The Backlash Cometh: How Dare You!

I’ve urged here frequently that readers should support the nominee, whoever the nominee is, but frankly, truthfully, the backlash that is brewing is a little hard to ignore.

The thing is, as Joan Walsh pointed out tonight on Hardball (see video in post below) “Bill Clinton is our only 2 term Democrat” in the White House in decades. The fact is, the Clinton’s are beloved by many in party and as Walsh told Joe Madison, “If people continue to demonize both Clinton’s and treat them like monsters that will ruin the Democrats chances…”

Why people supporting Obama and trashing the Clinton’s don’t get this is beyond me. And why, why, the Democratic Party has allowed the media and the Obama-supporting “creative-class” bloggers to turn on the Clinton’s, is also beyond me.

Jill Iscol speaks for me: How Dare You!

How dare the leadership of the Democratic Party turn on Hillary Clinton! How dare they betray Bill Clinton! How dare they not speak out when Hillary is disrespected by words like bitch, whore and the “c” word! How dare they allow them both to be smeared as racists, playing the race card! Where was Howard Dean ? Where was Nancy Pelosi ? Where were Hillary’s colleagues in the Senate when the Clintons were being so unfairly accused and denigrated? The Democratic Party has a lot to answer for. If we had stood as a party with one voice and said, “no”, we will not allow one of our own to be so disturbingly maligned, we would now have a unified democratic party electorate at the end of a virtually tied primary race. Instead we are deeply divided. Now, since the party’s leaders have chosen again and again not to speak up, I will.

I am a Hillary supporter and along with millions of Democrats throughout our country , I have been outraged by how the media have treated her throughout this primary season. But what is most disturbing is how my Party has stood by and allowed the demeaning and dishonest attacks on Hillary to continue. This is not the party I thought I belonged to. This is not the party that espouses fairness, justice and equality for all. This is not the party that elected Bill Clinton President in 1992 and 1996 and Hillary Clinton as Senator in 2000 and 2006. That party knew that it had benefited enormously from the Clinton administration as well as the incredible accomplishments of one of the most activist, hardworking First Ladies in our history. That Party stood proudly by a president who many called the first black president because both he and his wife had demonstrated a lifelong commitment to civil rights and human rights.

Imagine if Democratic leaders had done what Hillary did when President Bush associated Barack Obama with terrorism in his much lauded speech in Israel. Remember, Hillary gave a heartfelt statement that Barack was one of our own and she would not stand by and allow him to be so denigrated ?

Women are outraged. We are still fighting for her, and we are ashamed of how our candidate, a woman who has devoted her adult life to serving others, a woman who has been a distinguished First Lady, a woman who has helped her colleagues pass legislation and win races in their own states, a woman who has stood up for all of our rights, has been treated not just by the media but by her own Democratic Party. Throughout all this, Hillary has maintained her focus, her message and her dignity. This is truly courage under fire. This is what it takes to be a great president.

The bottomline, for many a Clinton supporter is this, as Iscoll says: “It is not over until the lady in the pant suit says it is and I and millions of others are with her.”

And here’s another bottomline, that Obama supporters better start thinking of, if Obama is indeed the nominee and if he wants to win in November: Obama will need Billand Hillary.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee people.

It looks like Barack Obama may need to start to “improve his groveling” and that goes for his supporters too, otherwise, I’m sorry to say, as much as I mould like to think it won’t, the backlash cometh. And the results will not be pretty, as Joan Walsh pointed out tonight on Hardball.

UPDATE: I also highly recommend reading Tom Watson: “Whistling Past the Political Graveyard.”

24 Responses to The Backlash Cometh: How Dare You!

1. Frenchdoc says:

It’s an interesting kind of schizophrenia: on the one hand, the current Obama meme online is that the primary is over, he won, case closed.

At the same time, the demonization continues, not only unabated, but actually grows worse.

And I agree, there will be a price to pay for this.

2. Pingback: The Backlash Against Barack « Semidi

3. coldH2Owi says:

Jeez, a small business owner, a professor, & a newly minted Phd. making jokes about the creative elites in this country. Compared to pretty much all the people, you are the elites. I don’t hold that against you, well, I sort of don’t hold that against you, but please, stop the negative attacks against people who try to make a living selling homemade soaps, homemade kitchen utensils, & homemade food, while they then go home & study Sustainable Economics or go to a some whacked out religious ceremony or try & convert an old school into artists’ studios.

