Hillary: Why I Continue to Run

In an OP/ED in the NY Post today, Hillary Clinton clarifies that her remarks about RFK were “entirely out of context and interpreted them to mean something completely different – and completely unthinkable,” and she goes on to explain why she continues to run. Despite the fact the Robert Kennedy, Jr. has spoken out and said that “it is a mistake for people to take offense,” The Caucus reports today that the “Internet is at full tilt with thousands of readers writing that they were shocked at her comments.”

Clinton says in the OP/ED, “I was deeply dismayed and disturbed that my comment would be construed in a way that flies in the face of everything I stand for – and everything I am fighting for in this election.” And she goes on to say, “I would like to more fully answer the question I was asked: Why do I continue to run, even in the face of calls from pundits and politicians for me to leave this race?”

I am running because I still believe I can win on the merits. Because, with our economy in crisis, our nation at war, the stakes have never been higher – and the need for real leadership has never been greater – and I believe I can provide that leadership.

I am not unaware of the challenges or the odds of my securing the nomination – but this race remains extraordinarily close, and hundreds of thousands of people in upcoming primaries are still waiting to vote. As I have said so many times over the course of this primary, if Sen. Obama wins the nomination, I will support him and work my heart out for him against John McCain. But that has not happened yet.

I am running because I believe staying in this race will help unite the Democratic Party. I believe that if Sen. Obama and I both make our case – and all Democrats have the chance to make their voices heard – in the end, everyone will be more likely to rally around the nominee.

I am running because my parents did not raise me to be a quitter – and too many people still come up to me at my events, grip my arm and urge me not to walk away before this contest is over. More than 17 million Americans have voted for me in this race – the most in presidential primary history.

I am running for all those women in their 90s who’ve told me they were born before women could vote, and they want to live to see a woman in the White House. For all the women who are energized for the first time, and voting for the first time. For the little girls – and little boys – whose parents lift them onto their shoulders at our rallies, and whisper in their ears, “See, you can be anything you want to be.” As the first female candidate in this position, I believe I have a responsibility to finish this race.

I am running for all the men and women I meet who wake up every day and work hard to make a difference for their families. People who deserve a shot at the American Dream – the chance to save for college, a home and retirement; to afford quality health care for their families; to fill the gas tank and buy the groceries with a little left over each month.

I believe I won a 40-point victory two weeks ago in West Virginia and a 35-point victory in Kentucky this past week – despite voters being repeatedly told this race is over – because I’m standing up for them. I’m standing up for the deepest principles of our party and for an America that values the middle class and rewards hard work.

Finally, I am running because I believe I’m the strongest candidate to stand toe-to-toe with Sen. McCain. Delegate math might be complicated – but electoral math is not. Our campaign is winning the popular vote – and we’ve been winning the swing states we need to get 270 electoral votes and take back the White House: Pennsylvania, Ohio, Arkansas, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Nevada, Michigan, Florida and West Virginia.

But no matter what happens in this primary, I am committed to unifying this party. Ultimately, what Sen. Obama and I share is so much greater than our differences. And I know that if we come together, as a party and a people, there is no challenge we cannot meet, no barrier we cannot break and no dream we cannot realize.

Despite the cries of indignation from Obama supporters, Hillary Clinton has many valid points for staying the race, and many supporters who want her to continue the fight. I am loathe to believe that Clinton were a man, sorry to say, that the cries of indignation would be so loud. We still see here in America sadly, that a man can stand and fight for a job at the top, but a women, can easily be told she must back down.

I’m proud to be a Clinton supporter who does not believe Hillary Clinton should back down. I’m proud to be a Clinton supporter who believes she is the one candidate who can beat John McCain and the best choice to lead our nation in healing after the years pain and turmoil caused by the Bush administration.

