convention (except for the theatrics, because the publicity is too valuable to pass up). Anyway, let’s pattern this thing after American Idol. Toll free numbers, computer vote tabulations, phones open for a clear window. Vote as often as you want and no controls on who can participate because helping vote through the weak ones is as important to getting the right Idol into the winners spotlight as any other tactic. Besides any who fear the rough and tumble of no holds barred politics probably need to stick to dominoes anyway.

7. Janis says:

BTW this is really really really unfortunately very quite funny here:

I have no idea who these people are, and I suspect that I’d run in fear from their politics elsewhere, but that is beyond hilarious nevertheless.

“On to Washington! Which we will change in unspecified ways!”

8. Jean says:

This is a pretty sad picture of the democratic party from this web site. Sorry you feel that way Janis

9. Janis says:

Darrell, the voters have HAD the benefit of having gotten her every gaffe and skeleton flapped in front of our faces for FIFTEEN YEARS, starting back when I got out of grad school, okay? We’ve seen every damned nosepick and luncheon belch and supposed flip-flop over and over until we want to SCREAM.

And we still like her. Deal with it, okay?

10. Janis says:

What’s said, Jean? The fact that Hillary can’t possibly have repudiated Wright’s comments in a way that made you happy unless she showed Obama the back of her neck?

She’s in this to win. He says he has a 50-state strategy, well … he’s got himself a 50-state contest.

11. Janis says:

What’s sad, sorry for the typo …

12. Jean says:

It is sad that you have such anger at Sen Obama within the democratic party and you can’t recognize a great leadership effort.

13. Jean

It’s sad that some progressives think we should all support the same candidate when the nominee has yet to be chosen. Perhaps if Obama supporters stopped telling Clinton supporter what they should do or think, we’d all be finding more common ground.

14. Janis says:

“It’s sad that … you can’t recognize a great leadership effort.”

You took the words right out of my mouth.

15. Janis says:

BTW, Jean — feel free to answer the question. How could Clinton have responsed when asked about Rev. Wright in such a way as to make you notgo all “more in sorrow than in anger” on her?

Just answer it. It’s a very simple question. What would you have had her say?

16. Jean says:

Sen. Obama had the courage to address the racial divide in this Country and tried to explain where people are coming from – the pain, the frustration. Sen. Clinton would really have impressed me if she came out and supported Sen. Obama against these attacks, as a fellow democrat. She should realize that Rev.Wright is not just Sen Obama pastor but also of a church with quite a lot of parishers. He was in service for 30 years so one ( Sen. Clinton for one) would think that there is more to this person. The great pride of the democrats is the diveristy of the candidates and members so any attack based on race or gender misconceptions should be dennounced as democratic policy and out of pride. Fight over policy not over values we all share.

17. Jean

You’ve been coming here for a long time, first as a supporter of John Kerry, now as an Obama supporter. Do you share the values that Wright espoused in those videos? Obama himself said he did not, yet you defend the man simply because Hillary Clinton spoke out against him?

FYI — Barack Obama would have impressed me if he spoke out against the sexist crap coming from the media about Clinton. Has he done that? NO. Why, it doesn’t serve his campaign to do so – that’s why. Both Obama and Clinton are running their campaigns to win and Obama has been no saint.

18. Jessica says:

I think I get what you’re trying to say Jean and if you don’t mind I’ll answer the question Janis posed. Hillary had a couple choices in response:

1). She could have declined to answer the question as she had been doing since the story broke.

2). She could have said that she understands how it is to have a flawed person in your life who you love and who has done more good than harm. This accomplishes two things for her: first, she keeps above the fray and second, she elegantly acknowledges that despite Bill’s imperfections as a human being, he accomplished a lot of good as President.

All that said, what Hillary said was not out of bounds rhetorically.
    She is a very smart woman and a more than capable politician and the fact she decided to answer the question this time is fair to point out because it was a tactical shift. This is a hard fought nomination and she’s under no obligation to make things easier for her opponent. Hillary, like Obama, is doing what is in her interest to win and clearly she believes reminding people of this story works for her. I think it’s a mixed bag now but who knows how it will play out.

19. Jessica: Insightful! Thanks.