Color Me Perplexed

Late last night I watched the video below about Clinton supporters who plan to actively campaign against Barack Obama as the nominee, and vote for John McCain:

Color me perplexed as to the reasoning from these women… One of their primary reasons is the sexism that Clinton has weathered during the campaign. But why on Earth, I have to ask would these women want to vote for a man who is reported to have called his wife the C word?

There is no doubt that the sexism has been rampant through out this election season. But I can’t help but feeling that these women threatening to vote for McCain are missing the bigger picture. As Hillary Clinton herself has said recently:

Anybody who has ever voted for me or voted for Barack has much more in common in terms of what we want to see happen in our country and in the world with the other than they do with John McCain.”

Feminist author Erica Jong has written much about the sexism Hillary Clinton has confronted through put this election cycle. Today in the HuffPo, Jong says:

I totally understand Obamamania–and I also get the frustration of voters who wanted this to be the year we broke through the glass ceiling for women.

But let’s get real. It’s time for Democrats to put all personal bias aside and unite behind the things we believe in: a planet we can live on, reproductive choice, workers rights, health care for all, education for poor and middle class students, fair taxes, a Constitution made whole, rescuing America from war profiteers — if indeed there is still time.

It’s already very late. It’s too late for quarrels about whether race or gender is more restricting. It’s too late for prognostications about a future presidency we won’t know until it has unfolded. Remember so-called compassionate conservatism? It turned out to be neither compassionate nor conservative. Why anybody believes election slogans mystifies me. But we do know this: a landslide for Democrats will change the direction of this country. So let’s join forces to make it happen–and let’s start now.

Yes, Erica, “let’s start now.” Like me, Jong says she doesn’t “believe that passionate Hillary supporters will vote for McCain in fits of pique.”

I sure won’t,” says Jong. Neither will I. And backing up what Clinton said recently about she and Obama having more in common politically that Clinton and McCain, Jong notes:

The truth is that Obama and Clinton are so similar politically that without generational and gender differences they’d be indistinguishable.

I’ve urged here many times that we must come together and support the nominee. I’ve noted that Hillary Clinton herself has said this on many occassion.

Ladies… We all know the sexism crap sucks and it hits those of us who have been on the receiving end of similar sexism, right in the core of our being. But let’s get real… voting for John McCain in protest, is not the answer to Hillary not winning the nomination. It’s self-defeatist and it simply reinforces the idea that men can get away with calling their wives vile sexist names.

18 Responses to Color Me Perplexed

1. The problem is, Pamela, that we don’t truly know that Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are on the same page politically. We know what page Barack Obama says he’s on. But we have very little actual evidence, in the form of his record, that shows he’s on the same page. It was very late in the campaign that Obama’s web-site even had anything about the special issues of women. Only when women began joining his campaign in large numbers did his writers add anything about women’s reproductive rights.

While I agree that we must vote against McCain, I definitely see the worries of these women and their worries should not be dismissed. Barack Obama is a candidate that we know very little about because he has done very little. What concessions will he make to themiddle of the road in order to “unify” the country? I have seen little evidence that his approach to unity includes any fight. If he doesn’t even “show up” in states where he is loosing, how can you be sure he will stand up for the rights of women?

2. John P says:

i hope i am not the only one who was scared by that video. hearing a democrat so unconcerned about the next supreme court nominee seriously gave me a shiver. i still think in a couple months we’ll look back at this point in the campaign and not even recognize it…let’s hope so.

3. john stone says:

For heavens sakes people wake up! Vote for the Democratic nominee whoever it is. Democrats are on the same side on issues, Iraq, health care, education,economy , Supreme Court appointments, everything. Do you want McCain, a continuation of the Bush Tragedy? Democrats must come together!!

4. JoAnne

We really do know that Hillary and Obama are on the same page. Their issues positions are now and have been very similar through out the campaign. At some point it was noted here that little was on Obama’s website about women’s issues. The problem was not that it was not there — but that due to the layout and design of the website — it was not easy to find.