24 Responses to Hillary: Why I Continue to Run

1. coldH2Owi says:

As usual, Pamela, Sen. Clinton explains to us complete duffusses, rather than apologize. Actually, when you watch the video, one wonders just what the heck is going on. It’s like another conversation gets dubbed in. In my complete misogynistic & sexist way, not to mention my creative class I don’t want a gas tax holiday way, I would urge Sen. Clinton to stop explaining why she won’t get out of the race, after all she claims she just doesn’t know why people keep asking her to do exactly that. I know that this is a pro-Clinton blog, but I still believe that the name of the blog, The Democratic Daily, actually allows for other Democrats to suggest a path for Sen. Clinton to follow, a path that doesn’t end up with everybody pissed off.

2. Pamela: Do you think that there’s any truth to the rumor that the Clinton Campaign is crippled financially? If she is, how does she take it all the way to Denver?

3. Diana Bradbury says:

I hope Senator Clinton stays in the race all the way to the convention and wins. The nomination should go to the canidate with the popular vote. We live in a Representative Democracy where the representatives represent the majority. In the countries history there has only been two times when the presidental canidate who won the delegate race didn’t win the popular vote. The delegates should reflext the popular vote. This country has been through a great deal in the past eight years because all the votes weren’t counted. Bush ran his campaign on being an outsider who could change Washington. He was a uniter not a divider. What short memories we have. We let the media call the Bush Gore race and it looks like they will call this one too.

4. Darrell

I am clueless on both counts. I haven’t got the foggiest. All I can say I guess is that where there’s a will there’s a way.

5. Cold

FYI, “the name of the blog, The Democratic Daily” actually suggests that we report on Democratic (and political) news – daily. :)

6. Kendall Johnson says:

Well Clinton fights on, one thing is very apparent. The democratic establishment are sexist biggotts. They are trying to push her our even though they know that she is the strongest candidate!!!!! Unbelievable!!!!.

Pamela,

I remember saying to you on an earlier blog that Karry and others were willing to throw the general election, rather than to allow a woman to be the nominiee. Everyday that becomes more clear. Obama consistanly loses against McCain in all scientific match-ups, while Clinton wins. But the good old boys want to keep the girl down. They parade across the sexist media channels calling for Clinton to drop out and join in on all the misogynistic banter for her to leave. This weekend its been Carter. Last week it was Edwards. They really just don’t get how they are seriosly pissing off their female base. Do they really think that disenfranchising large swing states in order to deprive the first woman presidential candidate the nomination will go unnoticed? Are you convinced yet????? Yah, they hate us!!!!!!

HILLARY IS THE BEST TO LEAD AND IS THE STRONGEST GENERAL ELECTION CANDIDATE!!!!!

7. Marcey says:

FACT: CLINTON WINS THE STATES THAT MATTER IN GENERAL ELECTION.
    DONATE: hillaryclinton.com

Obama’s Favorable Rating Drops!!!!

FOX News Poll: Nearly half of Democrats (48 percent) think Hillary Clinton has a better chance of beating McCain in November — 10 percentage points higher than the 38 percent who think Barack Obama can win

In Kentucky, 8 in 10 Clinton voters… say they’d be Dissatisfied if Obama were the nominee; about 60% of Clinton voters in Oregon said the same. MORE Clinton voters in KY say they’d support John McCain than support Barack Obama. Obama lost West Virginia by more than 40 points, an enormous fall, voters who went against Obama — white, rural, older, low-income and without college degrees — don’t just live in West Virginia. They live everywhere in the country, in places Obama needs to win in a general election. Lost in all the talk of the inevitability of Barack Obama’s nomination is the fact that Hillary Clinton has a very compelling case of her own. The contorted Democratic primary significantly differs from an actual presidential election. Caucuses, which is proportionately favor young, vocal enthusiasts who are willing to stay up late in the night; superdelegates; unelected party officials who are free to ignore the
    will of the people and proportional representation of delegates are all electoral processes that have no parallel in November.

