What’s Next? Here’s One Very Powerful Course Of Action For Hillary

[First, let me say I share in the grief, sorrow and other emotions of the Clinton supporters. All I can say to my fellow Clinton supporters is that I find it useful to take a step back from my immediate reactions and allow the emotional pain to subside. It does eventually subside, believe it or not.]

Now to the future and a proposal: First, I assume that Hillary Clinton is smart enough to keep together her network of supporters and supporting blogs. She’s got the best blogger in the business, Peter Daou, running the show. With Peter has the head of her online organization she’s got a powerful structure already built and ready for use.

She’s absolutely correct that 18 million citizens couldn’t be wrong. She has a powerful force to support the issues that are most important to her. Imagine the power of 18 million voters, with some very powerful activists giving them a voice, on any given issue.

For one possible future course of action I heard a fascinating comment from a CBS radio political commentator yesterday that got my attention. I’ve thought of little else since hearing him. (Sorry I didn’t catch his name.) He suggested that one of her available courses of action would be to return to the Senate, with her worldwide profile intact, with her 18 million voters behind her and be elected Senate Majority Leader at the beginning of the next cycle.

I thought that was a brilliant concept. The Senate Majority Leader carries an enormous amount of power and influence properly used. It would be a great role for someone with her breadth and width of experience. Backed by the knowledge she can activate her network with the push of a button, she could become the strongest Democrat on The Hill. Like the Speaker of The House, the Leader determines, largely, the legislation that will be heard and that which will not be heard. Now that’s power!

I do not want her to be Vice President. This is a personal and political judgment based on how her intelligence and power can best be used to repair the worldwide damage caused by the Bush Administration. As a leader in the Senator or The Majority Senate Leader, she would have a voice that would not be dictated by The Obama Administration policy and/or talking points. That’s gives her more freedom of action.

[If there’s ever been a woman that doesn’t need to be given daily talking points it’s Hillary Clinton. ]

We need her brilliance and ability to create effective action on so many possible issues that can’t even be counted. Choosing which issues to work on first will be one of her major challenges. As Pamela said in another post, “I will have her back.” Me too.

22 Responses to What’s Next? Here’s One Very Powerful Course Of Action For Hillary

1. Frenchdoc says:

Stuart, sounds good… but what makes you think the party (who, in effect, torpedoed her campaign) is going to let her obtain this very powerful position?

2. Frenchdoc

I’ve seen the idea of HRC as Senate Majority Leader floated in the past. There was also talk last week of Obama being interested in HRC for the Cabinet – Healthcare. Which is also a great position in my opinion.

3. Motherlode says:

This has been floated for a couple of months, giving Hillary the Majority Leader role in exchange for her dropping out of the race. At the time, I thought it was just another bribe to get the SBTQ, but that if she were to lose, it would be the best use of her talents.

Now that we’ve seen what the DNC REALLY thinks of Hill and her supporters, I can’t help but agree with Frenchdoc. What the other half of the party really, really wants is for Hillary (along with Bill) to disappear, and all of us with her. No way would they give her that kind of power and influence.

4. Motherlode

I think there’s been a lot of frustrations over the fact that the outcome was deterimed quickly. I also think that now that HRC is getting behind Obama and so too will Bill — things will change, attitudes will change and we will see in some aspects the Clinton’s restored to their deserved level of respect within the party as our former Pres and First Lady,

Remember, a lot has been said and done simply under the guise, as unpleasent as it has been, of the primary process — which is not pretty and has a history of getting down right ugly.

5. Frenchdoc says:

I think a cabinet position, except for State or Defense, would be a step down for Hillary. She’d be more powerful as Senator.

6. Stuart

The line of thinking currently in HRC as VP is that it brings both coalitions of voters together to make the ticket the strongest possible. Of course ultimately it is up to both Obama and Clinton.

7. While I agree that the Party didn’t support Clinton well, I think they recognize strength when they see it.

While the RBC made their choices, the campaigns were making final preps for the end.

While cabinet positions and VP slots are a good thing for any person, they are among the highest positions in government, I believe that being a leading power in the Senate would be more effective for long term change.

I believe we can beat McCain regardless of VP choice. Our biggest task will be overcoming the Noise Machine that tries to change the reality of McCain’s position on the War. They will try to change a reality-based view to one of non-reality based emotion attacks.

Only Clinton and Obama will know the final result of their relationship before we do.

8. PanMetron says:

I agree that HRC should not be VP, and at any rate the Obama camp has too much arrogance to seriously make that offer. They don’t think they really need her (or us) to win, though pander they certainly will over these next few months.

It may cost Obama the election, but even if he wins I wouldn’t want to see Hillary a part of that administration. I know there is the beginning of a big convenient unity push, but I dissent; the way this campaign has unfolded has changed Obama in my mind from an acceptable 2nd or 3rd choice to a force that’s bad for the the party. And I frankly think he’d be bad for the nation at the helm.

