Ouch: $100 Fill-ups Arrive at Gas Pumps

I don’t drive a lot — thank goodness. But, the ever rising gas prices have me thinking I will be driving even less. CNN reports today:

The $100 fill-up has arrived in the United States.

art_gas1_cnn.jpgIf it’s not in your area yet… It will be soon.

As regular readers know, I live in the Los Angeles area, and gas prices have been higher here in California than other areas across the country for quite some time now.

CNN confirms the ugly facts:

California is home to the nation’s highest average gas price, $3.87 for regular unleaded; diesel is pushing $4.43 a gallon, according to Troy Green, with AAA.

San Francisco is the most expensive city, averaging $3.97 a gallon. However, a drive around the city shows many stations have jumped over $4.

The national average for regular unleaded is $3.53 and rising daily. Last year at this time, it was $2.86 per gallon. According to AAA, 24 states and the District of Columbia are averaging at or above $3.50 a gallon for regular unleaded. The state with the lowest gas is New Jersey, at $3.34 per gallon.

Adding insult to pocketbook injury:

Green says Americans should expect the price to increase another 25 cents over the next month and continue to climb over the summer months.

“A national average approaching $4 a gallon should not be ruled out by consumers later this year,” he says.

The high gas prices just make it harder for the average person to get by. That’s the bottom-line.

This year’s record high gas prices — coupled with a slow economy and the mortgage crisis — have had a cascading effect. A person making $9 an hour needs to work nearly seven hours just to pay for 15 gallons at $4 a gallon, according to CNN.com’s gas calculator.

“It seems many American consumers are being hard hit from multiple directions, and their overall budgets are being maxed to the limit,” Green says.

As for California, Green adds, “It’s unbelievable out there.”

One person interviewed at the pumps had the right idea:

Nearby, Dolly Sarlo fills up her black Mercedes. She says it’s time for Americans to “vote with your dollars and to stop using gas” and use public transportation more.

“That would really, very quickly bring down the price,” she says.

The clear choice to me for voting with your “dollars” is to vote for Hillary Clinton. John McSame is just basically 4 – 8 more years of BushCo.

18 Responses to Ouch: $100 Fill-ups Arrive at Gas Pumps

1. Janis says:

It would be nice if there were any usable public transit near me. *sigh* That’s one of the most significant things I miss from living near Phila. TRAINS. Goddamned commuter trains.

2. Gilbert Martinez says:

I bike to work so I have very little reason to drive. It’s usually over a month between fill-ups for me so it’s always a shock when I have to put gas. I haven’t had to fill up since its topped $4 where I live. not looking forward to that. And I’ve also noticed that groceries cost noticeably more now as well. Sigh.

3. Gilbert

I’ve noticed the rise in food prices too. Most of the supplies I use for my business have also gone up. I read today that along with a shortage of staples like rice there is also a shortage in vegetable oils looming which isn’t at all good for my industry.

4. Janis

No commuter buses either?

5. john stone says:

I live in Iowa and our cheapest gas is ethanol at $3.35 a gallon, the next unleaded is $3.47 a gallon. I predicted this when Bush- Cheney Inc. STOLE THEIR FIRST ELECTION in 2000!!

6. John Stone

I wonder if we should all move to Iowa where gas is cheaper?

I’m thinking I may need to trade my car again and this time get a hybrid.

7. Janis says:

Nope — I’m 35 miles away from work on some very ugly freeways. Honestly, my only hope (and the day may come) is to move closer to work. But I love where I’m living, damn it! And I love my job.

*sigh*

*bleeds another $40 into my tank*

I once tried to find out how I could get to work on commuter rail and buses, and it worked out to a three and a half hour commute that would drop me off 5 miles frmo where I had to be. 😛

8. Janis

“I once tried to find out how I could get to work on commuter rail and buses, and it worked out to a three and a half hour commute”

What an ugly commute that would be by public transporation.

Years ago when I was still out in the work force and not self employed, I went with out a car for while – it sucked. I took the bus to work. The 5 mile or so distance from my apartment to my job took over 30 minutes.

9. john stone says:

Pamela,

Iowa gas prices may be lower, but they are at their highest point ever and it is scary. I am afraid it will cripple our already struggling economy. Early in 2000 I told people if Bush became President he would have us in a war, that he would ruin our economy and we would have super high gas prices. It all came true. Also I know that I am only one of many that predicted this. One thing you can say about Bush, he is consistent, he always does the wrong thing!

10. John Stone

It already is crippling the economy. Everything from food to travel is affected. Small business are paying more for supplies and goods and that effects that the consumers. It’s a freaking mess! And as you know I have been complaining about the economy here since I started this blog. It sucks – it worse than sucks and yes, it’s scary.