4. scottreads says:

The demonization I don’t get on the merits, for the reasons stated in the post (gee, they’re triangulating pols, I’ve never seen one of those before!), but for practical reasons it’s pretty loony. It would be one thing if Hillary was Jerry Brown or Dennis Kucinich, fringe candidates who get their unfair share of name-calling and snottiness but whose supporters aren’t numerous enough to make the front-runner pay for the discourteous treatment. Hillary has the support, though, of a hair less than half of the people who’ve voted, but a lot of Obama’s supporters continue to treat her supporters like they’re Cletus, Bubba, and Jolene who live by the highway underpass. As you point out, someone who does that risks a real backlash which has the potential to derail Obama. Hopefully, if the DNC seats FL and MI in some way and the SD’s declare themselves, this will sort itself out and the stream of bile from the Obamafans stops when they realize that they actually won (not “won,” as they’ve been claiming since February). That’s all it is, though, a hope.

5. Cold

As I have pointed out here to you in the past, as a single mother who never went to college, living in a rent control apartment, because I can’t afford to move, I am far from a small business owner/elitist. If you were paying attention you would know that I make bath & body products for a living – a home business, and among the many products are make, most of which are “handmade” is “homemade soaps.” From what I understand of the spin on the “creative class” it doesn’t include folks like me.

6. John P says:

the notion that this is somehow one-sided against Clinton (or the Clintons) is ludicris. Anyone remember Clinton saying in an interview that Obama was a Christian “as far as she knew”. When she knew damn well all along–they attended prayer breakfasts together in the Senate. It is examples like this–where the Clintons come right up to the line and don’t go over–but make the points they are trying to make without actually saying the obscene–that cause many of us to have Clinton fatigue.

So how dare we? i voted for Bill twice–great president. Love him, but count me in as a Democrat voter who has Clinton fatigue. Would i vote for her if she’s our nominee–of course, there is no other logical choice for me other than to support our Democratic nominee. But if you think there is a backlash coming from Clinton losing, imagine what it will be like if she comes from behind to win this from Obama. That would be even uglier in my opinion.

7. coldH2Owi says:

You are right about one thing, Pamela, it is “spin” in regards to the creative class. I did not know you dealt with bath & body stuff. I was referring to the vendors that have tables at our local farmer’s market, which by the way, accept vouchers provided to senior citizens by our state. government. They also accept food stamps. Those two conditions for becoming part of the market were written into the market’s bylaws so that we could begin to get healthy food & products to people on fixed incomes, no matter what their age. You will note, however, that Lambert’s little, & I mean little, gambit involving his view of the creative class & his other venture into policy, Sen. Clinton’s & Sen. McCain’s ill-advised gas tax holiday aren’t part of any discussion any more. I wonder why that is? I suppose the evil creative class somehow got the MSM to bury it on page 1,299.

8. themomcat says:

At this point, I think that there is no turning back. Even from the couple of posts above Obama and most of his supporters will stay on track to disenfranchise HRC, WJC and Clinton supporters. I have many friends and family members who are Conservative Republicans and Regan Democrats. They have been contributing heavily to HRC and have clearly indicated that if she is not the nominee they will vote for McCain. These folks are not HRC’s demographic they are lawyers, doctors, college grads with PhD’s. And they are very wealthy and have not been that effected by the current economic conditions. To Obama and his supporters, I wish them luck in their pursuit, they will be doing it without my support or vote and i am not alone.

9. Cold

I think we already discussed the creative class a couple of weeks ago and I remember saying that I had always worked in “creative” industries. My business, FYI was started on an investment of $300, so I could stay at home while my daughter was in school. I have mentioned frequently here what I do and there are ads in the left sidebar for both of business websites.

I don’t sell at Farmer’s Markets, but had considered it about a year ago. Unfortunately most of the Farmers Markets in my area (and there are many) already have a quota of vendors with like products. I wholesale my handmade, natural products via the internet to smaller retailers, spas, crafters and women who vend at Farmer’s Markets. I also sell retail online.

Along with running this blog on a daily basis, I make my own products, do all my packaging, shipping and receiving, web design, bookkeeping… and more. Where I was able to afford part time help a few years ago before the economy started tanking, I now work alone and do it all. I’ve been in business for nearly 13 years.

I’m not aware if the Farmer’s Markets here take food stamps, but I think it’s great that your local Farmer’s Markets do.

10. JP

You are right, the backlash from Obama supporters if Hillary manages to score the nomination will be ugly, if not uglier and it is something I have pointed out here in the past.

11. Frenchdoc says:

JP, the fact that you are repeating the lie about “as far as I know” that was thoroughly debunked by Media Matters tells me all I need to know about you.

