It’s Not About White Voters, Quit lying

Obama has yet to show he can consistently win a majority of racial groups beyond African Americans. He’s loses Hispanics and Asian Americans in addition to white voters, by similar 65-35 margins. Three separate races are voting for Hillary Clinton, and by similar numbers. One race is voting for Barack Obama, and in near unanymity. I don’t begrudge them that, and have even stated that I’m symphathetic.

I agree Obama and the lefty blogs are ignoring The Problem. But this is not a black and white thing. We need to stop lying about that. Has anyone bothered to ask if it’s an experience problem for the other three races, rather than a “black problem”? Obama could be white, brown, or pink and I still would never support him in a primary because he has no experience and has stated publicly that he was too busy running for president than to do his job as committee chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Europe (after decrying what is happening in Afghanistan, which is under his NATO oversight). The Wright issue doesn’t bother me and has no basis in my lack of any confidence in Obama’s leadership abilities.

I’m tired of the subtle attempts to paint me as a racist because I think its a joke that Obama wasn’t laughed off the stage. I didn’t think John Edwards was sufficiently experienced to be president either and he was second to the bottom on my list of Dem candidates.

17 Responses to It’s Not About White Voters, Quit lying

1. Mark says:

Hi All: Thank you for the post, Gilbert. I, too, do not begrudge identity voting. However, people get dinged all the time for being “sexist” if they want to vote for Clinton based on gender identification. You can’t have it both ways, not ding African Americans for such heavy identity voting, but ding others for identity voting for Clinton. I guess it is the “Clinton Rules.”

By the way, it is African American identity voting on its face until proven otherwise. No other person of any kind of level of experience or ethnicity has received upwards to 92% of the black vote.

Also, the idea that a block of African Americans would choose to boycott the Democrats based on an outcome that would not represent the popular vote is just plain adolescent.

Clinton is not out until the Florida and Michigan votes are or are NOT counted. If they are NOT counted, will that same block of black voters boycott due to the anti-democracy of such an action by the DNC? Hmmm… something to think about.

You can’t have it both ways. Ask for democracy in the superdelegates but don’t ask for democracy for the voters.

2. Gilbert Martinez says:

Clinton nor her supporters can do anything to satisfy the blogger boyz or the MSM. No point in trying.

3. Pug says:

Have you ever considered that Obama’s “problem” is that he was running against a formidable opponent with the last name Clinton in a Democratic primary?

Do you presume that he will also lose these groups 65-35 against John McCain? If so, then it is simply a race problem because his policy positions are a lot closer to Hillary Clinton’s than they are to John McCain’s.

4. soona says:

Let me disagree about the wright thing. his first reaction when it came out was to run. It seemed like a visceral reaction to hide and not to stand his grounds and face the problem. What kind of a commander in chief is that. Not to mention the childish denial(I ididn’t know). I don’t know about every one but to me that was disgusting cowardise and can’t get over why it is overlooked, because in itself and by itself is a reason to dismiss him.

5. Gilbert Martinez says:

I’m sorry, but a guy who outspends 2,3,4 to 1 and gets 90% positive press can no longer use Hillary’s “name” as a whiny rebuttal. Experience will be an issue.

There are very few “casual” Hillary supporters I know that think Obama will be an effective president. Even the one’s who don’t have animosity toward him. They don’t buy his promises and don’t think he will be able to deliver on much. They view him as dangerous because he’s so inexperienced and while they may not be opposed to his policies, they are opposed to him. POTUS is not the same as electing class president. Results and trust matter. Without a resume it’s hard to trust, the biggest difference for those who support Hillary over Obama, from most of my interactions.

In my view, I think Obama will rival Dukakis. There is too much anti-GOP sentiment to rival Mondale. But who knows. The last Dem we had who ran on his narrative was a legit war hero with oodles more experience than Obama and he was turned into a coward, traitor who couldn’t be relied on to do anything.

Also, Dems lost in both 2000 and 2004 because they didn’t perform as well as they had in the past among women and Hispanics. “Creative class” came out in droves in 2004 and Kerry still got beat because he couldn’t pull sufficient margins in those two demos. All the fancy stats and projects can be broken down to those two. A few points more in both (as Hillary would easily accomplish) and rather than a narrow Bush win, you have a healthy Bush loss. Obama will do slightly worse in both groups, leading to a healthy McCain win. Obama’s support among younger folk has already waned considerably according to turnout from exit polls.

6. Diane says:

The “Wright thing” does bother me. It bothers me because Wright has made it clear that he does not believe women are especially oppressed or violated. Though I hate to see Wright used as a racist weapon against Obama, nothing can change the fact that Wright demeans women. For that matter, so does the famous leader whom Wright idolizes.

