What Is Going On At Trinity Church?

Big Tent Democrat asks today with the video below posted, “What Is Going On At Trinity Church?” BTD also clarifies that he feels this “has nothing to do with Barack Obama.” I tend to disagree. This is after all the church that Obama has been associated with for the past 20 years.

Clearly Rev. Michael Pfleger, seen in this video is politicing for Obama and against Hillary Clinton with a very divisive message (see the transcript here). As Taylor Marsh notes, “Trinity Church will be the gift that keeps on giving to the Republicans.”

UPDATE: Lynn Sweet reports that Barack Obama has to the latest uproar over his church, Trinity Church of Chicago, caused by Rev. Michael Pfleger. Obama said in a statement:

As I have traveled this country, I’ve been impressed not by what divides us, but by all that that unites us. That is why I am deeply disappointed in Father Pfleger’s divisive, backward-looking rhetoric, which doesn’t reflect the country I see or the desire of people across America to come together in common cause.”

Apparently Rev. Michael L. Pfleger has also issued an apologies of sorts regarding his divisive words:

So now Barack Obama has distanced himself from yet another cleric connected to Trinity Church. In my opinion, it’s the church he might want to step back from, because it doesn’t seem as though the pastors at Trinity are capable of keeping themselves from stepping in it. And Obama really can’t afford any more outbursts like this from the church he attended for 20 years.

UPDATE 2: Via Frenchdoc in the comments… Read Melissa at Shakes: Hillary Sexism Watch, #104.

17 Responses to What Is Going On At Trinity Church?

1. Frenchdoc says:

“In my opinion, it’s the church he might want to step back from, because it doesn’t seem as though the pastors at Trinity are capable of keeping themselves from stepping in it.”

And, of course, he can’t do that since he’s made faith and religiosity such a central part of his shtick. It’s all over his books and his speeches. He has scolded the Democrats for being unfriendly to religion, stated that we need to be respectful of the religious right on abortion and LGBT rights.

It’s another trap he laid out for himself. It is a gift to the Republicans and a big turn off for non-religious like me.

2. Diane Elayne Dees says:

The latest from Obama: “…I am deeply disappointed in Father Pfleger’s divisive, backward-looking rhetoric, which doesn’t reflect the country I see or the desire of people across America to come together in common cause.”

And from Pfleger: “I regret the words I chose on Sunday. These words are inconsistent with Senator Obama’s life and message, and I am deeply sorry if they offended Senator Clinton or anyone else who saw them.” (the old “IF I offended anyone apology”)

3. This is again indicative of the issues that we may face in the General Election with Senator Obama as our nominee. He has never faced the type of intimate investigation that is happening at this moment.

You can bet there are dozens of Oppo researchers working full-time to create the real book on Barack Obama.

I can’t say that any of us have absolutely nothing to hide. We all have screwed up at some point in our lives. Personally if someone opened the proverbial closet door on my life they wouldn’t find a single skeleton but rather a wind chime factory. Yet that reality is what gives me the deep and lasting experience that I have brought to many campaigns as a paid staffer, sub-contractor or volunteer. Sometimes the most valuable experience comes from making mistakes.

I find the continuing church problems, which make great high-profile opposition TV spots, when combined with so much of Senator Obama’s life that we don’t know intimately, particularly troubling. We are handing the Republicans an enormous amount of very valuable ammunition.

I have never believed that we can take the general election for granted. Many do take it for granted that GW has screwed things up so much that there is no way we could lose. I believe it could easily be another very close election. Be prepared for the fight of your life as Democrats.

We aren’t fighting for a person or even a political cause but rather, as Bobby Kennedy said, “We are fighting for the soul of the nation.”

I take this election exactly that seriously.

4. Gilbert Martinez says:

Obama and Wright appear to have orchestrated out their “separation” (according to the NYT, the “distancing” was planned over a year before it happened) so this probably comes as a bigger blow. More unexpected, and it brings up Wright again.

5. Gilbert Martinez says:

Stuart, I think Obama’s problem is that his life dramatically contradict everything he’s running on. He takes lobbyist money despite railing against it. He has corrupt associates despite railing against corruption. He lies with impunity despite railing against the lack of honesty and integrity. He allows for vulgar character assassination despite railing against an opponent despite railing against that type of politics.

The last president we had that was so contradictory was GWB. I’m told Obama is no George Bush. But frankly, he changes at the drop of a hat so often that I have little faith or hope in him as a leader. This is beyond his inexperience and lack of having to make tough decisions. Even well intentioned people can be incompetent. And incompetence can be just as deadly as bad intentions.

