Support for Hillary Endures

As Howard Wolfson noted this morning support for Hillary Clinton’s candidacy endures with “several members of Congress” releasing a letter today to “other Democrats touting their support for Hillary, saying she is the strongest candidate to have at the top of the ticket in the fall”:

“[W]e are convinced that Hillary Clinton has the vision, skills and commitment to make the changes our country needs.  As Democrats who have run and won in competitive Congressional districts and battleground states, we believe that Hillary is best positioned to successfully lead the Democratic ticket in districts and states like ours around the country.”

The text of the letter is below:

Dear Fellow Democrat,

We are writing to you because of our shared belief in our Party’s principles and our commitment to ensuring that we have the strongest possible nominee to lead our ticket against John McCain and the Republicans in November.

The decision about who to support to be our Party’s nominee is not one that any of us should take lightly. We haven’t. But, after giving this important decision a great deal of thought, we are convinced that Hillary Clinton has the vision, skills and commitment to make the changes our country needs. As Democrats who have run and won in competitive Congressional districts and battleground states, we believe that Hillary is best positioned to successfully lead the Democratic ticket in districts and states like ours around the country.

As you know, Hillary has racked up victories in bellwether states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and now Indiana that are absolutely vital to winning the White House and maintaining our Congressional majority in the fall. Hillary has won the big battleground states by connecting with voters whose support we must have to win the general election. Her victories in Pennsylvania and Indiana were all the more impressive after being outspent by as much as two or three to one.

Pennsylvania was not just a victory for Hillary Clinton. It was also a wake- up call for superdelegates, forcing us to ask ourselves two essential questions: 1) Which candidate can carry the magic 270 electoral votes to win in the fall? 2) Which candidate is most likely to help our fellow Democrats in down-ballot races? We believe the answer to both of these questions is Hillary Clinton.

On the first question, Hillary has shown she can win the all-important battleground states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida even while being outspent. This speaks to her ability to connect with voters we must deliver in the fall, including blue collar Democrats who can sway this election as they have in the past.

On the second question, Hillary has won rural and suburban districts which we as Democrats must carry to maintain our edge in Congress. Of the fifteen districts rated “toss up” by the Cook Political Report, Hillary has now won ten. Of the 20 districts we picked up in 2006 that had gone for President Bush just two years before, Hillary has now won 16. She is strong in the places we must win to hold and expand our majority.

This is a historically close race. The candidates are separated by a mere percentage point or two and the path to victory for each candidate is the same: win in the upcoming states and secure enough pledged and automatic delegates to get to the number required to win the nomination.

The race now turns to the remaining six contests where the focus will be squarely on the economy. Voters in our states and across the country are voting on issues that affect them, their communities and their children’s future. We believe that they will decide that Hillary is the candidate who best understands those issues and has the best solutions to address them.

We Democrats are justifiably proud of both of our candidates, and if Senator Obama is our Party’s nominee, we will enthusiastically support him. But our responsibility is not to choose simply to support the eventual nominee; it is to help select the nominee who is best for our party and best for our country. Our choice is clear: Hillary Clinton is that candidate. We believe she should be your choice as well.

Thank you for consideration.

Rep. Michael Arcuri (NY-24)

Rep. Shelley Berkley (NV-01)

Rep. Marion Berry (AR-1)

Rep. Henry Cuellar (TX-28)

Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand (NY-20)

Rep. Gene Green (TX -29)

Rep. John Hall (NY-19)

Rep. Darlene Hooley (OR-5)

Rep. Kendrick B. Meek (FL-17)

Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (OH-11)

Rep. Silvestre Reyes (TX-16)

Rep. Mike Ross (AR-4)

Rep. Joe Sestak (PA-8)

Rep. Ike Skelton (MO-4)

Rep. John Tanner (TN-8)

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (FL-20)

Hillary Clinton also “received the endorsement of automatic delegate and Congressman Chris Carney (D-PA).”

15 Responses to Support for Hillary Endures

1. Diana says:

You know I think im done with the Democratic Party because it looks like for two elections in a row we are picking the wrong candidate, the weaker candidate. I swallowed my pride and voted for weak ass kerry in 2004, the first year I was eligible to vote, and I was disappointed with that vote because I knew he would lose because he was to weak. Today I get that same feeling from Obama. I know that he will lose the general election to McCain. I can no longer belong to a party who disrespects the only democrat who has won re-election since FDR. I cannot stay in a party that disenfranchises millions of voters and i cannot stay in a party i just dont have much faith in anymore. I will from now on be an independant voter until my party returns to what it used to be.

2. Diana

I proudly worked for John Kerry’s campaign from August ’03 through the general election. For all intents and purposes it’s quite likely that Kerry won as Gore did, but thanks to BushCo the election was rigged.

Obama can very plausibly win in November, but as long as members of the Democratic party cast doom amd gloom and refuse to support him because the nominee of their choice isn’t chosen, it will be all that much harder.