Whatever Hillary does, she will continue be a leader for those of us in the party who consider competence, honesty and experience to be necessary preconditions for progressivism. She will do it wisely and graciously, and the rabid anti-Hillary reactionaries will continue at every turn to second-guess her and baselessly accuse her of lower motives. And she’ll fight on.

I am beginning to see where the real battle lines are drawn now, and they are indeed through the center of this party; this is not going to be smoothed over by a few speeches or even by a glitzy convention. A fault line cuts between a coalition of reactionary power-fantasy leftists (which includes a large percentage of the liberal blogosphere) and big-governement political opportunists, and those who understand not just the effectiveness but also the ideological coherence of small-government progressivism where democracy is rational and effective at its job and the party has true compassion for all Americans (yes, -even- the working class, -even- those whose values differ from those of Harvard graduates). The left/lib coalition has buoyed Obama to victory, but those of us who object are not all just for Clinton and against Obama; some of us object to this “movement” (aka power-grab) on philosophical, democratic and even moral grounds.

Anyhow, I’ll applaud whatever Senator Clinton does with her brilliant career. The question we should all be asking is: what will we do with ours? Because like Hillary we can all change the world with our daily answer.

9. DeanOR says:

I’m counting on real Dems in Congress, hopefully Hillary among them, to stand up for core Democratic Party values and not allow Obama to give away the store to Republicans.

10. PanMetron says:

I’m honestly more worried about Obama giving away the store (and the party) to corrupt liberals, while hoodwinking the well-intentioned but infatuated left. That’s his coalition.

11. I’m not sure who the corrupt liberals are you are referring to Pan Metron and frankly, I hope they are not deemed as corrupt for simply endorsing Obama. That would be sad.

12. Hilary4HRC says:

I agree — NO VP — Talking Points? From his people? What a slap in the face! She could accept either a VERY prominent position in administration with regard to her strengths and interests — Healthcare, End No Child, ……….. or Senate Majority Leader. She is Brilliant! She has so much to offer. I only hope she isn’t condemned because she won’t be able to bring everybody over to his side. Well, not me, anyway.

What an emotional and surreal week for all of us………… I will support her and follow her career forever, and so will my children. They were as excited about her as I was. It’s sad that this part has come to an end. I’m a 48-year-old woman and I’m afraid all of us (men and women for Hillary) will become invisible………………

13. PanMetron says:

Pamela, I understand that “corrupt liberals” is probably a phrase that will push some buttons, but given how this disastrously un-democratic campaign year has gone I think (along with those folks over at clintondemocrat.com) that it’s time to start pushing – not for Clinton, for the party. Of course I do not label individually all who endorse or support Obama – but I do mean those who push the levers of power to get a wholly unqualified figurehead in office so that they can push their opportunistic agendas (and those of their enormous corporate clients and friends, who make up a huge portion of Obama’s bundled donor base). I won’t name individual names in a comment thread like this but we can start with Exelon connections and that watered-down nuclear bill that Obama’s constituents -demanded- (and never got) for an example of what’s to come.

I’m as loyal a Democrat as they come – I have never voted for a Republican, even for a local office – but it seems fairly clear to me that not all Democrats are all good, and not all Republicans are all bad. This was supposedly Obama’s “post-partisan” position also, but now that he’s facing a Republican opponent (with a debatable and razor-thin nomination supposedly, finally, in his ambitious grasp) the partisan pressure on us Democrats to fall in line is increasing. So which is it – is the other side evil, or are we a United(TM) States of America? I have a feeling that Obama is going to unify the country about as effectively as he’s unified the party.

I saw Senator Obama trash a respected fellow Democrat for months before she returned very modest fire; I’ve heard talk of serious voting irregularities in Texas and elsewhere; I’ve seen powerful Democrats go to great contorted lengths to explain why it was fair to disenfranchise (and then only halfway-enfranchise-with-a-twist) 2.5 million Democratic voters; I’ve seen media elites defend endlessly Obama’s smug condescension toward everyday folks in middle America. Call all of that what you will, I call it corruption. If there’s one thing the DNC has shown us this year, it’s that Republicans do not have a monopoly on what’s rotten in the state of Denmark.

Pamela I hope things change in this party, but one thing’s for sure: they won’t change for the better if we all just fall in line and let this hijacking go on its merry way, and reward the Obamas and Axelrods with a free pass on a very questionable campaign and agenda.

14. PanMetron says:

Oh, correction, I meant clintondems.com.

15. The vice presidency has always been whatever the Vice President had made it. I only trust what I’ve personally lived, and I’ve never lived with a V.P. that had a constituency at least as strong as that of the person at the head of the ticket. In business I believe that’s called being co-CEO’s.

Is Hillary strong enough to make her own way in the world? Even in the world that tries to revolve around Barack Obama? How about a co-Presidency that revolves around one person focused on mainly a domestic agenda, and one who is sort of the ethereal idea guy, who’s out there trying to prepare the foundation for the next stage of planetary growth.