If the Democratic primary were a winner-take-all contest based on electoral votes like the general election, Clinton would lead Obama 290-214. The fact that Obama has won the majority of states, most of which are small, or has a slight lead in the popular vote does not mitigate the fact that Clinton is by a large margin the more competitive candidate in a national election

It is a fact that no Democrat has won the White House since 1916 without winning West Virginia, Obama lost West Virginia by more than 40 points, an enormous fall, voters who went against Obama — white, rural, older, low-income and without college degrees — don’t just live in West Virginia. They live everywhere in the country, in places Obama needs to win in a general election. In anticipation of the West Virginia primary, college students for Obama were hurling insults at farmers and truck drivers. Now we hear pained remarks from the Obama camp that many white men won’t vote for any black. Oh really? No one was complaining during the early races in Iowa, Maryland, Virginia and Wisconsin, when most of the white male participants backed Obama. That was before the Rev. Jeremiah Wright ugliness became public. Obama’s inability to persuade working-class white voters to back him points to serious problem for him in the presidential election. A large percentage of voters who backed Mrs Clinton said they would not vote for Obama in the presidential race if he becomes the nominee. Disrespecting the nearly 17 million who have supported Clinton is politically unwise, but turning them into “the enemy” is insane

8. consciousempress says:

peace be unto you and all who surround you…love is truly the answer…look into the mirror…ask…what can
    i do?

9. Kris from New Hampshire says:

I am baffled at this primary outcome. They say the Clintons are moving the goalposts, when in fact the media is. “Indiana” was supposed to be the tie breaker. Clinton wins Indiana and is told the primary is over. Everyone agrees the only way she can win the nomination is if she wins the popular vote. Well, she has, and the media says she ruining Obama’s chances of winning by showing he can’t win the GE. The superdelegates are ignoring the GE match ups with McCain, they’re ignoring the fact that the majority of the democratic base is not voting for Obama. They’re ignoring that women are mad, hispanics won’t vote for him, that white, working class aren’t voting for him. What are the superdelegates getting promised that makes losing in November okay with them? I am baffled, and mad. I’ve never voted Republican in my entire 43 years. But if Obama is the democrats nominee, I’m voting against him. If the democrats want to self-destruct, why should I stand in the way?

10. Kendall

I never said that about Kerry or anyone (nor would I). I distinctly told you you that I don’t believe Kerry’s motives for supporting Obama are sexist.

11. johnmccone says:

I used to love the Clinton’s but truly, this rhetoric is ridiculous. I could get past Bill’s indiscretions while in office but the propaganda BS they are spinning now sickens me. I am a Democrat but won’t be for long primarily bcause of this. The self serving Clintons have really outdone themselves. Hillary is losing the race. I am not of the opinion that Obama is winning as much as I am that Clinton is losing it. I doubt I could vote for Clinton in the general election if she is nominated. Her support of the rule regarding the Florida and Michigan primary has now flip flopped as it has with respect to Bosnia and the statement that Clinton and Kennedy were still seeking their nomination in June of the months they ran. Kennedy had JUST ENTERED THE RACE!!!!. Bill had wrapped it up in April. Keep shooting off the non facts Hillary. I am certain it is the cornerstone of your losing campaign not to mention your sinking integrity.

12. Kendall Johnson says:

Pamela,

I guess all these high profile men are lining up behind Obama, because Hillary just isn’t qualified and she can’t win the general election and her policies suck!!!!!!Give me a break. I’m glad she is staying in because for nothing else she is exposing the hypocracy of the democratic party. Its shameless. They’ve turned into thugs who rig elections, disenfranchise voters and are showing to be willing to throw the election rather than nominate Hillary Clinton. So tell me Pamela, why?

I understand that these politions my differ on verious policy issues and Obama clearly has a fundraising advantage, but its obvious that he won’t win the general election. So why is everyone trying to push Clinton out? Why the chorus of democratic male leaders calling for her to quit? It seems sucidial for the general election!!!!