To be frank, although he’s not as experienced as Clinton, by a simply a few short years in the Senate, he is an experienced politician with a record as a state legislator.

It’s time, sad but true, to stop perpetuating the memes put out over the long course of the primary battles, and start gearing up to win in November. This will only happen if we all come together and fight like hell for our our nominee.

5. Pamela: I understand what Barack Obama says. I also know that he has done very little to stand up for what he says. The Illinois legislature is a part-time position and he spent most of his time there running for office every three years. I can see little in his record that lives up the the convictions that he talks about. I suspect that most of his endorsements are against the Clintons rather than actually for him. Sorry, Pamela, I don’t trust the guy.

I still don’t think you should dismiss these women. They mean business sand they should be taken seriously. Everyone is not as politically astute as the readers of this blog and to many, they vote the candidate and not the party. I heard this time and time again in my phone calls with voters. I had to keep selling them on the party. It’s hard to sell the party-line when this party is willing to disenfranchise so many voters in florida and michigan and has not stood up to the media.

That said, I will vote against McCain, but it will be a hard vote to cast.

6. Pamela: I understand what Barack Obama says. I also know that he has done very little to stand up for what he says. The Illinois legislature is a part-time position and he spent most of his time there running for office every three years. I can see little in his record that lives up the the convictions that he talks about. I suspect that most of his endorsements are against the Clintons rather than actually for him. Sorry, Pamela, I don’t trust the guy.

That said, I will vote against McCain, but it will be a hard vote to cast.

7. I will oppose McCain with every effort I can manage. That is different from actively supporting Senator Obama and his wife.

8. kcowley says:

I was extremely disappointed with Jong’s demeaning comment about Hillary. Her closing did not inspire me whatsoever to unite and support Obama, Democrats Unite? No diplomat she.

9. Kathleen

I think Jong is trying to be pragmatic as a Clinton supporter. As am I.

10. Stuart

Since when is Obama’s wife running for office. In ’04 there were some folks that didn’t like THK, and comments similar were made. Not helpful in my opinion.

11. Honestly I’m back in the everyone need to GET A GRIP mode.

Do you folks here realize that the GOP is trolling Dem blogs looking for these kinds of complaints about Obama and this helps them?

He has experience as a politician. He is Democrat with a liberal voting record, that is FYI exactly the same as HRC’s in the years he has been in the Senate.

I’m with Hillary Clinton till she says otherwise, but in all honesty I know that much of the BS being said about Obama is simply that — BS.

Let’s not lose sight of the goal in supporting the candidate of our choice, because that is what is happening here and the blowback is simply not worth it, if that blowback means in November.

For every person that says I don’t trust Obama, Obama is inexperienced, etc there is just another boost being made to the McCain camp.

Think about that. Long and hard people. Think about that.

And again think about the fact that HRC will be out there stumping for Obama and she has said this over and over again.

And to those who reply she’s only saying that because she’s a loyal Dem — damn straight she’s loyal Dem and thank goodness for that!

12. Adrian says:

Hey! I don’t agree with Hilary’s supporters turning to McCain. Honestly, Obama and Hilary are much closer than her and McCain on points and policies. Talk about sore losers! I was browsing through a bunch of political websites and blogs (mostly liberal ones) and I came across your blog and find it to be very interesting. There are a bunch of others I like too, like huff post, and other news sites like politico. Do you know of any that cover politics and the environment? I saw earthlab.com which has mostly environmental info but some politics. I took EarthLab.com’s carbon calculator (http://www.earthlab.com/signupprofile/). It was pretty easy to use (and it doesn’t make me feel guilty after I take it). Are there any other blogs you would recommend? Can you drop me a link to your favorites or any ones with green info?

13. CognitiveDissonance says:

Pamela, with all due respect, the Republicans have no need to troll the left blogs to get ammunition to use against Obama. There is already abundant evidence. If the Jeremiah Wright tapes didn’t convince you of that, just wait until their slime machine really gets going. Just from what we already know about Wright, Rezko, Ayres, Auchi, and bittergate, there is abundant material for endless 527’s to run hit pieces ad nauseum. And lately, every time Obama opens his mouth, he just provides more material (for instance, telling Oregon voters the complete opposite of his views on Iran as he told Montana voters. There are tapes of both. Pretty easy to run an ad from).