Maybe instead of thinking of voting for the nominee that might not be your choice, as “swallowing your pride” as you did last time, you might actually consider how damn important it is to stand strong and support the nominee.

3. Kendall A. Johnson says:

I agree with you!!!!! The democratic party has disrespected both Clintons horrifically. Bill Clinton is the only Dem president who has had two terms since FDR and yet they call him names and treat him like shit,. It is unbelievable!!!!

Furthermore, that weak Karry is one of them who leads the pack in trashing the Clintons. I wasted my vote on Kerry too in 2004. After the way he has disrespected Hillary, I wouldn’t vote for him if he was running for dog catcher!!!!And n,o I won’t vote For Obama either. I’m becoming an inependant too.

Besides the democratic party takes the female vote for granted and now they want to throw us under the bus for the blacks and make Obama the nominee. I guess the fact that we represent about 58% of the democratic electorate doesn’t matter. They will throw us under the bus for the blacks who represent less than 20%. So like Yoko Ono said “women are the nigggers of the earth”, and the boys lake Kerry have no problem making us sit at the back of the bus!!!!!!!!1

4. Kendall

I know John Kerry — he’s no sexist — with 2 strong independent daughters and a wife like Teresa Heinz Kerry the notion is ludicrous — add to that a woman as his campaign manager in ’04, clearly you are not thinking straight. The bottom line is, as I already told Diana above, he’s got a right to support whoever he pleases in this election, just as you and I do.

Although I am supporting Hillary Clinton in this primary, had Kerry run, I would have been on his team in a second — in fact I was until he decided not to run.

There are plenty of longtime Kerry supporters on this blog who still admire and respect Kerry and still wish he had run. And most of those Kerry supporters including myself, know full well that there was a time not so long ago when HRC didn’t have Kerry’s back when she could have. I overlooked that to support her — but I won’t overlook Kerry getting dissed here because Obama is playing out to be the nominee. And when the decision is made as to who the nominee is… This blog will do it’s part to help that nominee get elected.

5. Kendall A. Johnson says:

Well Pamela,

I’m not an insider but I have heard that Hillary did a lot for Karry including garnering support from women’s groups all over the country for him. I was campaigning for Clinton in Pa. a few weeks ago and heard this from some one who worked for Senator Clinton for years. I thought and had previously heard that Clinton didn’t have Karry’s back as you suggested, until this person told me otherwise.

I have also heard that the Clintons have raised a lot of money for meny of the polititions who are now stabbing them in the backs. If you have the inside scoop, please share. Why are so many against Hillary’s candidacy?

6. Kendall

In my opinion many from the Clinton camp could have done more for Kerry in ’04. Both Kerry and Kennedy have raised money for Clinton’s Senate races. Look the bottom-line again is politicians have a right to support whoever they choose. Sometimes they have to make tough choices and sometimes people don’t understand why. Truth is Obama supporters would be crying foul if Kerry and Kennedy supported HRC. Think about that.

7. Kendall A. Johnson says:

Why would they cry foul? I also heard that Clinton raised money for Obama. What do Karry and Kennedy owe Obama?

And for me the bottom line is that HRC would make a better candidate in the general election and would be a better president. The chorus of men trying to push her out right from the start has been suspicious and is tasteless. They would never do this to a man in a race this close.

I think there is a power struggle going on within the party and the lines people are drawing within the party have nothing to do with what is good for the country or who has a better chance of winning the general. I think that is what makes so many of us little people frustrated. We feel left out of the equation and keep ending up with a republican white house.

Ever since I was old enough to vote, I faithfully voted the democratic ticket. But now for the first time in my adult life a candidate like Hillary comes around, and I see how poorly all of these men in partiluar are treating her and it makes me feel very disrespected as a woman and as a faithful democrat. I meant what I said in my earlier post about them throwing us women under the bus. I for one chose Clinton, not only because she is a woman, but because she is advocating policy that for the first time addresses our agenda, rather than maintaining the status quo like the men always do. She wants to legislate Roe v. Wade so we are no longer at the mercy of the supreme court. Obama isn’t advocating such a thing. She wants to put teeth into the pay equity laws. Obama isn’t advocating such a thing. She wants to extend the Family Leave Act. Obama isn’t advocating such a thing. Her understanding of poverty is much more sophisticated because she understands the feminization of poverty, and therefore her policies are much better. From what I have read on Obama’s website, he just doesn’t get it.

I understand that the blacks are also an important faithful voting block, but we are the majority. What about us? We are oppressed too. Nobody is treating Obama so poorly. The misogyny directed at Clinton is like salt in a wound. And yes, I can’t just blame the media, when all of these male democratic leaders parade accross the TV screen and trash her along with the sexist commontators. Its unreal. This is why I can no longer support them. I would have to have the mind set of a battered woman in order to come around and make nice after witnessing the total disrespect and abuse they have perpetrated against Senator Clinton. I just can’t believe it. The sexism has been unreal and I for one will not go along. She has been called every nagitive female epithet on national TV accept a C**T that I can think of right now. And not one male leader other than Governor Randell of Pa. and Bill Clinton have defended her in this regard. Meantime, any little thing that could even be remotely racially charged said about Obama, all the party men start jumping up and down crying foul. The double standard is glarring!!!!!