13. Kendall

I have said here countless times that everyone has a right to support and endorse who ever they please. That includes politicians like Kerry, Kennedy, etc. You can read all the motives into it that you please, but it doesn’t make those motives true.

My longtime readers all pretty much assumed that I would follow Kerry’s lead, as a longtime Kerry supporter and also support and endorse Obama. I made my own choice. And my choice was respected then and still is, by Senator Kerry’s staff, who I have worked with for nearly 5 years now.

I can’t tell you why anyone who has endorsed Obama, including Kerry, other than to reiterate the reasons they gave at the time.

I’ve also tried to explain to you in the past, this politics. And if anyone understands this it is Hillary Clinton herself.

You also need to take a good hard look at all of this and ask if the tables were turned, with Clinton having the delegate lead, if her camp and supporters wouldn’t be calling for Obama to drop out. They most certainly would be, in my opinion and you’d be among those making the calls too, I feel.

14. Kendall Johnson says:

JOHNMCCONE,

THE VOTE BELONGS TO THE PEOPLE, NOT THE CANDIDATES OR THE DNC.

AND, CLINTON NEVER AGREED TO DISENFRANCHISE VOTERS FROM TWO BIG SWING STATES WITH DEMOGRAPHICS THAT FAVORED HER. THE DNC IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT ONE. CLINTON WAS NEVER HAPPY WITH THIS SITUATION!!!!! SHE DID AGREE NOT TO CAMPAIGN THEIR FOR FUNDING REASONS AND OBAMA WHO ALSO GREED NOT TO CAMPAIGN IN THOSE STATES BROKE THE PLEDGE AND RAN TV ADS IN FLORIDA FOR WEEKS BEFORE THE ELECTION. FURTHERMORE, HE OBSTRUCTED REVOTES EVEN AFTER THE FUNDING WAS MADE AVAILABLE TO PAY FOR THEM. ITS NOT CLINTON WHO HAS BEEN SELFSERVING. OBAMA SUPPORTERS WITHIN THE DNC RIGGED THIS ELECTION FROM THE START. DID YOU KNOW THAT NH, SC, AND IOWA ALSO BROKE THE DNC RULES AND MOVED UP THEIR PRIMARY DATES. BUT THE DNC GAVE THEM A PASS BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT OBAMA WOULD WIN THESE STATES.

SO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIT!!!! ALL CLINTON IS DOING IS EXPOSING THESE THUGS FOR WHO THEY REALLY ARE!!!!!

15. Laurie says:

Hi, I’m an American living abroad in Italy.
    I have always liked and admired Hillary for her handling of her marriage following the most shameful treatment of an American President in living history. I believe that many women feel that way about her.
    I also liked Barack Obama, I figured he might be able to improve America’s image in the world.
    Then I saw an interview with Samantha Powers, telling Stephen Sackur in Hardtalk on the BBC, that Hillary was a power-hungry bitch. She then went on to outline the most vapid schemes for Foreign Relations I have ever heard. I just thought bye.bye Obama-his team is awful. I never expected to hear such violence expressed in an interview, nor such ignorance of foreign affairs. Just my two cents.

PS I’d like to add that the Italian Media (left wing , liberal and centrist) is backing Hillary. They like her “formazione”, which is something like a curriculum, studies, work experience but also includes parents. religion and so on.

Obama is popular with the far left rainbow coalition, made up of no-globals, radicals, and communist splinter groups, where he is considered romantic, and they certainly like his middle name!

McCaine is popular with the right wing and Berlusconi. So too with Libertarians.

Best wishes and take it to the August Convention!!!

IMHO Howard Dean and the DNC are to blame for an incredibly badly run election-but you know that already…

16. Kendall

NH & Iowa, having the long standing tradition of being the first primary and caucus, were allowed to move up their primary/caucus dates when other states attempted to push ahead of them. There was much todo about this, particulary in NH.