They also have abundant exit polls showing the large percentage of Clinton voters who have said they won’t vote for Obama. They don’t need to read long comment threads on the blogs to find that out. And incidentally, let’s don’t forget the flip of this. Bill O’Reilly already reads some of the more craven comments posted by Obamabots on DailyKos and Huffington Post as a regular feature of his newscasts. His own supporters are already providing abundant evidence that they are what the wingnuts will portray as far leftwing kooks who want to follow in Bill Ayres’ footsteps.

But I digress. I’m 55 years old and I’ve always believed the mantra that you vote democratic, even if your chosen candidate didn’t win. I’ve always done that in the past. And in most years I would continue doing that. I voted for Kerry, even though I didn’t particularly care for him. But Kerry was a competent, experienced Senator with ample evidence of his beliefs. I don’t see that with Obama. But even so, that wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

Here is the dealbreaker: Obama cravenly smeared the Clintons as racists. I’m sorry, but there is just no way on God’s earth that I can ever swallow one democrat doing that to another to get votes. There are some things that are so slimey that I will not let them pass. This is one of them. That isn’t okay with me, and I will never vote for someone who shows such lack of character that they would do it. As MLK once so eloquently said, you should judge someone on the content of their character, not the color of their skin. I would love to vote for an African American. But I cannot vote for an African American whose character has been shown to be this lacking. If I am forced to vote for someone other than Hillary Clinton, it will be Cynthia McKinney of the Green Party.

14. coldH2Owi says:

I’m with you Pamela. I wish, frankly, that I had never strayed away from the political blogs that dealt with Bu$hCo. I was blissfully unaware of the hatred I’ve encountered. Not to mention the sexism & racism. It’s been sad. However, we will win this thing in November & we will win it big time, both the Congress & the Presidency. It gives me hope. I’m also glad to agree with Mr. Gilbert & Pamela concerning Sen. Kennedy. & this from someone who remembers exactly where he was & who saw his first live murder on the teevee when Jack Ruby killed Lee Harvey Oswald. Texas has not been kind to us.

15. CognitiveDissonance

This is my 2nd presidential campaign on the blogs. Trust me they are out there reading every blog they can looking for ammo. Sad but true. A lot has been said on both sides that hasn’t been pretty.

Still in the end whether it is Hillary or Obama — we need a Dem in the White House. There is no getting around that. That is why I will support Obama if he is the nominee and I will work my tail off to get him elected, as I know Hillary Clinton will.

Politics is said to be a blood sport. A sport not for the weak-kneed. Hateful things are said and in the end we rally around each other when need be — like the Republicans expressing their support for Ted Kennedy in the wake of the horrible news about his brain tumor.

16. Cold

Some how, some way we’ll all come together when it’s time and win this thing. I agree. Heartbreaking news about Ted Kennedy. Just heartbreaking.

17. kcowley says:

Pam- Pragmatic would be to suggest reevaluating Bill’s role in a campaign. To publicly suggest “get a life by divorcing Bill” is simply rude and belittling. Regardless, If her point of the post was Democrats Unite, she chose the wrong tactic by insulting our candidate so,

I thoroughly understand being loyal to the party and have always voted democratic,. I’m sorry but this time is different. The democratic party has not been loyal to what I understood to be important democratic principles. Remember 2000 and the man who was declared “president” despite not having won the popular vote? I never, in my wildest imagination, thought that my own party would set us up for a repeat of that empty process. Be democratic and count the votes!

18. Kathleen

I think Erica Jong is one of those feminists who believes that women can go it alone and should rather than put up with BS. That said, her close might have been a little tacky for some, but I agree with her on the need to unify. I also get that it was maybe a tough call for her to say this – as she has family working for HRC.