6. Frenchdoc says:

(I guess DOCTOR Martinez is done with days of celebrations, drunkenness and hangovers and decided to get back down in the mud with the rest of us t 🙂 )

7. coldH2Owi says:

No, Frenchdoc, Mr. Dr. Gilbert is still hung over, still filled with that demon rum. It’s incredible to me that Mr. Dr. Gilbert can so blithely write about someone not telling the truth without one single piece of evidence. I would also caution the good Dr. to be careful about defaming a candidate when his own candidate, Sen. Clinton, did repeatedly lie about ducking sniper fire in Tuzla. That statement is not made up. As far as that church goes, who gives a shit? I am amazed that Sen. Obama supporters are continually yelled at to remember that it is Sen. Clinton who is the candidate, not her husband, not Mark Penn, not Ball Boy Whatever Who Married That Lovely Cheney Apologist, but we must understand that Trinity Church is the most important thing in the history of Sen. Obama. You can’t have it both ways, Mr. Dr. Gilbert.

8. Diane Elayne Dees says:

My understanding is that Obama’s website has been cleansed of its reference to Pfleger as yet another mentor.

9. Frenchdoc says:

TUCC is important because Obama himself made it important. He can’t have it both ways: if it’s significant to his life / faith, and since faith is part of his political shtick, then, it’s fair game. That mess is his fault.

Oh, and as to making !@#$ up, let’s review this and this. Unless, of course, Obama rulz apply here too or should we expect a big dose of WORM?

10. coldH2Owi says:

“let’s review this and this” –

Again, a mountain out of a molehill. But then again. Jeralyn has serious ODS. Her blog was regular reading for me, before, well, you know.

Again, I say, who gives a shit about that church? Only Sen. Clinton supporters do, because they sense a weakness, a weakness that involves work for civil & human rights, apparently. The priest that Sen. Clinton is attacking, is a well respected figure in progressive circles in Chicago. I can only figure this out by assuming most of Sen. Clinton supporters are supporters of the DLC, & of course, they gave us Pres. Clinton in the 1990s. But the DLC is not a progressive outfit, see Harold Ford, Jr. I will be frank, I just don’t want another eight years of the Clinton Drama Party. I want Sen. Boxer to be the next President, or Speaker Pelosi, or Lieutenant Gov. Lawton of Wisconsin.

11. Cold

Perhaps some demon rum might help your attitude a little. Who gives a shit about Obama’s church? Well, as he made his faith a focus, as Frenchdoc pointed out, then the wingnuts particularly the christian fundamentalists will have a heyday with this crap from the pulpit of his church.

12. Gilbert Martinez says:

FD, I find cold’s visceral hatred and condescension aimed at me personally to be rather amusing. I had two members of the National Academy on my dissertation committee, so I don’t get shaken too easily any more ;-).

13. Cold

Excuse me — “The priest that Sen. Clinton is attacking.”

Proof postive that you twist things. The priest is attacking Senator Clinton.

14. Frenchdoc says:

Both of them have attacked Clinton and promoting conspiracy theories regarding AIDS does not count as promoting civil rights… and since you think the Auschwitz gaffe was a mountain / molehill thing… I assume the same applies to the Tuzla gaffe, right?

As for Jeralyn, she’s is a Hillary supporter to be sure but hardly suffers from ODS, especially considering the fact that she repeatedly said she’ll vote for him in November. She polices her site very strictly, has clear guidelines so that you won’t find there the level of venom you see at DK and other pro-Obama site. Unless simple disagreement now counts as ODS.

Nice try but you’re gonna have to do better than this.

15. Frenchdoc says:

As usual, Melissa McEwan of Shakesville has a great post on it. And it Hillary Sexism Watch item #104.

16. coldH2Owi says:

Aren’t we special, or what? I wonder what happens to those Phd. candidates who don’t have National Academy members on their dissertation committee? They must be completely unable to handle any sort of questions. I’m glad Mr. Dr. Gilbert that you have been tested under fire.

Frenchdoc: Who preaches at your church is quite different than a lie that is told repeatedly. It would have been a molehill had Sen. Clinton not told it repeatedly. But, of course, Sen. Clinton was tired, or something, much like the tears in NH. &, if AIDS is not a civil rights issue, I’m not sure what is.

17. Pingback: The Democratic Daily