16. indypol says:

Forget about Senate Majority Leader. She should plan for the presidency using stealth. Hillary should start a listening tour in a week or so, and work her way across the swing states.

17. PanMetron

Refresh my memory – did you not say you were Kerry ’04? Because, frankly I find the post about about Kerry on ClintonDems to be quite disturbing and I know categorically that Senator Clinton would not appove of her supporters going after JK.

Who will be next Ted Kennedy? Good gracious

18. Theresa says:

PanMetron, I agree with you entirely. It is good to hear a Democrat who is willing to look at what is wrong instead of jumping on the power bandwagon. Some serious problems have come into focus during this campaign and they need to be addressed by everyone who can do so. One is that prejudice against women in positions of authority and control is far more entrenched, extensive, and sometimes subtle than other prejudices. Another is the extremely low level of broadcast and print “journalism” in regard to politics. They seem to have no standards apart from their own preferences and egos. And the Democrats really have a lot of cleaning up to do.

My preference would be for Hillary to be Senate Majority Leader and start bringing fair-minded Democrats together to form a reformed Democratic party, or maybe some other name. This may seem horrific to some Democrats, maybe even to Hillary. But we need a party that will have a clearly stated agenda of fairness, honesty, respect for everyone, and service to all, as well as fair and equal rules for voting in all states and territories. I can’t see Hillary being part of this administration. although I understand her decision to go all out to support him. After the hideous, contemptuous rantings about Hillary and Bill by Wright and then Pfleger’s nasty, false accusations, it is especially noticeable to me that Pfleger was admonished and temporarily suspended by his superior but Obama, who had made much of his church membership, couldn’t express disagreement with the content of the remarks. He was disappointed, but what was he disappointed about?

19. Mark says:

Hi All: I have written open letters to Senator Clinton and Senator Obama at http://www.MenforHillary.org.

IMHO, the only way the party can proceed toward “healing” and unity, is if Obama publicly recognizes the relative illegitimacy of the process that put him where he currently is. To do otherwise, is to be in denial and to continue to leave an undercurrent of unresolved messiness.

As I have stated at my blog, I would consider rejoining the party if there is a significant move to reform the primary process and if Obama makes it one of his priorities to fix the primary process so that even in close primaries, like this one, the will of the people can be determined.

You understand what I am saying?

The other day I said I was moving on to other issues, like providing support blogging for women candidates on a site called Men4Women.org.

However, I got a litte ahead of myself. I had promised to work on primary reform, but was figuring (optimistically) that that would take place after November… well, I have returned to my roots, so to speak.

My next project IS primary reform and posts will be found at http://www.PrimaryReform.net.

20. PanMetron

Sorry, I’m going to follow up and say there is some very sad and disturbing misplaced anger on that website that will not help HRC in any way shape or form.

21. PanMetron says:

Pamela – I voted for Kerry in ’04, that’s it. No donations, no blogging; I could not find any passion. I know he’s blogged here and I honestly don’t know how I feel about him, except that I have a vague mistrust of the east-coast liberal establishment and its bias against the (very positive IMO) changes the Clintons brought to the Democratic platform.

In ’04 I was actually a misguided Dean supporter. I now want to see Dean kicked out of office at the DNC; he has utterly botched our party’s electoral process and opened up serious vulnerabilities that the RNC is already starting to make the most of. If I was as prone to hyperbole and conspiracy theory as the nutjobs at KOS and the Nation I’d assert that Dean and Kerry both worked behind the scenes (not just on the trail) with other northeast (and Chicago) libs – and media elites – to ensure Obama got the nod, in order to undermine Clintonism in general. Wouldn’t that be a whack idea to suggest!

As for ’04, I realize too late that Wesley Clark was the only decent candidate of the lot and I should have worked my heart out for him – but I saved it all for Hillary. 🙂

I understand that some of the diaries at clintondems.com are a little strong, but that anger is just the tip of the iceberg.

22. PanMetron

The anger is misplaced and not at all helpful to HRC. And I have to say some of what is being said there is vile and contemtuous and I personally hope that HRC and her staff disavow from that website.

I commented on the Kerry thread there and disagreed and the comments were deleted. I also posted a diary and said as a Clinton supporter I didn’t think people were helping her and guess what — that was deleted too. Is that what you want to be a part of to support HRC?

And yes, Kerry has blogged here, I worked for his campaign in ’04 and I STILL support him. I hope to have him back here blogging one day now that the primaries are over. Because you know what Pan Metron, John Kerry and his staff respected my decision to support HRC, and I respected his decision to support Obama. His staff reads this blog on a regular basis. I believe it is possible to support both HRC and Kerry. They are both fine Sentors.

Oh and count me as east-coast liberal who wholeheartedly supports the “establishment” from Massachusetts — where I lived for 33 years and still technically call home!!