Please do readers a favor and do not comment in all caps — it makes it extremely difficult to read and it is considered screaming and quite frankly there is no reason for anyone to scream here.

17. Cecilia says:

Lets turn the issue of quiting around;
    if Senator Obama was trailing Senator Clinton on delegates count, etc., would he quit and gracefully concede Clinton’s victory?
    I say, He would not.
    What’s your opinion?

18. Laurie: We just don’t get much information like you just gave us. Thank you. I’m extremely interested in happenings around the globe and really appreciate your perspective.

19. Laura says:

Thank you for this page. All I hear on the news is telling me that Obama has the nomination in his pocket and it has me feeling so gloomy… it’s so nice to see all of this remaining support for Hillary. I so hope that she pulls it off somehow..

As someone else said, I’ve never voted republican.. but the temptation to vote against Obama would be huge for me.

20. Brandon Frost says:

Hillary Clinton continues to strech the truth way out of porportion by saying that she is leading the popular vote. In the best case scenario for Hillary she would only have received 50,000 more votes than Obama in Michigan, not the 330,000 she is currently claiming because Barack was not on the ballot.

And the act of Hillary fighting for the Michigan voters to be heard is not true. The Michigan Democratic Party has come up with a more than fair solution of spliting the delegates 69/59 for Hillary but she wants everything to stay the way it is, which anyone on either side of the issue can easily see is not right considering Barack was not on the ballot

21. fierce_feline75 says:

Although I admire, and respect Hillary Clinton, as an African-American woman, I am so tired of hearing Clinton supporters talk about sexism. While I do not doubt it, no one is talking about the racist attitudes that many Whites (male and female) and largely Latinos hold toward African-Americans and how Hillary has been able to channel this racism, or fear, to win the last few elections. Nowhere is this racist attitude more evident then when, at exit polls, at least 20% of Hillary supporters say they will not vote for Obama, and many may even vote for McCain. Only 8% of Obama supporters suggest not voting for Clinton, and almost none suggest they will vote for Mccain.
    This reflects the undying devotion which African-Americans have for the Democratic party, and it seems that not even Hillary cares. I wish the African-American Democrats: the ones whose Civil Rights Marches, and sit-ins and non-violent protests, and freedom summers, and registration rallis, made it possible for ALL other ethnics and groups of color to enjoy a better life here in the United States would stay home. Because it seems that right now, Hillary and her husband are taking our loyaly to the party for granted. I wish for once, African-American voters, who although a smaller percentatge of the population, would become as selfish as the other consistituents in the election. But yet, in the face of all types of disrespect, I doubt that will happen. We will go to the polls to honor those who came before us–those who as late as 1953 could not atttend school with whites, who could not vote without intimidation or fear, and we will obediently vote for whomever reads “Democrat” on the ballot.

22. Steve says:

Hillary, Please take “The Fight” All the Way to the Convention. I feel your democratic opponent is a far left radical and you are a moderate. I’m a moderate Democrat that will look at McCain as a moderate if You get Forced out. You won’t be able to get me to vote for Obama. Can you go Independent? Your our only real hope.

23. Anne says:

I am so tired of the Clinton supporters declaring sexism. I am a strong female who is NOT supporting Hillary Clinton. I also know many other strong women who do NOT support Hillary Clinton. For women to say that this she is not going to win due to sexism is demeaning to the advancement of strong women everywhere. I hear whining and complaining which I do not indulge my children in nor do I expect it from a strong presidential candidate! The more becoming situation would be to bow out with dignity then to drag all women down with her.

24. Joshua says:

I just wonder if Hillary is thinking of the future consequences of
    her actions. She has already humiliated Obama in three states
    (after being certain that she is not going to win the nomination).
    If this continues and Obama looses the GE, I do not think the
    Clinton brand name (and its consequences for a future
    Chelsea Clinton Presidential campaign) will be forever