Talk about being Sh*t on!!!!! I don’t think the Republicans could insult us women any worse. At least we expect it from them. They make no bones about thinking we are second class. The democrats obviously feel the same way, but just lie about it. During this primary season it has become clear how they really feel and many of us women are watching and are very upset.

8. Kendall

Endorsements from Dem leaders like Kerry and Kennedy are key and coveted endorsements. At the time when the endorsements were made Edwards was also stil in the race and all 3 candidates were actively persuing their endorsements. Edwards supporters were not happy that Obama got them, either.

It’s not that Kerry or Kennedy “owe” Obama anything. Likewise technically they owe Clinton nothing. Everyone has their own opinion as too who would be the better president and again they have a right to make their own choices.

I think there are some in the party who feel it is time for a change in the party heirarchy — the Clinton’s being the first family of the party since Bill’s presidency. It’s a matter of opinion and again people have the right to think that. Voters can show their opinions at the polls.

Regardless, in my opinion to write off Obama because he is not the candidate of your choice, sells the party short and your longtime record of voting Democrat, short.

9. Kendall Johnson says:

I appriciate your comments, but I feel like the party keeps selling me short. Part of the problem with these guys is that the refuse to see Hillary as an individual. It is a subtle sexism. I understand that they are family, but they are different and I think in many ways the is the more progressive.

I didn’t care for her war vote or Karry’s for that matter, but I don’t see her as a republican as so many are trying to paint her. The men have admitted publically that their war votes were a mistake and she has been reluctant to do so. I think that it is because of the gender double standard. Men can admit mistakes and be forgiven for them. I don’t think women have the same luxury. They would burn her alive if she admitted it.

I was making calls to WV this morning and people were telling me that the Obama camp is calling them and telling them not to vote on Tuesday because the race is already over and he won. Talk about dirty politics!!!!

10. Kendall

Honestly, I will repeat again, I don’t think sexism, subtle or not has anything to do with Kerry’s support of Obama. In fact I am certain of it. Don’t get me wrong, the sexism against Hillary sucks – so does the racism against Obama. I am appalled by all of it.

This election is monumental in terms of history. We will be nominating either the first woman nominee or first black nominee. It’s exciting as hell and I think either will be damn fine presidents. My preference is Hillary but I will be happy to cast my vote for Obama in November as well.

We have to keep our eyes on the prize and not let our personal preferences cloud the importantance of winning in November. Hillary has said as much many times.

11. Kendall Johnson says:

I think you misunderstood part of my post. I didn’t say that Kerry is supporting Obama because he is sexist. I said that Kerry and the other men who voted for the war have admitted making a mistake, but that Hillary does not have that luxury because of the sexism in our society. She would never be foregiven the way the men have been.

VERY VERY diferent from how you read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!And I must tell you, I don’t hear a lot of racism hurled at Obama on National TV from so called progressive news outlets. What I see is a lot of race bating coming from the OBAMA camp towards the Clintons as well as from MSNBC and to a lesser extent from CNN. Fox we know are bigots and I know they have gone after Obama as well as Clinton. But the so called progressive media has been ruthless in their misogyny. Most open minded people don’t pay much attention to Fox, but they do listen to Keith Obermann who has been one of the worst offenders of both the sexism and the race bating.

12. Kendall

I do not think for a 2nd that anyone would not forgive Hillary for her war vote because she is a woman or that sexism would play into it at all. The liberal community, FYI was not so swift to forgive Kerry for his vote, when he finally apologized. It’s well documented here.

Again of the sexism and what not aside, the bottom line is it’s critical to win the White House in November no matter who our nominee is. Hillary knows that.

13. Kendall Johnson says:

I agree that it is critical to get a Dem in the White House, but it is also very important to get the right one. And in the end, I hope and pray it will be Hillary.

I think you under estimate what I said about Hillary being foregiven for her war vote. Even if the dem leaders forgave her, I don’t think enough of the public would.

14. Slave Revolt says:

Pamela, I soured on Hillary during the 1990s–and her cynical pro-war vote, and the propagandistic, war-mongering smears against Iran were a new low.

Hillary is not an authentic ‘feminist’–not when she mimics the patriarchical war-mongering memes of the empire.

For me, Obama is the best hope for the US at this point in time.

Not that I think he will govern from the enlightened, progressive positions that I hold dear; however, he is the least rightwing of the three candidates in the running.

I have no respect for the Clintons, none whatsoever.

Her divisive comments about ‘hardworking, white voters’ were the last nail in her coffin. This was a kick in the face of African American folks. Sad and pathetic.

15. Slave Revolt

Me thinks you spew your own brand of propaganda here filled with cynicism and smears against Hillary.

And incase you missed it, I have made it very clear here over and over again that I will support Obama if he is the nominee, which is far more than you would do apparently if Hillary is the nominee.