11. Janis says:

It’s also important to keep in mind (although this is like preaching to the choir), that there is a finite amount of gas on the planet. Someday, we will extract the last barrel of oil frmo the ground, period. There will be a last gallon of gasoline, no matter how thrifty our cars get at squeezing as much mileage as possible out of it. Sooner or later, we’ve got to have a society that uses something else to get around, that doesn’t feed a nation of people from three warehouses of food that then needs to be trucked across a continent to arrive at stores, that cranks up the A/C during the summer until we need freaking sweaters inside restaurants in August, and that lives and works in disparate places.

It jsut worries me when we see gas prices go up — a lot of it is gouging by Bush’s cronies, but the rarer the stuff gets, the more expensive it gets, and sooner or later, the barter-only gallon of gasoline wile be upon us. We need to move around less, eat closer to home (where possible), and be content to be a little warmer in the summer than we’re used to. I know that’s harder in certain places in the country; I lived through 23 Augusts in Philadelphia in a house with no A/C, so I can sympathize, but we just can’t do this anymore.

It’s interesting how much of modern life is predicated on keeping things artificially colder than they should be …

12. Janis

All good points. When I was a kid in MA, we had a huge garden and that sustained us for many months. My parents were raised during the depression and they were both very conscious about being frugal. So too am I. I’d love to take a trip back east to see friends and family — air fares are on the rise and travel is nightmare. It’s not an option. So too, I will have to look at taking a few less 1 hour drives to the beach this summer — which will pain me greatly.

I can’t imagine why some people don’t wake up and smell the coffee — before it’s too late and coffee becomes another thing we’re short on thanks to rising gas prices and food shortages.

13. john stone says:

Gas prices in Iowa just went up , ethanol is now $3.45 a gallon and the next unleaded is $3.58 a gallon. Thanks Bush and Cheney , AKA the Texaco twins!

14. John

I have to go out later and I know I need gas – I will report the ugly news here later on what I paid.

15. YvonneCa says:

Hi, all! Great discussion on gas prices.

The thing that irks me the most is when MSM talking heads keep asking, “How high will prices have to go before people start driving less?” They talk as if it’s a choice to be driving. I get that we should cut down, carpool, use public transportation, etc. But most people I know drive to work…that’s it. They long ago stopped driving for vacations…it’s too expensive.

Most people where I live bought here (Temecula) because they couldn’t afford the exhorbitant prices in San Diego and Los Angeles. But many work in San Diego and Los Angeles…so they commute. My commute is 70 miles, one way. The gas bill under Bush has TRIPLED.

So, here’s how people are dealing: 1) They need the job, so they pay the bills and scrimp on other necessities (food?). 2) They rent out their house (if they can) and move closer to work. 3) They walk away from their foreclosed house (there are 4 like that on my cul-de-sac). 4) Or…if they are lucky and can retire (like me)…they hang it up and stop buying gas altogether.

And I am luckier than most to be able to do that. So many of my neighbors have left.

So I think the MSM need to ask a different question. Not “How high until people learn to conserve?”…but “What are these gas prices doing to families …families already under great pressure due to the housing crisis? ” And when we get an answer, we need to help them.

16. DATELINE: Tucson

Just drove well over 400 miles from The OC, in So. Cal. Cheapest gas (unleaded) was $3.27 in AZ. They have a lower gas tax. Highest I saw, didn’t use, was unleaded at $4.05 in ARIZONA. Relatively more of those stations in California.

My fillup’s were in the $60 range with a 20mpg vehicle. (Nissan Crew Cab rental Pickup…not the high miler I wanted.)

The bigger fear I didn’t see mentioned above is the impact on freight transportation in the United States. The independent trucker is being driven out of business and the companies aren’t far behind.

Truckers in general were some of the early adopters of wireless net communication. They are organizing at high speed across the US. There have been small demonstrations in a couple of cities.

There is talk of a multi-day freight strike across the US. If that happens the US economy can last perhaps a week. Personally I’d bet less than 4 days.

This would be a very real demonstration of the reality that everything moves by truck. My friends in the horse transportation business could be put out of business if diesel prices go much higher. They’ve already paid as much as $4.89 per gallon. No, you didn’t misread that…$4.89 per gallon.

We must move to a carbon free economy. Oil, of any sort, from any place is a finite resource as noted above.

Helluva time.

17. Peace Out For Unity says:

Clinton says let’s place a moratorium on the nations strategic oil reserves ! On Larry King she says,there is more President Bush could be doing and went into detail on what she would do ! Hook your horse up to the parking meter and pay four quarters. Remember the days gas was 50 cent and when it went to a dollar? $20.00 to get a half of tank in a Mazda Miata. $50.00 to fill it up and I don’t know how they will afford to drive the trucks. Natural gas,Geo,Solar agenda and Clinton’s on it !

18. I filled the tank tonight — $54. Paid $3.83 a gallon for regular – the premium was $4.05. Down the street another gas station was .02 cents a gallon higher — same company – Shell.