7. Gilbert:

The numbers speak for themselves. More people have voted for Sen. Obama than for Sen. Clinton. A heck of a lot of folks who are not black are inckuded in that number. Account for that, please.

8. Kendall Johnson says:

We are screwed with Obama, but the party will give it to him to pasify the blacks at the expense of the rest of us, even if they know he will lose in the fall. The party and the media hobbled Clinton from the start!!!! Its a testiment to her spirit and determination that she has come this far. I think it was deliberate on the part of the DNC. They disenfranched Florida and Michigan just to screw Senator Clinton. Their media allies have “swift Boated” her with a maximim dose of misogyny.

I don’t think they care about winning the presidency, They are more interested in their own internal power struggle within the party. We really need to clean house and vote a lot of these people out!!!!! They don’t care about the people or about what is best for the country.

Today, I heard CNN saying that Obama is making the case to SDs that he can win florida, and Navada in the general election!!! What Bull Sh*t!!!!! I almost fell off my chair when I heard John King say that that was the Obama campaigns argument.

9. coldH2Owi says:

If you support this:

“I have a much broader base to build a winning coalition on,” she said in an interview with USA TODAY. As evidence, Clinton cited an Associated Press article “that found how Sen. Obama’s support among working, hard-working Americans, white Americans, is weakening again, and how whites in both states who had not completed college were supporting me.”

“There’s a pattern emerging here,” she said.

Then you are quacking like a duck.

10. coldh2owi

She’s citing the exit polls which show Obama’s support weakening in certain sectors of voters. Is that a crime to state that? If you think it is you are the one quacking.

11. coldH2Owi says:

Stop the euphemisms – she’s talking about white voters, not “certain sectors of voters.” Why are you so afraid to say white people & Sen. Clinton in the same breath? As an aside, I sure hope Mr. Gilbert isn’t writing an economics thesis, if you know what I mean?

12. Gilbert Martinez says:

Thanks for “answering” my “concern” with a non sequitor, Darrell. That seems to be a pattern among Obama supporters. My point was that this is not a black and white issue today. If you want to say that all races are racist except blacks, fine. But the Obama narrative is turning this into to a “white working class” = racist narrative. I reject that. While it may be true, in principle, the data suggest otherwise.

Obama has not won the non-African American demographic since March (excluding Guam, which was a caucus)–two months. Take out African American voters from OH, TX, PA, NC, IN and what would the score be? Before the tired calls of racism are shouted, I’ll say again, the AA community deserves kudos for exercising such political muscle. But that doesn’t change the fact that Obama is winning based off universal support from one racial demographic. He’s been losing all others for two months now. I propose that is because he has no experience and that will be what leads to a Dukakis (at best) performance in November.

13. Pingback: Clinton Campaign Links Electability to Skin Color « Liberty Street

14. Gilbert Martinez says:

I don’t need to justify my record on racial equality or academic ability to you. But thank you for your concern. Feel free to share your concerns about my academic integrity with my thesis committee. I’m meeting with them soon.

15. coldH2Owi says:

As usual, you miss my point Mr. Gilbert. I was referring to the Clinton campaign making fun of any sort of academic excellence. Remember, populist Sen. Clinton & her loony Republican endorsed gas tax holiday. I’m sure you read about. It’s too bad that you are so defensive about your academic excellence & work. I do think, however, that your support of Sen. Clinton & her white voters does allow me to demand of you that you repudiate the obvious racism implicit in her remarks. As an ex-academic I too, know that words really do count, really do mean something. Plus, I meant it as a light jibe. She’s the one who, pardon the expression, threw the folks with doctorates under the bus. Good luck with your thesis defense. I’m sure you’ll do fine.

16. coldh2owi

Stop with the personal swipes against writers here.

17. coldH2Owi says:

Why is it that you only defend Gilbert? He makes fun of D. Prows, a regular around here & you let it slide.

I wasn’t attacking Mr. Gilbert, I was just asking him do to what his candidate, Sen. Clinton asked of Sen. Obama – renounce the racism. If he can’t do that, what kind of a Democrat is he, for crying out loud. I’m asking him to be fair, & you know it too. I didn’t make up those words, those are Sen. Clinton’s own words, & any objective person will see that race/racism is exactly what she’s talking about, particularly since she’s campaigning in Kentucky & West Virginia. I’m not putting down the voters in those states, I’m just stating that racism isn’t dead & pandering to those low human instincts is wrong.

& I do hope he does well on his thesis. I just hope he understands what Sen. Clinton thinks of academics. Again, her words, not mine. Please, everybody has warts, I’ve got my share. By continuing this adulation of Sen. Clinton, as if she is the messiah, with no warts, doesn’t help the party one single bit.