California Gets It Right Again

California overwhelmingly voted to support Hillary Clinton back on Super Tuesday I. Now, voters in California’s 12th Congressional District voted overwhelmingly to send Jackie Speier to Washington, giving her over 75% of the total votes.

If you don’t know who Jackie is, you should. Here’s her campaign website. If I couldn’t get a Clinton/Clark ticket, my next choice would be Clinton/Speier. Really. People like Jackie are why I’m a Democrat in the first place.

7 Responses to California Gets It Right Again

1. Janis says:

I’m often quite proud of being a California — not always. That hateful marriage thing had me so angry I was spitting nails. But in general? Yeah, I like being here, even with the insane housing.

2. Gilbert Martinez says:

I’m particularly happy with my county, which went to Hill by about 15 points.

The thing that bothers me most about CA, though, is the legislation by initiative that has run rampant. It pigeon-holes legislators and creates havoc. And its so easily manipulated if you have someone to bankroll ya.

3. atdleft says:

HORRAY!! I’ve always been a HUGE fan of Jackie Speier, and I’m so glad to see her go to Congress! I don’t even live in the Bay Area, but just that’s enough to put a BIG smile on my face. 🙂

4. atdleft says:

Gilbert-

Hehe. I’m usually not all that excited about my county’s voting behaviors (yes, I live behind “The Orange Curtain”), but I was so excited to see all our hard work pay off in February when Hillary carried OC by about 17%. We actually have sizable working-class Latino and Asian-American populations in the central part of the county (which happens to be the most Democratic area between LA and San Diego), and it warmed my heart to see all my neighbors turn out en masse to vote and help Hill win.

Oh yes, and agreed on the initiatives. It’s just CRAZY down here. Already, the right-wing nuts want to put a constitutional amendment banning marriage equality on the GE ballot. Also, it already looks like we may get dueling eminent domain initiatives for the June primary. Sometimes, I really wonder if I should just vote “NO” on all these initiatives until we finally get an initiative to ban all future initiatives to qualify for the ballot. hehe 😉

5. Janis says:

Oh yeah, the initiatives are just freaking buckpassing. The damned elected officials don’t want to do their jobs because frankly, the easiest way to annoy someone in power is to actually take a stand on something.

6. Gilbert Martinez says:

atd, I’ve long wanted to film a documentary about trying to get a ballot initiative to ban ballot initiatives.

In truth, I don’t so much mind the initiative concept but I think a higher threshold should be required. I like the idea of a 50% of registered voters threshold instead of a 50% + 1 of those who turnout. Upping the threshold would probably weed out a lot of spurious initiatives and make room for initiatives that have broader public support.

7. Last October, I attended a fund raiser for Hillary at a beautiful estate in Hillsborough. Jackie Spear introduced Hillary at this event. This was the first time I had met Jackie, although I knew of her and her work.

It was such a pleasure to be there. Jackie made the whole event such fun. And when she introduced Hillary, she told a story of greeting Hillary when Hillary stepped out of her car. Jackie said: “Just the way the sun was shining on her face, I suddenly got chills, and I realized, Wow, she is going to make it. I’m greeting the next president of the United States.”

Well, I got chills too, and I’ve never forgotten that moment. When Hillary walked into the garden and the crowd stood up, I knew, too, that I was greeting the next president of the united States. I’ve never waivered from believing that. Jackie Spier was right on, and I’m delighted to see her success.