12. soona says:

Think about if they stop trashing Hillary, then they have to talk about him and how he is deserving for the job. So how long does that last. five mintues? I guess if they keep repeating the Harvard Review many times(the fact that he didn’t write not one single paper always left out).
    My point there isn’t many +ve things about worth mentioning so the alternative is what is going on.
    I guess at this point a 3rd party option become more and more

13. John P says:

frenchdoc–your ability to read people is truly amazing. congrats.

14. John P says:

oh frenchdoc, and here’s the video of her saying that:

15. John P

The problem with that clip on the HuffPo, via Politico is that is a segment of interview and leaves out the portion before and after when the interviewer repeatedly asked her the same question parsed differently, a total of 8 times, as Erci Boehlert describes on Media Matters (what FrenchDoc is referring to):

The fact is, if you look at Clinton’s exchange with Kroft in its entirety, which lasted less than one minute, I count eight separate times in which she either plainly denied the false claim that Obama was Muslim, labeled that suggestion to be a smear, or expressed sympathy for Obama having to deal with the Muslim innuendo. Eight times:

CLINTON: Of course not. I mean, that’s–you know, there is not basis for that. You know, I take him on the basis of what he says. And, you know, there isn’t any reason to doubt that.

KROFT: And you said you’d take Senator Obama at his word that he’s not a Muslim.

CLINTON: Right. Right.

KROFT: You don’t believe that he’s a Muslim or implying? Right.

CLINTON: No. No. Why would I? No, there is nothing to base that on, as far as I know.

KROFT: It’s just scurrilous —

CLINTON: Look, I have been the target of so many ridiculous rumors. I have a great deal of sympathy for anybody who gets, you know, smeared with the kind of rumors that go on all the time.

It is really and clearly a case of being taken out of context and quite frankly ludicrous to bring up again.

Go read the entire piece from Eric Boehlert at Media Matters, please:

16. Frenchdoc says:

Thanks, Pamela, I should have included the link to Boehlert’s piece in my comment.

17. Frenchdoc

I know I actually wrote about here but couldn’t remember when. Glad I found it.

The whole thing is when we rely on soundbyte clips like that as verbatim news we often don’t know the whole of it and statements are mis-interpreted. I watched this happen repeatedly with Kerry’s campaign.

18. Kendall Johnson says:

OBAMA IS A FRAUD!!!!! The only reason he is in this race is to divide the electorate by race and gender and in so doing deny Clinton the nomination. His continual insults of core constituancies that any democrat will need to win in November is proof that he is not interested in winning in the fall.

I believe that his part in this election is to assist in a power grab by some insiders within the democratic party. I am sure it revolves around money and fundraising. I think some involved in this power grab are trying to destabilize the Clinton financial power base and shift it to the Latte liberal branch of the party.

The fact that no one within the party has stood up for the Clintons is telling of the strong hold held on so many. The vitriol is probably meant to brainwash the public into hating them. It seems to be back firing which is a good thing. I hope and pray that the Clintons hang tough and prevail. Millions of the public remember them for who they are and we support them. The growing vote count for Hillary is proof of it.

19. Kendall

I understand your passion for HRC, but calling Obama a fraud isn’t helping her. And please, please, please, I’ve asked — don’t use CAPS in comments – it comes off as screaming and is very hard to read.

20. Kendall Johnson says:

HuffPo is evil. They are second to the dailykos in their Clinton bashing. Its remarkable and she doesn’t deserve it!!! Do you have any recollection of how HuffPo treated Karry?

21. Kendall

I think the HuffPo has dished out a fair share of evil against many of our own, including John Kerry.

22. Kendall Johnson says:

I don’t recall you asking me or anyone else not to use caps, but if you don’t want me to I won’t.

As for my reference to Obama, its clearly my opinion as everyone elses posts are their opinions. Furthermore, me stating my opinion of Obama really has no impact on Senator Clinton one way or another. And, it doesn’t even come close to some of the Obama blogs bashing Clinton.

23. Kendall

Thanks on the all caps thing – I have said it before but you probably missed it. Otherwise I’m just being my usual let’s all try to be fairly polite routine… No worries. 🙂

24. John P says:

i do not want to get into debating these types of events with folks here, and i can admit that what i viewed may not be representative of the interview.

my point is there have been things said by both campaigns that are frankly beneath what i would expect from our Democratic candidates. i know Clinton supporters are more passionate now because this nomination is wrapping up, but i can’t sit idly by while one side is held up as the saint and the other is the sinner. it’s just not that simple.