Today, the Obama Administration’s Justice Department stepped up to reveal some of the Bush Administration’s many secrets and “released a long-secret legal document from 2001 in which the Bush administration claimed the military could search and seize terror suspects in the United States without warrants.”
The legal memo was written about a month after the Sept. 11 terror attacks. It says constitutional protections against unlawful search and seizure would not apply to terror suspects in the U.S., as long as the president or another high official authorized the action.
Even after the Bush administration rescinded that legal analysis, the Justice Department refused to release its contents, prompting a standoff with congressional Democrats.
It was one of nine memos released by the Obama administration today. The author of the memo was John Yoo.
In a speech just a few hours before the memos were released, Attorney General Eric Holder said:
“Too often over the past decade, the fight against terrorism has been viewed as a zero-sum battle with our civil liberties. Not only is that school of thought misguided, I fear that in actuality it does more harm than good.”
In a related piece of news today, documents were also released that “show the CIA destroyed nearly 100 tapes of terror interrogations, far more than has previously been acknowledged.”
I hope the Obama Administration continues to expose the wrongs wrought on our nation by the Bush Administration and that they will seek justice by filing criminal charges against the Bush Administration.